Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jan 26, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #4,096 of 4,957
Has any information been shared about latency on the the 2/64?

My dac works double duty as home theater/gaming in a 2.0 setup as well as music in the living room and latency is why I'm not considering the Ares.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #4,097 of 4,957

My dac works double duty as home theater/gaming in a 2.0 setup as well as music in the living room and latency is why I'm not considering the Ares.
I've had the BF2 for about a year now, which I upgraded with the 2/64 card upon release. In neither version have I noticed any latency. Watching videos from any source, I don't notice any mismatch between audio and video - stays in sync without any issues.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #4,099 of 4,957

Mine gets used for playing Path of Exile. I'm really sensitive to audio delay and I don't sense any.

Jan 26, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #4,101 of 4,957
Jan 26, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #4,102 of 4,957

In my case I output from an HTPC to BF 2/64 via USB (to amp and speakers) and experience zero latency issues. Never have with any Schiit DAC.

Jan 27, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #4,103 of 4,957
FWIW: I have both a BF 2/64 & an Ares 12th in my 2 channel music only setup and haven’t noticed any latency with either DAC … using as a source either a Topping M50 or an SMSL SD-9.

To be honest going back and forth between DACs since November, I’ve fully decided that the Ares 12th is just better in my setup. No meaningful descriptions as to why … I just feel I’m enjoying the music more with the Ares. No more DAC hunting for me

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #4,104 of 4,957
Thanks for the impressions! I just ordered a BF 2/64. Would you say that there's any reason to own both cards? Are the presentations "different" or is it just one of those cases where you feel the 2/64 card is straight up better? Just curious, what headphones did you use to test with and what amp were you using during your listening session? (trying to understand the chain a bit better).

I am using a Lyr + so it'll be BF 2/64 + Lyr+ which I expect to hopefully be a pretty sweet combo. I also have a few tubes to help me further tweak the sound if needed.
My setup is Bifrost --> Lake People RS-08 --> Hifiman Arya v2

I don't feel any reason to own the OG 2 board at this point. The OG is slightly warmer, but in more of a muddy/hazy way to my ears, and even then the difference is slight. I am planning to keep the 2/64 and upgrade the Arya's stock cable to get a bit more weight & fullness.

FWIW I used to own the Lyr 3 with the Aryas and found it too warm and hazy, so perhaps I just prefer a more analytical sound. Although I suspect it had to do with the Lyr not having enough power to properly push large planars.

Jan 27, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #4,105 of 4,957
FWIW: I have both a BF 2/64 & an Ares 12th in my 2 channel music only setup and haven’t noticed any latency with either DAC … using as a source either a Topping M50 or an SMSL SD-9.

To be honest going back and forth between DACs since November, I’ve fully decided that the Ares 12th is just better in my setup. No meaningful descriptions as to why … I just feel I’m enjoying the music more with the Ares. No more DAC hunting for me
Congrats on finding your preferred DAC :)
Guessing the Ares 12th also because of the I2S interface?

Also thinking it might mean a shiny new-ish BF 2/64 could be making an appearance in the classifieds?
:beerchug:

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #4,108 of 4,957
Just got my BF 2/64 a few days ago. Been leaving it turned on nonstop so it can warm up & burn in.. so far I’m quite surprised that it doesn’t sound better. My expectations were quite high and after comparing it vs the EF400 and my old Topping DX7 dac, I’m struggling to see why ppl like this dac. Using a Schiit Lyr+ in SS and tube mode (with several diff tubes) and doing A B C comparisons… the BF 2/64 to my ears sounds slightly veiled overall but also has a weird slightly harsher presentation in the treble when comparing to my delta sigma and other R2R dac. Makes no sense because the reviews I’ve read stated the opposite of what I’m experiencing. Tried running via optical & usb. Not sure if there’s anything else I’m missing. I do prefer the filter over running in NOS mode (filter just sounds better). I’ve read the BF2 needs to be burned in a bit when you get it… I’ve had it on for 3 days straight. Is that enough or does it take longer for the “good sound” to finally emerge?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #4,109 of 4,957
Just got my BF 2/64 a few days ago. Been leaving it turned on nonstop so it can warm up & burn in.. so far I’m quite surprised that it doesn’t sound better. My expectations were quite high and after comparing it vs the EF400 and my old Topping DX7 dac, I’m struggling to see why ppl like this dac. Using a Schiit Lyr+ in SS and tube mode (with several diff tubes) and doing A B C comparisons… the BF 2/64 to my ears sounds slightly veiled overall but also has a weird slightly harsher presentation in the treble when comparing to my delta sigma and other R2R dac. Makes no sense because the reviews I’ve read stated the opposite of what I’m experiencing. Tried running via optical & usb. Not sure if there’s anything else I’m missing. I do prefer the filter over running in NOS mode (filter just sounds better). I’ve read the BF2 needs to be burned in a bit when you get it… I’ve had it on for 3 days straight. Is that enough or does it take longer for the “good sound” to finally emerge?
Weird. Veiled is one thing I would never call the 2/64. Almost wonder if something is going on w the Lyr+ based on some of the issues that have been reported here.

Anecdotally, it does seem like the 2/64 likes a good amount of burn-in. I might run music thru it constantly for about 100 hrs before deciding if I liked it.

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #4,110 of 4,957
Weird. Veiled is one thing I would never call the 2/64. Almost wonder if something is going on w the Lyr+ based on some of the issues that have been reported here.

Anecdotally, it does seem like the 2/64 likes a good amount of burn-in. I might run music thru it constantly for about 100 hrs before deciding if I liked it.
Does it require music to be running through or is leaving it powered on enough? Fwiw, my Lyr functions flawlessly and sounds fantastic (even with the BF). I’m not saying so much that the BF sounds veiled as I’m im saying it does “in comparison” to my other 2 dacs. I’m certain the Lyr isn’t the issue here but maybe more burn in is in order. I have noticed it’s gotten smoother since the first time I powered it on but I’m still just not able to justify keeping it unless it starts to sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back