Schiit battle: Mimby+Magni/Modi+Valhalla/Jotenheim+dac card
Nov 28, 2017 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Headphoneus Supremus
$350 / 400 for the Modi Multibit and Magni / Vali
$450 for the Modi ds and Valhalla
$500 for the Jotenheim with the ds (AKM 4490 chip)
$500 / 550 for the BiFrost ds with the Magni / Vali

I have Sennheiser 650
Grado 125
Awaiting iSine 10
Sennheiser PXC 550 too but mostly for travel

I guess I am asking, is it better to focus on the DAC or the AMP?

Any opinions on how kosher to buy two sets with the intention of returning at least one?

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 10
I think the Modi + Valhalla 2 is the best pairing for the 650. I have the Jot which I use for my 650 and I really like the extra bit of brightness, but everybody else raves about the Valhalla or Bottlehead Crack with the 650.

I've heard plenty of people say that most of the popular DACs under 200 bucks perform about the same. I repeatedly hear that the Modi Multibit rises above those DACs and keeps up with units more expensive than itself.

I think the ideal setup is Mimby+Valhalla 2 but that's 600 bucks. I'd say get the Mimby+Magni 3 or Vali 2 and then set your sights on the Bottlehead Crack, Darkvoice 336 or Valhalla 2 as an upgrade. I don't think you'd need to upgrade the Mimby at all, even if you got new headphones

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 10
I think the Modi + Valhalla 2 is the best pairing for the 650. I have the Jot which I use for my 650 and I really like the extra bit of brightness, but everybody else raves about the Valhalla or Bottlehead Crack with the 650.

I've heard plenty of people say that most of the popular DACs under 200 bucks perform about the same. I repeatedly hear that the Modi Multibit rises above those DACs and keeps up with units more expensive than itself.

I think the ideal setup is Mimby+Valhalla 2 but that's 600 bucks. I'd say get the Mimby+Magni 3 or Vali 2 and then set your sights on the Bottlehead Crack, Darkvoice 336 or Valhalla 2 as an upgrade. I don't think you'd need to upgrade the Mimby at all, even if you got new headphones

Thank you for your reply. There is a dark voice 336se on massdrop right now for $200. And it's pretty!

Do you think the balanced setup with the 650 is a huge improvement on it's sound?

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 10
Thank you for your reply. There is a dark voice 336se on massdrop right now for $200. And it's pretty!

Do you think the balanced setup with the 650 is a huge improvement on it's sound?
In terms of my exact setup, I think the Jotunheim XLR output sounds slightly better than the SE output. I notice a slight increase in channel separation and clarity which is noticeable to me right away but to other maybe not so much. I wouldn't worry about balanced if it costs more, most of the time it doesn't really make a difference anyway. Just in terms of the Jot, the balanced out sounds better to me

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 10
I went for the Mimby and vali 2 as the magni 3 is out of stock for two weeks (at least).

It sounds to me as though the magni 3 has a quieter background but the Vali and the Mimby seem like such great deals at their price I couldn't resist.

I was so excited I forgot to order a cable. And I can't even say I'm Pyst!

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 10

If you have the LCD2 Fazor, why do you still use the HD 650 ?

Dec 2, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 10
If you have the LCD2 Fazor, why do you still use the HD 650 ?
I keep it around for my turntable, if I can't use my home theater speakers. Intimate soundstage and warmth sound amazing to me with vinyl records. The LCD2 stays paired with my Jot at my desk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back