Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Mar 12, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #4,171 of 4,957
Greetings:

Interested in the additon of the Bifrost 2/64 into my set up.

I presently own a Cambridge CXA60 powering Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers with the Schiit Eitr in between - simple little system. The CXA60 has a warmer presentation along with tone controls and what projects from the speakers is a full and warm sound signature, in my point of view. I'm now looking to upgrade my integrated amp to the CXA61 - can't pass up the price reduction. I understand the CXA61 has been engineered with a neutral sound contrasted with its predecessor.

Someone knowing by experience the Bifrost 2/64 and my desire for a non-bright clinical sound, would this be a good match for my speakers and my new (yet to be purchased) neutral sounding CXA61? Even if you extrapolate, it would be helpful.

I want to be sure as is possible as the round trip shipping coupled with the restocking fee would set me back around $150.00.

Thank you.
Sure,
It really depends on what you’re looking for. I don’t think the 2/64 is bright, I just don’t think it has the same organic sound as the BF2, particularly in the mid range.
Neither is better IMHO,
However, if you’re going to swap out two major components of the bat, you’re kind of putting yourself behind the eight ball IMHO.
If your headset on swapping out the Cambridge , why not do that first?
Then see how every thing sounds.
Then you’ll get a better handle on your system, and whether you really want to go with the new BF 2/64.
frankly, I think if you really like the warm and full sound, I’d stick with what you have, good deal or not.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #4,172 of 4,957
Looks like Bifrost 2 (and Modi Multibit for that matter) is experiencing delays. I was just about to pull the trigger on it when I saw the delay increase. I’m trying to minimize the damage of buying the Bifrost by meeting a credit card signup bonus, but the 10-12 weeks windows is borderline with the shorter signup bonus periods of 3 months. Maybe I’ll get an Amex Gold later this year and buy one right away. Should ship in 6 months…I hope.

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #4,173 of 4,957
Interesting. Stock of each the MM2 and BF 2/64 was fine a few days ago. Surprised to see the long backorder.

Mar 13, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #4,175 of 4,957
Interesting. Stock of each the MM2 and BF 2/64 was fine a few days ago. Surprised to see the long backorder.
I just looked again and it's back down to 3-5 weeks. Argh, my credit card is still on the way!

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #4,176 of 4,957
Hey guys,

Could not find a conclusive answer to this question - does using upsampling in ROON before sending it to BF2 or Yggi bypass Schiits MCB filter?
filter.PNG

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #4,177 of 4,957
Sure,
It really depends on what you’re looking for. I don’t think the 2/64 is bright, I just don’t think it has the same organic sound as the BF2, particularly in the mid range.
Neither is better IMHO,
However, if you’re going to swap out two major components of the bat, you’re kind of putting yourself behind the eight ball IMHO.
If your headset on swapping out the Cambridge , why not do that first?
Then see how every thing sounds.
Then you’ll get a better handle on your system, and whether you really want to go with the new BF 2/64.
frankly, I think if you really like the warm and full sound, I’d stick with what you have, good deal or not.
Thanks mojo for your sage advise - logical. I do however have an issue with my present amp that the authorized dealership could not fix let alone find and that is also why I'm looking at a a replacement amp - just in case.

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #4,178 of 4,957
@2bxfile have you considered this - why not keep the CAX60 amp you have now, and buy the BF 2/64? Might be a nice combo too. I see your 60 has the internal Wolfson WM8740 dac now. There is a good chance the newer BF 2/64 might give you a little more of the neutral sound you are looking for, try that first, eh? Thoughts?
I would like to keep this amp decooney, but as I mentioned to mojo, it has a problem that cannot be diagnosed - the problem cannot be replicated on the bench. I think I'll buy the new amp, place it in my setup and see where I go from there. Thanks.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #4,179 of 4,957
Yeah, both of my prior amps with EL34s and KT88s sounded good with my custom designed and built AMT speakers too. I did not try PSVANE opt tubes on those, yet the signature of these opt tubes is similar to my prior shuguang tubes. My only exposure to PSVANE version of these particular output tubes was helping a few friends, we tried PSVANE KT88s in an upgraded integrated amp, and he can listen to most all types of recorded content without too much concern.

For my amt speakers, I wanted to try a little more power, and with my own mono tube amps, went up to Tung Sol KT120s and KT150s. Not necessarily better, just different. I went back to KT120s which can sound closer to EL34s (with more bottom end) once burned in and playing with manual tube bias. I don't recommend these tubes unless they are used with amplifier(s), circuits, transformers, plate voltage, circuits designed to run these tube in the optimal operation. So, my reference to yours is leaning more only to the pavane input tubes. I also run an upgraded Forte' Audio amplifier (SS) in Class A 50 watts, and use my 6SN7 tube preamp with PSVANE tubes in it, which works nicely in front of this amp too. Yes, the pavane tubes do kinda even things out here too in order to make more recordings listenable. Sounds like you are having fun with the PL amps! Happy Listening! :ear:
Thanks.
I think with the newer PL amps that are KT120 compatable, you still need to manually adjust the bias board
Looks like Bifrost 2 (and Modi Multibit for that matter) is experiencing delays. I was just about to pull the trigger on it when I saw the delay increase. I’m trying to minimize the damage of buying the Bifrost by meeting a credit card signup bonus, but the 10-12 weeks windows is borderline with the shorter signup bonus periods of 3 months. Maybe I’ll get an Amex Gold later this year and buy one right away. Should ship in 6 months…I hope.
3-5weeks on BF
Silver
I just looked again and it's back down to 3-5 weeks. Argh, my credit card is still on the way!
BF2 3-5 weeks
MMB2 black BO
Silver in stock/low stock
Apparently Schiit evened out the bass response on the MMB2 vs MMB1.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #4,181 of 4,957
Thanks.
I think with the newer PL amps that are KT120 compatable, you still need to manually adjust the bias board

3-5weeks on BF
Silver

BF2 3-5 weeks
MMB2 black BO
Silver in stock/low stock
Apparently Schiit evened out the bass response on the MMB2 vs MMB1.
My credit card arrived in the mail yesterday. I made the purchase. Hopefully the delay doesn't become worse again. I asked Schiit if the delay was subject to change, and they just told me they're experiencing delays (no direct yes/no response). I guess they don't know how long it'll actually take for the parts to come in.

Mar 15, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #4,182 of 4,957
While you may receive it on the earlier side of the estimate, there is one thing that's almost certain -- YOU'LL LOVE IT!!

Mar 15, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #4,183 of 4,957
Managed to pick up a black MMB2-should show up tomorrow.
In my 1.5 system I use a BF@OG and a Modi 3+(AKM).
This may replace the Modi3+, hard to say.
Modi 3+ is a great dac-no complaints.
But the MB-when done right have soul the DS dac's don't seem to have.
Hoping the MMB2 will add some of this to the other half of my 1.5 system.
I like the fact they evened out the frequency emphasis.
As we all know you can now get full range bass out of out board dac's.
If it's the same forward soundstage as the old MMB-that's fine.
The imbalance of the MMB-ALONG WITH the more forward soundstage was a bad combo IMHO.
Agreed your going to love the BF2-great DAC!!:)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #4,184 of 4,957
Anyone using a USB cable longer than 2 meters from thier source to the Bifrost 2? The manual states 2M or less. A few months ago I setup a 2 channel system, and I have my Schiit gear in the same rack. I use a DAP as my source to the Bifrost 2, but it's a pain getting up to forward/change my tunes. I'm about 8 feet from the rack though, so wondering what would happen if I used a longer cable than the 1M one I currently have?

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #4,185 of 4,957
I've successfully run a 12' USB cable. Not some off the shelf -- it was a high-quality cable made by @Paladin79 here at HF. I think a quality cable from the likes of Blue Jeans Cables would do well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back