Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jan 23, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #4,681 of 4,971
I'm not usually one to stress about shipping delays and I had read, prior to order from Schiit Europe, about their shipping practices not being the best but I never had a case such as this...

I order a Bifrost 2/24 monday last week (on the 15th) when the website mention a 2 day period to get it shipped. To my surprise, I got an email saying it was ready to ship a couple hours after making my order. Also got an email from the transporter at the same time saying they got the details for my order. Since then, I've got 0 updates and its been over a week. Transporter status is still at the initial step of getting the details and no further. I not sure if I should contact Schiit or the transporter to find out if everything is alright. Is this usual behavior?

Is it coming from the US or Europe?

Our weather in the US is crap right now. But, you can always reach out to Schiit. The shipping times on the website sometimes are not accurate.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #4,682 of 4,971
Is it coming from the US or Europe?

Our weather in the US is crap right now. But, you can always reach out to Schiit. The shipping times on the website sometimes are not accurate.
From Schiit Europe.

I got in contact with them and seems like there's something abnormal with my order. Might have gotten a wrong tracking link from them or my order got mixed up somehow. I'm sure I'll get it resolved with them. My goal in posting here was to try to understand if it was in fact something odd going on with my order or not, and from the convo with the costumer services I think it is. Thanks though

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #4,683 of 4,971
is it worth upgrading to the Bifrost 2 from the MMB2?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #4,684 of 4,971
I haven't listened to MM2 to BF2/64 side by side, but if I were to do it again I'd just get two MM2. Only reason I got the Bifrost was because it lives in my living room setup as a dual system for TV and music so having the remote is plenty handy.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #4,685 of 4,971
is it worth upgrading to the Bifrost 2 from the MMB?
Yes. It is worthwhile moving up the DAC upgrade path. Your budget or how much you're willing to spend is the limit.

However, the other components (headphones, speakers, and amp) factor in as well.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #4,686 of 4,971
is it worth upgrading to the Bifrost 2 from the MMB?
As an owner of both, I've never really heard a difference. If your amp only has RCA in, then I'd just stick with MMB2. But the BF2 has both XLR and RCA out, both outputting simultaneously, so in a way it's like having two DACs in one, and if that would be useful to you, then I'd recommend that instead. For instance I usually have my BF2 outputting XLR to a solid-state amp and outputting RCA to a tube amp, and it's nice that there's no setup required to switch between the two. Just turn whichever amp on and go.

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #4,687 of 4,971
As an owner of both, I've never really heard a difference. If your amp only has RCA in, then I'd just stick with MMB2. But the BF2 has both XLR and RCA out, both outputting simultaneously, so in a way it's like having two DACs in one, and if that would be useful to you, then I'd recommend that instead. For instance I usually have my BF2 outputting XLR to a solid-state amp and outputting RCA to a tube amp, and it's nice that there's no setup required to switch between the two. Just turn whichever amp on and go.
this was my thought process. I have the SA-1 amp that has balanced inputs, so I was wondering if it is worth upgrading to the BF2 to use balanced outs instead of the RCAs I currently use on the MMB2.

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #4,688 of 4,971
this was my thought process. I have the SA-1 amp that has balanced inputs, so I was wondering if it is worth upgrading to the BF2 to use balanced outs instead of the RCAs I currently use on the MMB2.
SA-1 is an interesting beast in that, in order to get the best audio out of it, you have to run both balanced in and balanced out. So yeah, while the BF2 and MMB2 sound very similar, being able to use the better amp topology should be a noticeable difference for you.

Jan 25, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #4,689 of 4,971
There's more to the BF 2/64 than just being balanced. You have a better power supply, better analog output, NOS option, the newer TI chip, and it's upgradable.

The MMB2 is very good, but the BF2/64 is significantly better especially if you have the ability to run balanced.

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #4,691 of 4,971
Would you get a used in Gungnir A2 MB Gen 5 USB for €500 in 2024?
Or should I save up to a Bifrost 2/64?
I would get the Gungnir. I love mine (it has Unison USB though). I haven’t heard the Bifrost 2/64, but the Gungnir certainly outperforms the Bifrost2 OG which I also have (and it outperforms my Modi MB OG).

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #4,693 of 4,971
New (used) Bifrost 2/64 owner here. As soon as I got it, I connected it to my PC using USB connection and had it connected to my tube amp via RCA. The tube amp has Topping D10 in input 1 and the Bifrost 2/64 in input 2. After having things on for about 30 mins, I started listening A/B-ing the two inputs.

My initial impression is that I can't tell the difference between the two listening on HD800S. I was literally switching back and forth between the inputs using a switch and there's shockingly little to no difference. Perhaps the Bifrost is a bit smoother, like taking the edge off, than the D10, but the bass hits harder on the D10. Soundstage and the instrument separation is about the same. Maybe a tad bit wider on the Bifrost but that could be my brain making things up as I couldn't really quantify the difference.

Can anyone tell me what could be going on here? I just ordered an XLR switch so I can compare the XLR outputs between the Bifrost and my 15-years old PS Audio Digital Link III DAC.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #4,694 of 4,971
New (used) Bifrost 2/64 owner here. As soon as I got it, I connected it to my PC using USB connection and had it connected to my tube amp via RCA. The tube amp has Topping D10 in input 1 and the Bifrost 2/64 in input 2. After having things on for about 30 mins, I started listening A/B-ing the two inputs.

My initial impression is that I can't tell the difference between the two listening on HD800S. I was literally switching back and forth between the inputs using a switch and there's shockingly little to no difference. Perhaps the Bifrost is a bit smoother, like taking the edge off, than the D10, but the bass hits harder on the D10. Soundstage and the instrument separation is about the same. Maybe a tad bit wider on the Bifrost but that could be my brain making things up as I couldn't really quantify the difference.

Can anyone tell me what could be going on here? I just ordered an XLR switch so I can compare the XLR outputs between the Bifrost and my 15-years old PS Audio Digital Link III DAC.
This is on par with the differences I hear between a similar R2R DAC and a Topping one. I decided to keep the R2R DAC since after listening to it for a few songs and then switching to the Topping, my ears immediately felt fatigued. This feeling subsided really quickly, but my logic was, if my ears are feeling fatigued after a listening session and now they're not, its worth it.

You'll most likely hear differences on specific songs, where the Topping would give you the impression that its 'clearer' because it highlights everything, while the R2R layered them in the background. So one might say sounding bigger.

I'm no audiophile, but this is what I experienced.. I thought I was the only one :relieved:

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #4,695 of 4,971

I've found the best way to compare DACs isn't flipping back and forth immediately, but rather listen to them for prolonged periods, even days and then change. Maybe put the Topping away for a couple days and listen to the Bifrost. The differences are subtle, but I find them easier to notice when listening to how music sounds as a whole, and how transients in the music sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back