Schiit Audio Ragnarok Ampilifer : Magnepan Mini Desktop or .7 match???
Feb 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Synergist969

100+ Head-Fier
  To Whom it May Interest:

I am interested in how well the Schiit Audio Ragnarok headphone amplifier might drive a  pair of Magnepan Mini Desktop speakers, (with or without the DWM panels), and/or how well the "Rag" might drive the Magnepan .7 speakers, again, with or without the DWM panels...

Has anyone had experience driving ANY "Maggies" with the "Rag"...?...as I have acquired said headphone amp., and since acquiring a pair of Audeze LCD-2's, I am "addicted" to that magnetic-planar sound signature...

Any input would be appreciated!
  Thank you in advance.

Peace/Namaste,
  T. A. Kogstrom 

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 6
LOL...ummm...errr...the title should read: "Schiit Audio Ragnarok "Amplifier"...  I don't suppose a Forum administrator could/would correct that little faux pas...?...Please...???...

Thank you.

Peace/Namaste,
T. A. Kogstrom

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 6
    To Whom it May Interest:

I am interested in how well the Schiit Audio Ragnarok headphone amplifier might drive a  pair of Magnepan Mini Desktop speakers, (with or without the DWM panels), and/or how well the "Rag" might drive the Magnepan .7 speakers, again, with or without the DWM panels...

Has anyone had experience driving ANY "Maggies" with the "Rag"...?...as I have acquired said headphone amp., and since acquiring a pair of Audeze LCD-2's, I am "addicted" to that magnetic-planar sound signature...

Any input would be appreciated!
  Thank you in advance.

Peace/Namaste,
  T. A. Kogstrom 

I've asked "What speakers are owners using with the Rag? " on the Hi-end Audio forum and gotten no replies. It seems no one wants to divulge what they are using with the Rag. LOL

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Magnepan's have a reputation of being difficult to drive. But for purely desktop use nearfield, good chance that the Ragnorak might be enough. I would seek a Magnepan enthusiast forum somewhere, share the specs of the Ragnorak, and see what they say :)

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 6
I have a pair of MG12s attached to my Rag. It drives them superbly. Bass is very present and lovingly rendered.
Most of the time I use the high gain setting, but at night I can get away with mid or even low.

You'll have no trouble driving smaller mags with this amp. Yes, Magnepans of the distant past did earn a 'hard to drive' reputation, but that doesn't hold for modern Maggies. Planar tech seems to be getting more and more efficient, just look at the trend in cans: HE-560s and the Oppos, for example.

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 6
Maggies work very well with amps that are not monster powerfull, however bass might be lacking ( most people go by this by getting a sub ).
Bare in mind that maggies improve their base response in a similar way as a plannar HP.

For an analogy:

the HE-400 I own works very well with my cowon i9, that only outputs 30 mW to 16 Ohm. The bass is still there (its a bassy HP after all) and its actually well rendered but it does not stop on a dime, and it always feels as if you were blowing a candle and always missing the last straw to get the fire dead.

In my asgard, with 1W to 32 ohms (so around 65 times more power) the bass is what id expect it to be.

In terms of maggies, if people running them say the abss is lacking with 60W, 100W amps, using  the same analogy, youd need 65 000 W of power for the maggies (an obvious overkill... as it would kill your maggies if you ever had the chance to run an amp like that) so using a 1000 W amp might not be that crazy for maggies if you want bass to be more present.

Thats the theory, but obviously youd need to try them yourself.

The second thing is that they cant be next to a wall. They need some distance from it, about 1.25 meters. This also improves soundstage and bass, so make sure you figure it out before you commit to maggies.

My ex was maggie (at least that was what everyone called her) so im skipping this company :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back