Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jul 13, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #4,411 of 4,971
Email them orders@schiit.com, with your order number, describing your issue (AKM instead of ESS). Ask them if they could send out a Modius E to replace the AKM you received. Also see if they can provide a call tag to return the akm unit. Never hurts to ask politely.
Thanks for your suggestion. I pretty much decided to do what you suggested. So I did contact them through the website and got an acknowledgement. Now waiting for their response.

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #4,412 of 4,971
So I just got the 2/64 to act as a replacement for Mimby, and wow all I can say wow dat bass. Even on speakers, I used to run a slight EQ on the bass and a lot on the treble, and the B2/64 without EQ is both bassier and the details are more defined than Mimby with EQ. It's a substantial enough difference to notice through HD600s too. Now the debate is wether I get MM2 for the desk setup, I'm a believer.

A few more songs in, wow the dynamics are impressive. Even at low volume, the transient between a silent section and the drop so to speak really hits. Whereas on Mimby everything's duller, so it's flatter transitioning. I can definitely get why you'd need the right synergy, my system had that little bit of a veil and lack of slam that I was EQing through, but the B2/64 fixed that all on it's own.

We'll see how annoying the sampling change clicking gets though lol

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #4,413 of 4,971
So I just got the 2/64 to act as a replacement for Mimby, and wow all I can say wow dat bass. Even on speakers, I used to run a slight EQ on the bass and a lot on the treble, and the B2/64 without EQ is both bassier and the details are more defined than Mimby with EQ. It's a substantial enough difference to notice through HD600s too. Now the debate is wether I get MM2 for the desk setup, I'm a believer.

A few more songs in, wow the dynamics are impressive. Even at low volume, the transient between a silent section and the drop so to speak really hits. Whereas on Mimby everything's duller, so it's flatter transitioning. I can definitely get why you'd need the right synergy, my system had that little bit of a veil and lack of slam that I was EQing through, but the B2/64 fixed that all on it's own.

We'll see how annoying the sampling change clicking gets though lol
Congrats!! :)

So, the clicking ... I thought it would annoy me as well, but I've grown quite used to it. I'm sometimes thrown off-guard by the absence of clicking between songs when the sampling rate doesn't change.
My Bifrost 2/64 is in a desktop headphone setup and the click is definitely audible in near-field.
If you were in a more traditional 2-channel setup it may not be as noticeable.

Jul 14, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #4,414 of 4,971
Congrats!! :)

So, the clicking ... I thought it would annoy me as well, but I've grown quite used to it. I'm sometimes thrown off-guard by the absence of clicking between songs when the sampling rate doesn't change.
My Bifrost 2/64 is in a desktop headphone setup and the click is definitely audible in near-field.
If you were in a more traditional 2-channel setup it may not be as noticeable.

I use a Roon endpoint that locks the audio stream on BF2 inputs. I haven’t heard the clicking when playing and stopping music for a long time (I exclusively use 16/44.1 which sounds best on BF2 or 2/64 regardless of NOS mode or Burrito mode in my system)

Jul 14, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #4,415 of 4,971
I use a Roon endpoint that locks the audio stream on BF2 inputs. I haven’t heard the clicking when playing and stopping music for a long time (I exclusively use 16/44.1 which sounds best on BF2 or 2/64 regardless of NOS mode or Burrito mode in my system)
I'm Roon curious, but haven't taken the plunge just yet.

I tend to stream from my laptop (macOS) and was using amazon music for a while which resulted in no-clicks since the app cannot alter the hosts MIDI controller. So you get whatever it was set at which is silly ... Switched to Qobuz as my laptop app and everything went happily clickity-click-click from there whenever rates changed.
I played with NOS for about an hour and then kind of forgot about it ... I just stick with the Burrito.

I use a Wiim in a 2-channel setup that feeds a Gungnir and both amazon music and Qobuz get proplerly rate switched with the expected clicks there.
Roon exploration is likely in my future, and good to know that you can lock rates if so desired, but for now I'm good with the clicks!
:beerchug:

Jul 14, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #4,417 of 4,971
My Bifrost is listed in the classifieds now.
I'll have more time to listen to the Gustard today/tonight, but after 3 hours last night, to be honest I'm slightly disappointed, because I don't think it's doing anything better than the BF, with the exception of a bit more air in the soundstage and a slightly more 3d soundstage in general, but it's not slap you in the face obvious. I'm going to assume burn in will change things. Damn, Jason and Mike really nailed it with that new board, especially regarding detail retrieval and instrument separation, it might go down as a real giant killer. I hope the Gustard opens up and delivers as it's been touted. The big plus for me with the Gustard is the integrated streamer, which eliminates my Zen Stream and USB connection from the chain. The integration is worth a lot to me.
July, 14, 2023 - 1) how do you like & rate the Gustard R26? 2) Given months of listening to the Gustard, if you can rember, do you think it was worth the selling the Bifrost 2 for the Gustard? I am currently thinking of selling Bifrost 2 for Gustard A26.

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #4,418 of 4,971
Hi Everyone, I would appreciate some advice. Here's my story.

I have a Bifrost 2/64 that I really like. I'm an anthropologist teaching in Thailand, and I use the BF2/64 in my classroom and at home as well when I don't have a course or program running. I recently bought some cheaper and more mobile audio gear to take my classroom on the road, so to speak. And because conditions in the hotel or meeting room might not always be totally secure, I decided to get one of the cheaper Schiit DACS to take on the road, so I could leave the BF2/64 hooked up at home. That way I would have a full system that I would travel with and a full system for long-term programs. I decided on the Modius E for my "on-the-road" system.

Schiit had a Modius E B stock, in silver, for about $30 off, so I decided to buy it. When it got to the U.S. city where I am visiting family at the moment, I was eager to try it out. But I couldn't insert the USB-C into either the power or the data USB-C sockets. The reason was that they were sitting too low on the board, at least in comparison with the holes in the case. I wondered what to do, and decided I could maybe fix it myself by putting a small washer in the screw nearby or something. I didn't want to go through sending it back and waiting again.

However, when I opened it up, which was not that hard, I discovered that it might not be a Modius E after all. In fact there is nothing on the metal case that says Modius E, just Modius. So I'm attaching two photos here. The unit seems to be from 2021, and it seems to be an AKM chip. I'm not too happy about two things: 1) OK, it happens, but quality control should have caught that the USB-C sockets were unusable as is; and 2) If I order a Modius E, I actually want that unit, not the original Modius that in this case had been labelled Modius E on the sales site.

My inclination is to let Schiit know what happened, and ask for a Modius E. What are your thoughts and what would you do?

Thanks in advance!
Looks like that board was repaired and relisted as b-stock but got mislabeled as Modius E. You can see that some parts next to the AKM chip were hand soldered (C61 and C62 for example).

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #4,419 of 4,971
July, 14, 2023 - 1) how do you like & rate the Gustard R26? 2) Given months of listening to the Gustard, if you can rember, do you think it was worth the selling the Bifrost 2 for the Gustard? I am currently thinking of selling Bifrost 2 for Gustard A26.
The Bifrost 2/64 is a fantastic DAC, but the R26 is just better. Check out the R26 owners thread if you dare, it gets in the weeds after a while but we've covered a lot of ground over there. The only thing that's likely better on the Bifrost is the USB implementation, but not by miles. The LAN input on the R26 is fantastic, and the streamer is excellent, cerrtainly not a Hifi Rose or Aurilic but very good. The R26 is more resolving and presents more detail all around. I've always thought the 2/64 and the R26 sounded very similar, both very crisp and neutral for R2R DACS, but the Gustard is just a more evolved species.

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #4,420 of 4,971
I often find i lose sound on my windows 11 pc with bifrost2 over USB.

It happens when i turn the volume down all the way through windows (to the point the little x appears over the sound icon near the clock).
When i turn the volume back up from mute, theres a chance there will be no sound.
Usually to fix it i can just go into sound settings and select another output device and then back to unison.
Sometimes that doesnt work though, in which case unplugging and plugging the usb on the bifrost2 brings it back.

This has happened always. Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #4,421 of 4,971

It happens when i turn the volume down all the way through windows (to the point the little x appears over the sound icon near the clock).
When i turn the volume back up from mute, theres a chance there will be no sound.
Usually to fix it i can just go into sound settings and select another output device and then back to unison.
Sometimes that doesnt work though, in which case unplugging and plugging the usb on the bifrost2 brings it back.

It has more to do with how your machine manages the power of the USB ports. I have the same issue with no sound from any DACs with Unison after my PC wakes up from sleep. Disabling then enabling the device in control panel fix the issue.

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #4,422 of 4,971

Check the properties for your USB port in windows, and don't let it go to sleep.

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #4,423 of 4,971

When I use my PC directly with Unison USB, I actually have an iFi iUSB micro hub (that I used since Bifrost 1 MB) in between the PC and Bifrost 2. The iFi iUSB micro has a "permanent on" switch that prevents the USB port from sleeping. Also, paired with ASIO 4 All, I can lock-in the stream at all times hence there is absolutely no chance of clicking relays when pausing and playing back music as well as no chance of disconnecting the Bifrost through software power management means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back