Schiit Bifrost multibit vs multibit DAC module
Apr 16, 2018 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

USAudio

500+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Lyr 2 and Bifrost Multibit with Gen 5 USB (I only use the USB input).

I'm considering giving the Lyr 3 a try, but how does the new multibit DAC module available for the Lyr 3 compare to the Bifrost?

Sound quailty is always the top priority -- should I just get the Lyr 3 with no module and stick with the Bifrost or is the new multibit DAC module comparable to the Bifrost multibit now?

Anyone know what Gen USB the multibit DAC module uses?

Thoughts? Thanks!

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 5
The optional multibit DAC in the Lyr 3 is supposedly comparable in performance to the Modi Multibit. Like that DAC, it uses the G2 USB interface.

Although I've not heard the multibit DAC module (or the Lyr 3 for that matter) I'd stretch for the Bifrost Multibit if the goal was to have a compact, single-ended set of components. Opinions vary, but I thought the Bifrost sounded significantly better than the Modi Multibit. Add to that it's upgradability, built-in G5 USB, and the conveniently stackable configuration.

There's just not much reason to go with the Lyr 3's multibit module, unless you're either severely constrained by cost or demand your headphone system occupy a single power outlet.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the feedback Valens7, I appreciate it.

As expected, it sounds like the Bifrost is superior sound-quality-wise to the DAC module. So I think it makes sense to stick with the Bifrost MB at this time and give the Lyr 3 a try with no optional modules.

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 5
Yeah Bitfrost has the GEN 5, the Lyr 3 will come with GEN 2 if you get the multibit option. Much cleaner signal with the Bitfrost and overall better component layout. If you really need an All-in-one, the Lyr 3 with the multibit option would work well, but you may sacrifice some.

Apr 18, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 5
Yeah I remember reading one of Jason's chapters where he discusses the compromises they had to make with the Bifrost Multibit due to DAC board space availability -- choosing to use an opamp instead of a discrete analog output stage, so it makes sense the compromises they had to make for the even-smaller DAC module are even greater.

Thanks Elluzion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back