Schiit Bifrost Multibit Question
Aug 6, 2018 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nnordstr

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a way to tell if you have a standard Schitt Bifrost or the multibit version by looking at the outside of it? I purchased one online thinking I was getting a Bimby, but the more I reread the confusing description the more I think the online seller doesn't know the difference between the 2.

Aug 7, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 9
Is there a way to tell if you have a standard Schitt Bifrost or the multibit version by looking at the outside of it? I purchased one online thinking I was getting a Bimby, but the more I reread the confusing description the more I think the online seller doesn't know the difference between the 2.
Yes, there is a sticker on the back saying "Bifrost multibit".

Aug 7, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 9
When you power it on, do the lights cycle - or does it immediately boot up? The firmware in the Multibit takes a little while to "boot" up, and the lights will cycle at the initial start.

Aug 8, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 9
I have not received it yet. I'll look for the sticker and the tip about the boot up is good to look for too. earChasm and sheldaze, thank you both very much.
You are welcome and I hope you will like your new toy :.)

Aug 8, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 9
The seller could have easily won the case if they said that what they meant by "multibit" was that it was capable of handling more than one bit.
I had that happen to me recently with an "IBM Clicky Keyboard". It turned out to not be mechanical and just cheap rubber dome even though they had a mechanical keyboard price on it. eBay wouldn't let me return it because "clicky" was subjective. :confused:

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #8 of 9
The product delivered did not match the online product description and is being returned so it is back to the interwebs to look for gear for me.
Bummer, but he! Half the fun is hunting down a nice piece of gear for a good price :.)

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 9
To answer PointyFox's reply with a short story made longer than it needs to, I got lucky in this transaction. When I received the Bifrost there was no USB input. Which was no good as that's what I was going to use as the input in my setup. I contacted the seller, pointed this out and was told that the listing never said there was a USB input. Despite the copied and pasted verbatim listing taken from Schitt's website with descriptions of the multibit input and the standard DAC chip input. I quickly screen capped the description and showed that a USB input was listed and the seller agreed to a full refund as the product listing was incorrectly written by him. I got lucky. I was reminded of the best practices for online buying: when buying something used, make sure you see pictures of the item as is. And be wary of people who copy and paste full descriptions without any other text.

I think some benevolent audio deity is looking out for me too for some reason. I've found a Bifrost for a fair price a local online classified ad website that I saw listed before on. This listing has pictures of it and it has a USB input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back