Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Nov 14, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #4,636 of 4,960
Perhaps I hear an improvement in the sound after turning on the BF2 2/64 and warming up the BF2 2/64 and the tube amplifier for a while.

That's perfectly normal. IMHO the biggest change would be within the first 30 minutes of powering the BF2 or 2/64 on then it tapers really drastically but it goes to the grey area after 1 week of being turned on. One thing most agree on is that those who leave their DACs 24/7/365 never had complaints that their DAC is not performing at the maximum level that it can. Tube DACs are a completely different animal though and those will always need to be treated as a tube amp power cycle behavior.

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #4,637 of 4,960
Im currently running a Valhalla 2 with a modi multibit and Eitr. Seems there are some Bifrost 1s with unison on the Schiit site. Is the BF1 a significant upgrade over the Modi Multibit or should I just go right for trying to find a used BF2?

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #4,638 of 4,960
I've read where someone compared the Bitfrost to the MMB2 and couldn't tell a difference. Something to consider. I believe that it was in the MMB2 thread if you want to wade through there to find it.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #4,639 of 4,960
I have the BF2/64 and MMB2 and I haven't tried, but I probably couldn't tell the difference between the two in a blind A/B.

The BF2 having both XLR and RCA outs is handy for, A) any amp with XLR in, and B) connecting two different amps at once. But if you don't need XLR out, I think you can safely save the money and just get the MMB2. At the end of the day, both are exquisite

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #4,642 of 4,960
Hi, an advice: a BF2/64 - Asgard 3 match, is it a bit unbalanced? I need to compose a dac/amp stack for my PC desktop. The initial idea was to purchase BF2/64 + Lyr+, but after reading in the Lyr thread about the countless problems encountered by the hybrid amplifier, out of fear I was downsizing the project by looking at the more reliable Asgard 3. My doubt is: given that the performance of the A3 will reduce the result compared to the Lyr, does it still make sense to buy a BF2/64 to match with A3, or at this point, to create a more proportionate combination, is it preferable also change DAC by choosing one of Modius or Multibit 2?
And if so which of the two? I would prefer multibit as a concept, but I think I understand that the natural pairing of the Asgard is with Modius (at least for size).

Thank you
Roberto

Dec 3, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #4,643 of 4,960
Hi, an advice: a BF2/64 - Asgard 3 match, is it a bit unbalanced? I need to compose a dac/amp stack for my PC desktop. The initial idea was to purchase BF2/64 + Lyr+, but after reading in the Lyr thread about the countless problems encountered by the hybrid amplifier, out of fear I was downsizing the project by looking at the more reliable Asgard 3. My doubt is: given that the performance of the A3 will reduce the result compared to the Lyr, does it still make sense to buy a BF2/64 to match with A3, or at this point, to create a more proportionate combination, is it preferable also change DAC by choosing one of Modius or Multibit 2?
And if so which of the two? I would prefer multibit as a concept, but I think I understand that the natural pairing of the Asgard is with Modius (at least for size).

Thank you
Roberto
I have used both the MM1 and MM2 with an Asgard 3 in the past and both paired well with the amp. I've never owned a BF2.

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #4,644 of 4,960

Thank you
Roberto
Hi, all I want to say is go with a BF2/64 or MM2. I bought a Modius E with the Delta Sigma chip for a mobile classroom where I didn't want to spend a lot of money, and I don't think it comes anywhere close to the BF2/64. It was a disappointment, and I wish I had purchased the MM2. But that's based on other people's comments about the Modi Multibit. I haven't heard it myself. From others' reviews and comments I understand MM2 has some of the same Schiit multibit DAC depth, good sound stage, excellent timbre, and overall tonality as the BF2/64. As for the BF2/64, I really like it and many regard it as an outstanding buy for the quality at this price. Overall tonality of the Modius is quite good, and I bought it partly because I had long cable lengths to work with, so the balanced outputs were handy. But I wouldn't recommend it. I've heard others who have really enjoyed it, so maybe it's an issue to some extent of partnering equipment. The difference I noticed most clearly is that when watching films using the BF2/64 you could clearly hear the kind of space the actors were speaking in, and this was not at all clear when using the Modius E. In any case, this is my humble advice.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #4,645 of 4,960

Thank you
Roberto

Depending on your headphones, the multibit DAC card and BF2 might not be significantly different. I wouldn't buy a DS DAC if you are willing to spend the money for the BF2.

There is no reliability issue with the Lyr. Tubes by nature can be finicky, but not nearly as bad as reading forums can portray them.

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #4,646 of 4,960
Depending on your headphones, the multibit DAC card and BF2 might not be significantly different. I wouldn't buy a DS DAC if you are willing to spend the money for the BF2.

There is no reliability issue with the Lyr. Tubes by nature can be finicky, but not nearly as bad as reading forums can portray them.
I have owned 2 Lyr 3s (bought, sold, bought, and sold) and currently own the Lyr+. No issues with any of my units, but may regret typing this now that I think about it. Would definitely recommend the Lyr+ with the Bifrost 2/64.

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #4,647 of 4,960
I wouldn't buy a DS DAC if you are willing to spend the money for the BF2.
:relaxed: It also depends on how a DS is implemented: in my main system I have a Bricasti M1 SE, and it is a DAC that ''sounds'' very good (and also costs a lot). Schiit certainly believes in multibit, and the most serious implementations are made with this technology. And it is evident if you look at their catalogue.
In the Lyr+ thread, we read about a real massacre, some had to send the amplifier back for repairs three times. Lots of misaligned keys that didn't work and got stuck, channels that burned out, problems with the ladder volume, specimens that reach very high temperatures and even different timing behaviors during functions. I cannot deny that all this has slowed down the desire to purchase the object, also because it is not at all clear whether the problems have been resolved or whether it is still a lottery.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-impressions-thread.964223/

I have owned 2 Lyr 3s (bought, sold, bought, and sold) and currently own the Lyr+. No issues with any of my units, but may regret typing this now that I think about it. Would definitely recommend the Lyr+ with the Bifrost 2/64.
That was my idea. In any case, I could always go back and evaluate the purchase of the Lyr+, but I would like to be a little more relaxed about its reliability, also because I live quite far from Schiit, and shipments are not fast.
Returning to my question, is a Bifrost 2/64 ''wasted'' when paired with the Asgard 3? Am I pairing two components who play in different leagues? Or, all things considered, is it a stack that makes sense? My fear is that of making ''one shoe and one slipper'' (it's a saying that, when translated, I don't know if it makes sense :relaxed:)

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #4,648 of 4,960
Returning to my question, is a Bifrost 2/64 ''wasted'' when paired with the Asgard 3? Am I pairing two components who play in different leagues?
Not really, but any reason you’re not considering Jotunheim2? Thats probably the more natural pairing with Bf2, although A3 is quite fine in its own right.

What headphones are you planning on using?

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #4,649 of 4,960
Non proprio, ma c'è qualche motivo per cui non stai considerando Jotunheim2? Questo è probabilmente l'abbinamento più naturale con Bf2, anche se A3 va abbastanza bene di per sé.

Che cuffie pensi di utilizzare?
Avevo dato un'occhiata anche alle Jotunheim2, ma da quello che ho capito, per sfruttarlo al meglio era preferibile usare l'uscita XLR bilanciata, perché da quella 6.3 si ottiene circa la metà della potenza, mentre attualmente ho solo 3 cuffie con uscita sbilanciata cavo (K701-DT880-600ohm/HD650).
Per questo ho pensato che l'amplificatore nato per essere utilizzato sbilanciato e a piena potenza fosse l'Asgard. Ho avuto una Audeze LCD-X in passato, è stata una storia finita male che mi ha fatto allontanare da qualsiasi cuffia planare. Tuttavia, in futuro potrei acquistare altre cuffie dinamiche di alta qualità.
PS Ascolto queste cuffie nella stanza in cui ho il mio sistema di altoparlanti principale con Bricasti M1/Bryston BHA-1. Lo Schiit sarebbe destinato all'ascolto mentre navigo sul PC, che è in un'altra stanza.

Single-Ended Headphone Output specs:

Asgard3
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 3.5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 2.5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 600mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 300mW RMS per channel

Jotunheim2
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2.4W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 330mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 165mW RMS per channel

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #4,650 of 4,960
:relaxed: It also depends on how a DS is implemented: in my main system I have a Bricasti M1 SE, and it is a DAC that ''sounds'' very good (and also costs a lot). Schiit certainly believes in multibit, and the most serious implementations are made with this technology. And it is evident if you look at their catalogue.

In the Lyr+ thread, we read about a real massacre, some had to send the amplifier back for repairs three times. Lots of misaligned keys that didn't work and got stuck, channels that burned out, problems with the ladder volume, specimens that reach very high temperatures and even different timing behaviors during functions. I cannot deny that all this has slowed down the desire to purchase the object, also because it is not at all clear whether the problems have been resolved or whether it is still a lottery.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-impressions-thread.964223/

That was my idea. In any case, I could always go back and evaluate the purchase of the Lyr+, but I would like to be a little more relaxed about its reliability, also because I live quite far from Schiit, and shipments are not fast.
Returning to my question, is a Bifrost 2/64 ''wasted'' when paired with the Asgard 3? Am I pairing two components who play in different leagues? Or, all things considered, is it a stack that makes sense? My fear is that of making ''one shoe and one slipper'' (it's a saying that, when translated, I don't know if it makes sense :relaxed:)

My point was about the Schiit DS options, not all DS DACs. The beauty of the Schiit DACs is the multibit and Mike Moffat's megacomboburrito filter. The Schiit DS products sound good, but the Multibit sound better.

As for the Lyr, you read proportionately high negative posts on these forums. That's not reality. HeadFi only represents a small sub set of audiophiles. And, as good as Schiit is, they aren't perfect. That's why they have such good warranty and customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back