Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jul 4, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #4,367 of 4,957
Holy...Schiit?! The Bifrost 2/64 is good. Too good. If it gets better than this, I don't want to know.

It spreads out everything over a 3d holographic stage, punches hard, and trailing ends of tones are beautiful. The effect is precise localization of lines and yet a magical cohesive entire picture. Now I'm really down the rabbit hole.

Jul 4, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #4,368 of 4,957
my brand new schiit bifrost 2/64 is having issues with left channel. i have tried different dacs - shanling H7 with same headphone and its working fine. within a week i faced this issue. This issue is occurring after 45 - 60 mins switch on/ play back on.

powered off and powered on the dac after 5 mins - it again works and after 1 hour again same issue.

did anyone faced this issue with any of the schiit dacs ?

luckily my feliks audio tube amp had 3 inputs, i was able to come to a conclusion by connecting 2 dacs at a time to diff inputs and switching the source on amp. amp is working perfectly fine. also tried switching bifrost to 1 & 2 inputs of amp and still the same issue.

tried different usb cables as well - ugreen and fiio.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #4,369 of 4,957
Holy...Schiit?! The Bifrost 2/64 is good. Too good. If it gets better than this, I don't want to know.

It spreads out everything over a 3d holographic stage, punches hard, and trailing ends of tones are beautiful. The effect is precise localization of lines and yet a magical cohesive entire picture. Now I'm really down the rabbit hole.
After many months of listening to the Bifrost 2/64 in my system (IOTAVX SA3 and Triangle Borea BR08 speakers primarily, but also a midgrade set of Sennheiser headphones), I also think it's really great. Great depth, lots of detail and instrument separation, very alive sound without any harshness.

Jul 4, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #4,370 of 4,957
my brand new schiit bifrost 2/64 is having issues with left channel. i have tried different dacs - shanling H7 with same headphone and its working fine. within a week i faced this issue. This issue is occurring after 45 - 60 mins switch on/ play back on.

powered off and powered on the dac after 5 mins - it again works and after 1 hour again same issue.

luckily my feliks audio tube amp had 3 inputs, i was able to come to a conclusion by connecting 2 dacs at a time to diff inputs and switching the source on amp. amp is working perfectly fine. also tried switching bifrost to 1 & 2 inputs of amp and still the same issue.

Never had this issue. You should contact Schiit directly.

Jul 4, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #4,371 of 4,957

Try swapping the interconnect connections only at the DAC outputs and see if the dropout changes from left to right channels. Sometimes interconnects can become intermittent.

If not elsewhere in your audio chain, the problem may be in BF2/64’s analog card. Instead of sending the entire DAC back, Schiit may be able to send out a replacement analog card that you can just swap out.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #4,372 of 4,957
Try swapping the interconnect connections only at the DAC outputs and see if the dropout changes from left to right channels. Sometimes interconnects can become intermittent.

If not elsewhere in your audio chain, the problem may be in BF2/64’s analog card. Instead of sending the entire DAC back, Schiit may be able to send out a replacement analog card that you can just swap out.
thank you for the response. I tried replacing the rca cables as well still the same issue.

Once this issue occurs, if I switch off the dac and switch on after 5 mins - everything will be normal. Also when i try to the usb cable the noise will increase more. The noise will start slowly and will increase to the volume level and music will stop on that left channel.

I have also tried replacing tubes on my tube amp if any tube issues but still only the left channel will have issues.

Jul 4, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #4,373 of 4,957

one benefit of modular design is that you just need to swap out the RCA analog card.
Just raise a ticket and Schiit will help you out.

Jul 6, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #4,374 of 4,957
Bifrost 2 (both OG and 2/64) is an R2R DAC...

It's R2R on a single chip which was designed for medical devices. Most R2R DACs use a custom series of transistors. Which isn't a good or bad thing, it just makes it sound different.

Jul 7, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #4,375 of 4,957
It's R2R on a single chip which was designed for medical devices. Most R2R DACs use a custom series of transistors. Which isn't a good or bad thing, it just makes it sound different.
A dac, especially the Bifrost, is a medical device because it cures people from being bored. Because of having understood that, Schiit produce the best dacs.

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #4,376 of 4,957
Maybe it's just Schiit synergy with the Jot 2 (as my main head amp), but the BF2/64 can stand with the Ares 2 in terms of sound quality. Particularly from USB sources, this DAC is impressive.

I'm considering selling my BF2 and getting an Ares 2. Would it make more sense to just get the 2/64 card for my BF2 or spring for the Ares 2?

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #4,378 of 4,957
I'm considering selling my BF2 and getting an Ares 2. Would it make more sense to just get the 2/64 card for my BF2 or spring for the Ares 2?
FWIW, I compared the BF2/64 to the Ares 2 (not the newer 12) and much preferred the former with the the Lyr+. Found the BF2/64 more coherent, while the Ares 2 overemphasized the leading edge transients. This latter issue wasn't present in my main (speaker) system for whatever reason and there I found them more equally likable. I didn't, however, listen to them in my main system long enough to fully plumb the differences between them there. As best I can remember, I ended up still slightly preferring the BF2/64.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #4,379 of 4,957
If you are going to use XLR output and have access to I2S input the I would go for the latest Ares 12th-1

FWIW, I compared the BF2/64 to the Ares 2 (not the newer 12) and much preferred the former with the the Lyr+. Found the BF2/64 more coherent, while the Ares 2 overemphasized the leading edge transients. This latter issue wasn't present in my main (speaker) system for whatever reason and there I found them more equally likable. I didn't, however, listen to them in my main system long enough to fully plumb the differences between them there. As best I can remember, I ended up still slightly preferring the BF2/64.

I currently use my BF2 with a Singzer SA-1 and Feliks Audio Echo Mk2 as my headphone amps. No I wouldn't be using I2S. Just USB from my MacBook Pro and Coax digital from my Marantz CD6006 CD player into the BF2.

Jul 9, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #4,380 of 4,957
can some confirm which UK 3 PIN PLUG HAS shipped with SCHIIT BIFROST 2/64 from the attached screenshot

IS IT BIODA OR THE OTHER?

if possible please send screenshot of your 3 pin UK PLUG FRONT AND BACK

Attachments

• IMG_2467.jpeg
    IMG_2467.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back