Schiit Bifrost or HRT Streamer II?
Apr 15, 2012 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Firstandrepair

Head-Fier

Hey y'all,

I'm wanting to know whether or not the sound from using the Schiit Bifrost as a DAC is actually $200 superior to HRT Streamer II.  From everything I've read, the HRT Streamer II is a solid DAC, and I'm debating whether to pull the trigger on them now or save up for a Schiit Bifrost.  Its a difficult choice for me since I'm coming from no demo experience whatsoever; the best audio quality I've heard is out of my current setup, which even then seems to be lacking.

Currently I'm using the FiiO e10 as a DAC/Amp to power my speakers and HD650's (Not so great a set up I know, but ya gotta start somewhere) and plan on buying the Little Dot MK III as a tube amp for the 650s, but am torn between which DAC to use. 

If you have any other ideas of a good DAC for around $350 or less I'd definitely be interested.  I'd be using an optical S/PDIF out from my sound card, Realtek ALC892, if that's important.

Any recommendations or insight would be appreciated, Thanks!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 10
For the money, I don't think I've heard a DAC that could beat the HRT Music Streamer II.  For your $350 budget, you could get the II+, which is as a single ended source is VERY hard to beat. 

All that said, there will be no optical input into either the II or II+, they are USB only.  I assume you know that already, but just in case.

I've heard the Bifrost for only a few minutes at a meet, but I liked what I heard.  I've not heard it in any of my systems, so I can't give much of a comparison, other than to say that it seemed lively and full-throated paired with an Asgard and HD600's.

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the response, I've been leaning towards the HRT because of all the rave reviews I've read. If anything I'll be able to scale up later on since the 650's are so versatile. I'm guessing since I'm going the tube amp route I don't necessarily need the distinctions that higher grade DACs offer

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 10
I would probably take the e10 over any DAC + a tube amp based on it's fairly good measured performance. . .

But if you must "upgrade" I would chose the company that doesn't make amps that damage headphones, HRT. :wink:

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Thanks for the response, I've been leaning towards the HRT because of all the rave reviews I've read. If anything I'll be able to scale up later on since the 650's are so versatile. I'm guessing since I'm going the tube amp route I don't necessarily need the distinctions that higher grade DACs offer

I'm running the HRT II+ with WA6 & HD800, the sound quality is quite decent for the price and size, but you'll need to factor in the cost of a good interconnect & USB cable to milk the full potential.

I've never heard the Bitfrost, but with an equally talented designer but advantage of larger power supply and discrete output stages, I doubt the HRT is going to be able to beat it.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 10
I may end up getting the HRT II and holding off on a higher grade DAC until I absolutely need to, if ever.  I'm currently loving the HD650's sound, but I can only imagine what a tube amp and a decent DAC would add to the experience.  

I'm running the HRT II+ with WA6 & HD800, the sound quality is quite decent for the price and size, but you'll need to factor in the cost of a good interconnect & USB cable to milk the full potential.

I've never heard the Bitfrost, but with an equally talented designer but advantage of larger power supply and discrete output stages, I doubt the HRT is going to be able to beat it.

Any companies/cables you'd recommend for interconnects? I hadn't ever thought that the USB cable would make much of a difference in sound since its just sending 0's and 1's to the DAC, is it noticable?

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 10
Cables work as part of your system and can be subjective, so best to audition a few with a return policy. I really like Anti-cable IC (bullet plug) in terms of transparency and neutral tonal balance, but if you're using entry level SS hardware, the Belden 1505F from Blue Jean is safe - always smooth and warm but resolution is only fair.

I'm using the Furutech Formula2 USB cable. There are reasonably priced USB cables from Moon Audio, Wireworld and DH Labs that you can try.

BTW, the II & II+ are supposed to offer quite a different level of performance although they look almost similar.

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 10
Yeah it seems like there is a big quality difference between the HRT II and HRT II+, but I think the same price difference boils down to my original issue with paying $200 more for the bifrost. At least thats my logic behind sticking with the HRT II

Users who are viewing this thread

Back