Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Dec 4, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #4,651 of 4,960
My point was about the Schiit DS options, not all DS DACs. The beauty of the Schiit DACs is the multibit and Mike Moffat's megacomboburrito filter. The Schiit DS products sound good, but the Multibit sound better.
Now it's clearer to me and I agree with your words (sorry, but sometimes, since it's not my language I can understand partially) :thumbsup:

As for the Lyr, you read proportionately high negative posts on these forums. That's not reality. HeadFi only represents a small sub set of audiophiles. And, as good as Schiit is, they aren't perfect. That's why they have such good warranty and customer service.
I understand your point, but I have never seen so many inconveniences, even repeat offenders, and happening to so many different people in a single thread...
I could make a phone call to the distributor who markets Schiit in my country, and see if he finds a way to convince me to purchase the Lyr+ :relaxed:

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #4,652 of 4,960
Avevo dato un'occhiata anche alle Jotunheim2, ma da quello che ho capito, per sfruttarlo al meglio era preferibile usare l'uscita XLR bilanciata, perché da quella 6.3 si ottiene circa la metà della potenza, mentre attualmente ho solo 3 cuffie con uscita sbilanciata cavo (K701-DT880-600ohm/HD650).
Per questo ho pensato che l'amplificatore nato per essere utilizzato sbilanciato e a piena potenza fosse l'Asgard. Ho avuto una Audeze LCD-X in passato, è stata una storia finita male che mi ha fatto allontanare da qualsiasi cuffia planare. Tuttavia, in futuro potrei acquistare altre cuffie dinamiche di alta qualità.
PS Ascolto queste cuffie nella stanza in cui ho il mio sistema di altoparlanti principale con Bricasti M1/Bryston BHA-1. Lo Schiit sarebbe destinato all'ascolto mentre navigo sul PC, che è in un'altra stanza.

Single-Ended Headphone Output specs:

Asgard3
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 3.5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 2.5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 600mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 300mW RMS per channel

Jotunheim2
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2.4W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 330mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 165mW RMS per channel
Right, well if you're only ever going to use 6.3 SE, then A3 is the better choice. But if you ever have an inkling to switch to balanced XLR, then the Jot2 handily outperforms the Asgard3, especially with some of the more demanding headphones you have. Plus it'll be more future-proof if you get others in future.

For just $120 more, the Jot2 seems a no-brainer to me really, maybe it was different when A3 was $199.

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #4,653 of 4,960
Right, well if you're only ever going to use 6.3 SE, then A3 is the better choice. But if you ever have an inkling to switch to balanced XLR, then the Jot2 handily outperforms the Asgard3, especially with some of the more demanding headphones you have. Plus it'll be more future-proof if you get others in future.

For just $120 more, the Jot2 seems a no-brainer to me really, maybe it was different when A3 was $199.
I had no idea that a silver Asgard 3 is $309.00 now until I just looked. I paid $200 for my silver one. The $200 price really made it a special deal, especially when you consider it was roughly only a hundred more than a Magni. I no longer have it because I use a Vahalla 2 now but I should stuck it drawer.

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #4,654 of 4,960

Price difference aside, I'm really afraid that to drive my three current headphones well, especially the 600 ohm DT880, the Jot2 doesn't have enough power on the SE output. I also realize that Asgard3 can limit the potential of Bifrost2/64, for this reason I would choose Lyr+, I would have the feeling of making a more balanced marriage.
I have to dispel my fears that Lyr+ is a delicate amplifier, :relieved: probably if I hadn't snooped around his thread,
I would have been ripe for the order.

(I have serious doubts that what I write is grammatically acceptable, bear with me.)

Dec 4, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #4,655 of 4,960
Price difference aside, I'm really afraid that to drive my three current headphones well, especially the 600 ohm DT880, the Jot2 doesn't have enough power on the SE output. I also realize that Asgard3 can limit the potential of Bifrost2/64, for this reason I would choose Lyr+, I would have the feeling of making a more balanced marriage.
I have to dispel my fears that Lyr+ is a delicate amplifier, :relieved: probably if I hadn't snooped around his thread,

(I have serious doubts that what I write is grammatically acceptable, bear with me.)
I'm listening to the DT 880 600 ohm right now via the Jot 2 SE. Not sure how loud you like your music, I like between 75 and 80 DB. No issues.

Leo

Dec 5, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #4,656 of 4,960

That's true, the Jot2 SE is perhaps just a little behind the Asgard3, but I really think you'd be better off with the Jot2 and the respective balanced cables for your headphones. Not a lot more $$ investment for a significant upgrade in SQ and more versatility in the future.

Dec 5, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #4,657 of 4,960
@Neweymatt @Luckyleo
I was wondering: going out in balanced mode from the XLR outputs of the Bifrost 2/46, to enter the balanced XLR inputs of the Jot2,
will I benefit from the increase in volume also on the SE output of the Jot2?
This is exactly what happens with my Bryston BHA-1, if I connect it (from the DAC) to the balanced XLR inputs, the power also doubles in the SE 6.3mm connection, and not just from the XLR4 outputs.
If this were the case, it would change the matter a lot (if there were someone from Schiit Audio to confirm or deny it, it would be excellent).

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #4,658 of 4,960
Bifrost 2/64 XLR to Jot2 will be 6dB louder (a noticeable increase) for a given volume control setting than using Bifrost RCA out to Jot2.

As DT880 600 ohm is 96db/mW, Jot2 should provide over 116dB at rated power of 115mW SE TRS out (same for either XLR or RCA input) with 2Vrms (0dBFS SE) signal input.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #4,659 of 4,960
Bifrost 2/64 XLR to Jot2 will be 6dB louder (a noticeable increase) for a given volume control setting than using Bifrost RCA out to Jot2.

As DT880 600 ohm is 96db/mW, Jot2 should provide over 116dB at rated power of 115mW SE TRS out (same for either XLR or RCA input) with 2Vrms (0dBFS SE) signal input.
So, theoretically, Jot2 should have more than enough power, and with higher quality than Asgard 3, right?

Dec 9, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #4,660 of 4,960
Just got my BF 2/64 a few days ago. Been leaving it turned on nonstop so it can warm up & burn in.. so far I’m quite surprised that it doesn’t sound better. My expectations were quite high and after comparing it vs the EF400 and my old Topping DX7 dac, I’m struggling to see why ppl like this dac. Using a Schiit Lyr+ in SS and tube mode (with several diff tubes) and doing A B C comparisons… the BF 2/64 to my ears sounds slightly veiled overall but also has a weird slightly harsher presentation in the treble when comparing to my delta sigma and other R2R dac. Makes no sense because the reviews I’ve read stated the opposite of what I’m experiencing. Tried running via optical & usb. Not sure if there’s anything else I’m missing. I do prefer the filter over running in NOS mode (filter just sounds better). I’ve read the BF2 needs to be burned in a bit when you get it… I’ve had it on for 3 days straight. Is that enough or does it take longer for the “good sound” to finally emerge?
With Unison keep the resolution to 24 bit/192. If its sounds harsh-something else is giong on.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #4,661 of 4,960
When higher frequency detail does not come through, what remains and gets amplified is frequencies below that point. Same thing occurs with rolled of vacuum tubes. All a matter of preference. I moved from a warmish tube r2r tube dac to the BF 2/64 in order for some of the missing detail, tone, and texture to come through. It does.
Agreed. Once I went to a Primaluna Evo 300 Amp (KT88's) driven by my Van Alstine 10 RB-the BF2 OG starts sounded a bit veiled. Still good. The 2/64 works perfect. And IMHO the BF 2/64 sounds as good as the Gungnir. It now has the same soundstage depth (vs BF2 OG) but has superior rhythm/dynamics and texture. All the while retaining a natural bass-natural , open sound. Compared to the Yggy OG-in my system I would take the BF2/64 hand down. The main reason? Less colored-while still sounding natural, organic and easy to listen to. I thought originally the BF2/64 might be too bright. Thats not the case. Unless you have a tilted up system. The BF2/64 should be a preferred DAC IMHO. The TI chips may have something to do with it. But I think they specifically were going for a more open/less veiled sound-was still just as musical-if not even more. And this is through stock Infinity RSiiia's-hardly going to hide much. IMHO get the BF2/64 and be happy. If it sounds bright and Schiity, your system is tilted up/or lacks good low end response. This guy is a very natural sounding DAC.
What a modern Gumby would be.
Frankly-even my Modi MB2-runing through and Van Alstine FET Valve CFRB, Prologue 5 KT88, driving my MOJO MODDED ESS AMT3's (Great Heils) , with the exception of sound stage depth-in many ways sounds then my Gungnir. It too has moved away from the dark sound MB1-and sounds like the wax was cleaned out of it's outputs. Smooth natural and open-like audio should be. The warm is great for awhile-but it's like driving at night with cataracts.....numbing, but not to pleasant. In the end I want to hear all of what the program material has to offer. Well balanced-not bright and harsh-over vielded/'musical' but detailed. Veiled isn't musical.
Granted some of these differences are small. But overtime, and hours day/months/years-they start becoming big.
The nice thing about the BF2/64-if your looking at say a 2-3 k dac-you can use the extra cash to improve something else in your system. Like maybe going tubes. Thats going to have way more of a profound, positive outcome with your system, then swapping out a more or less great sounding dac.
Of course my opinion-but I've been in this game for 50+ years. (Thank God I'm still not deaf!!) I should have kept that old kit built Citation V/IV system my dad had in mind. WOuld have saved my self some serious $$. But the fun and knowledge-it was well worth it regardless.
Just a FIY-going all tube doesn't mean rolled of highs, or woolly bass. IMHO going tube, if done right, means natural, open full frequency sound top to bottom-with a wide open sound-SS no matter how hard it try's-simply can't duplicate.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #4,663 of 4,960
Currently comparing jot2/midgard/lyr if I decide to tube it up. If I end up with the jot2, what difference would I be looking at between a BF2 and the true multibit card I can get as a module?

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #4,664 of 4,960
Currently comparing jot2/midgard/lyr if I decide to tube it up. If I end up with the jot2, what difference would I be looking at between a BF2 and the true multibit card I can get as a module?
The upgrade card is basically the same as a MMB2.
The BF2OG would be a different sound, slightly warmer.
It really depends on your preference.
I have a BF2OG, and the MMB2-I like both-and could live with either.

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #4,665 of 4,960
The upgrade card is basically the same as a MMB2.
The BF2OG would be a different sound, slightly warmer.
It really depends on your preference.
I have a BF2OG, and the MMB2-I like both-and could live with either.
How big is the difference? Would you consider it a clear upgrade or a tonal side-grade? BF2 is obviously a lot more expensive, but I expect this stack to last me a long time so I would save up for the BF if worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back