Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jul 11, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #4,397 of 4,956
Windows for the WIN!? :D

** OK, I truly do hope the OP gets a resolution to the issue. BF2 is too good a DAC to just give-up on w/o a fight.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #4,398 of 4,956
I'm absolutely done with Schiit as a company after all the struggles I've had with USB DAC connectivity with MacOS. I'm done. I can't imagine ever recommending anyone buy a product from a company that won't fix BASIC connectivity.

Your gear list indicates Bifrost Multibit, no indication of OG or Bifrost 2(/64)

If OG, what version of USB module is installed (e.g. Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 5, Unison)?

If BF2 series, esp an early production unit, have you updated the firmware (download to microUSB card)?

Jul 12, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #4,399 of 4,956
have you updated the firmware (download to microUSB card)?
Hi, about the firmware - which I only installed yesterday - I 've read that NOS mode is identified when diode pulse slowly, but for me it seems very subtle. Can someone confirm that the pulsating is very very slow and almost indiscernible to see ?

Jul 12, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #4,400 of 4,956
Hi, about the firmware - which I only installed yesterday - I 've read that NOS mode is identified when diode pulse slowly, but for me it seems very subtle. Can someone confirm that the pulsating is very very slow and almost indiscernible to see ?
Not sure if its the same for everyone, but when mine is in NOS the light cycles on/off and back maybe in 4-5 second cycles. Haven't timed it. Definitely not unnoticeable though.

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #4,401 of 4,956
Not sure if its the same for everyone, but when mine is in NOS the light cycles on/off and back maybe in 4-5 second cycles. Haven't timed it. Definitely not unnoticeable though.
Ok I got it. On my B2 OG it's noticeable when switching between mode, the led clearly pulse. But once you're in NOS mode it's subtle. Anyway, the NOS mode is a bit too dry and less bass amphasys for me so return to mike's magic Super Mega Combo Burrito filter

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #4,402 of 4,956
Ok I got it. On my B2 OG it's noticeable when switching between mode, the led clearly pulse. But once you're in NOS mode it's subtle. Anyway, the NOS mode is a bit too dry and less bass amphasys for me so return to mike's magic Super Mega Combo Burrito filter
Personally, I could not tell a single difference between NOS and the filter. Perhaps my headphones are not resolving enough? Regardless, the Bifrost is an excellent DAC at its price point.

Jul 12, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #4,403 of 4,956
Hi Everyone, I would appreciate some advice. Here's my story.

I have a Bifrost 2/64 that I really like. I'm an anthropologist teaching in Thailand, and I use the BF2/64 in my classroom and at home as well when I don't have a course or program running. I recently bought some cheaper and more mobile audio gear to take my classroom on the road, so to speak. And because conditions in the hotel or meeting room might not always be totally secure, I decided to get one of the cheaper Schiit DACS to take on the road, so I could leave the BF2/64 hooked up at home. That way I would have a full system that I would travel with and a full system for long-term programs. I decided on the Modius E for my "on-the-road" system.

Schiit had a Modius E B stock, in silver, for about $30 off, so I decided to buy it. When it got to the U.S. city where I am visiting family at the moment, I was eager to try it out. But I couldn't insert the USB-C into either the power or the data USB-C sockets. The reason was that they were sitting too low on the board, at least in comparison with the holes in the case. I wondered what to do, and decided I could maybe fix it myself by putting a small washer in the screw nearby or something. I didn't want to go through sending it back and waiting again.

However, when I opened it up, which was not that hard, I discovered that it might not be a Modius E after all. In fact there is nothing on the metal case that says Modius E, just Modius. So I'm attaching two photos here. The unit seems to be from 2021, and it seems to be an AKM chip. I'm not too happy about two things: 1) OK, it happens, but quality control should have caught that the USB-C sockets were unusable as is; and 2) If I order a Modius E, I actually want that unit, not the original Modius that in this case had been labelled Modius E on the sales site.

My inclination is to let Schiit know what happened, and ask for a Modius E. What are your thoughts and what would you do?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG-0887 Photo of Modius Board-1.jpeg
    IMG-0887 Photo of Modius Board-1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-0885 Photo of Modius Board-2.jpeg
    IMG-0885 Photo of Modius Board-2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #4,404 of 4,956
Hey guys,

Could not find a conclusive answer to this question - does using upsampling in ROON before sending it to BF2 or Yggi bypass Schiits MCB filter?filter.PNG
No. BF2 is 8x oversampling, so you can't really bypass MCB by upsampling. To bypass MCB you'll need to flash latest BF2 firmware and put it in NOS (Non-Over-Sampling) mode. The old OG BF and Modi Multibit only had 4x upsampling, so a 192 input would bypass its filter.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #4,405 of 4,956

I have a Bifrost 2/64 that I really like. I'm an anthropologist teaching in Thailand, and I use the BF2/64 in my classroom and at home as well when I don't have a course or program running. I recently bought some cheaper and more mobile audio gear to take my classroom on the road, so to speak. And because conditions in the hotel or meeting room might not always be totally secure, I decided to get one of the cheaper Schiit DACS to take on the road, so I could leave the BF2/64 hooked up at home. That way I would have a full system that I would travel with and a full system for long-term programs. I decided on the Modius E for my "on-the-road" system.

Schiit had a Modius E B stock, in silver, for about $30 off, so I decided to buy it. When it got to the U.S. city where I am visiting family at the moment, I was eager to try it out. But I couldn't insert the USB-C into either the power or the data USB-C sockets. The reason was that they were sitting too low on the board, at least in comparison with the holes in the case. I wondered what to do, and decided I could maybe fix it myself by putting a small washer in the screw nearby or something. I didn't want to go through sending it back and waiting again.

However, when I opened it up, which was not that hard, I discovered that it might not be a Modius E after all. In fact there is nothing on the metal case that says Modius E, just Modius. So I'm attaching two photos here. The unit seems to be from 2021, and it seems to be an AKM chip. I'm not too happy about two things: 1) OK, it happens, but quality control should have caught that the USB-C sockets were unusable as is; and 2) If I order a Modius E, I actually want that unit, not the original Modius that in this case had been labelled Modius E on the sales site.

My inclination is to let Schiit know what happened, and ask for a Modius E. What are your thoughts and what would you do?

Thanks in advance!
I've also just discovered on closer inspection that the sockets are not actually USB-C, they are micro-USB. An additional reason I couldn't insert the USB-C. So this is definitely an original Modius, and it seems to simply have been an oversight or mistake of the person stocking this unit. I think I will request a return and to receive an actual Modius E.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #4,406 of 4,956
Been my experience as well. In fact, dealing with Shiit has been very easy. I even had a stack like yours. I've had a tendency to buy something, have second thoughts, send it back, and then order it again. This happened several times with my Bifrost 2/64, Lokius, and Jotunheim. I'm happy and keeping the units now, but none of the equipment ever had a problem. My current stack is rock solid with my MacBook Pro M1.
IMG_2341.jpeg
Where did you get those « spacers » between the units ? What name would find them on Google ? Thanks.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #4,407 of 4,956

NOS mode gives the best synergy with wet sounding Single Ended Triode amps. If you ever hear that chain, you’d be very impressed on how amazing NOS sounds on it. Burrito is too much of a good thing to those amps to my preferences and have that overbloom tube sound emphasis. NOS cleans that up and gives you speed and clarity that you thought not possible with tubes. Other than that, I prefer the Megaburrito on most amps especially SS amps

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #4,409 of 4,956
NOS mode gives the best synergy with wet sounding Single Ended Triode amps. If you ever hear that chain, you’d be very impressed on how amazing NOS sounds on it. Burrito is too much of a good thing to those amps to my preferences and have that overbloom tube sound emphasis. NOS cleans that up and gives you speed and clarity that you thought not possible with tubes. Other than that, I prefer the Megaburrito on most amps especially SS amps
Dispite the fact I don't have my valhalla 2 anymore for testing SE tube vs balanced SS (my Rag2), I'm pretty sure you're absolutly right. NOS mode is not bad but with the Rag2 that is plenty of powerfull and pure SS, NOS is too harsh, burrito is more rounded. And for what I can remember for my previous headphone stack (Valhalla2 and B1 OG) sometimes I felt that the combo was a bit treacly.

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #4,410 of 4,956

Thanks in advance!
Email them orders@schiit.com, with your order number, describing your issue (AKM instead of ESS). Ask them if they could send out a Modius E to replace the AKM you received. Also see if they can provide a call tag to return the akm unit. Never hurts to ask politely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back