Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jan 6, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #4,067 of 4,957
I don’t remember. But to assume Schiit is being disingenuous by somehow promoting burn that takes months but only 15 day return window is not factual.

If you don’t like something after 2 weeks, the chance of liking it in two months is pretty low. That’s been my experience. My initial BF2 impression was a solid meh. The 2/64 upgrade made it better. My first impression of Yggdrasil OG was shockingly good. This was after keeping both DACs turned on, playing music for about 2 days prior to critical listening.

YMMV
If you raise a request to return within 15 days window, you get additional few days or week to post it bringing you closer to 1 month and I don’t know Schiit or anyone has asked for 1 month burn in. At max 2-3 days.

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #4,068 of 4,957
I don’t remember. But to assume Schiit is being disingenuous by somehow promoting burn that takes months but only 15 day return window is not factual.

If you don’t like something after 2 weeks, the chance of liking it in two months is pretty low. That’s been my experience. My initial BF2 impression was a solid meh. The 2/64 upgrade made it better. My first impression of Yggdrasil OG was shockingly good. This was after keeping both DACs turned on, playing music for about 2 days prior to critical listening.

YMMV
I don't disagree. Just thought it was pertinent since Mike is the DAC guy. FWIW I think the 2/64 will sound good within a day, and probably get progressively better thereafter.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/schiit-audio-yggdrasil-dac/ :

"Although Moffatt warned me that the Yggy wouldn’t sound good right out of the box, I gave it a quick listen anyway after an hour of warm-up. He was right; the Yggy was hard, bright, forward, and flat. I checked in with it a couple of times over the next week and heard it improving somewhat, but it was still disappointing. I decided to let it sit in my rack, powered up, for a full month before revisiting it.

"When I returned to the Yggy I discovered a DAC that wasn’t superb. It wasn’t even good. And it certainly wasn’t “good for the money.” What I discovered, to my amazement, was a DAC that was stunningly great, period."

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #4,069 of 4,957
If you raise a request to return within 15 days window, you get additional few days or week to post it bringing you closer to 1 month and I don’t know Schiit or anyone has asked for 1 month burn in. At max 2-3 days.
You should direct this at @Author.

I was responding to his perceived injustices that Schiit’s return window is too short to evaluate their DACs.

Jan 6, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #4,070 of 4,957
Reposting this interesting statement by the AS thread that member @theeclone surfaced:

..."I decided to let it sit in my rack, powered up, for a full month before revisiting it.

When I returned to the Yggy I discovered a DAC that wasn’t superb. It wasn’t even good. And it certainly wasn’t “good for the money.” What I discovered, to my amazement, was a DAC that was stunningly great, period."

If I had listened to Jason Stoddard's beliefs about "no burn-in" or cables, I would have returned my Bifrost 2/64 after the first week. NOS mode was good after 72hrs, MCB filter mode sucked at first. Bleh. At first MCB was grainy and bloated in my home audio speaker listener system. The longer I left the BF 2/64 powered on and running for the first full two weeks, it did get better, slightly smoother. Was not expecting any change after this first 2 weeks. Kept the dac, and with a hunch and following recommendations by others here on head-fi, after the full 30 days even MCB filter mode smoothed out a bit more. While I still prefer NOS mode in my all tube system, I did not expect to like MCB filter mode at all, ever. Something did change for the better after 30 days for whatever reason - I don't know. Just sounded better. I suspect there are some people with limited speakers and limited hearing who just cannot hear a difference at all. Okay, is what it is, and perhaps they get the benefit to save time and $.

Two other colleagues of mine bought the BF 2/64 comparing to other days and noticed similar changes occurring over days 1-30. No change for mine after 30 days.

>> I tend to follow the actual designers with ears behind the scenes who actually design this gear and listen carefully.<<. Trust your ears.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #4,071 of 4,957
I don't disagree. Just thought it was pertinent since Mike is the DAC guy. FWIW I think the 2/64 will sound good within a day, and probably get progressively better thereafter.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/schiit-audio-yggdrasil-dac/ :

"Although Moffatt warned me that the Yggy wouldn’t sound good right out of the box, I gave it a quick listen anyway after an hour of warm-up. He was right; the Yggy was hard, bright, forward, and flat. I checked in with it a couple of times over the next week and heard it improving somewhat, but it was still disappointing. I decided to let it sit in my rack, powered up, for a full month before revisiting it.

"When I returned to the Yggy I discovered a DAC that wasn’t superb. It wasn’t even good. And it certainly wasn’t “good for the money.” What I discovered, to my amazement, was a DAC that was stunningly great, period."

Reposting this interesting statement by the AS thread that member @theeclone surfaced:

If I had listened to Jason Stoddard's beliefs about "no burn-in" or cables, I would have returned my Bifrost 2/64 after the first week. NOS mode was good after 72hrs, MCB filter mode sucked at first. Bleh. At first MCB was grainy and bloated in my home audio speaker listener system. The longer I left the BF 2/64 powered on and running for the first full two weeks, it did get better, slightly smoother. Was not expecting any change after this first 2 weeks. Kept the dac, and with a hunch and following recommendations by others here on head-fi, after the full 30 days even MCB filter mode smoothed out a bit more. While I still prefer NOS mode in my all tube system, I did not expect to like MCB filter mode at all, ever. Something did change for the better after 30 days for whatever reason - I don't know. Just sounded better. I suspect there are some people with limited speakers and limited hearing who just cannot hear a difference at all. Okay, is what it is, and perhaps they get the benefit to save time and $.

Two other colleagues of mine bought the BF 2/64 comparing to other days and noticed similar changes occurring over days 1-30. No change for mine after 30 days.

>> I tend to follow the actual designers with ears behind the scenes who actually design this gear and listen carefully.<<. Trust your ears.
This excellent video from Darko & Jana is primarily about the Tyr, but provides insight into Schiit’s production processes:

At about 17:30, Jason says that “All products are burned in for 1-4 days…” primarily to catch any defects before boxing them up and shipping them to us Schiitheads.

That said, my own experience with my BF2 was quite similar to The Absolute Sound review of the Yggy, I recall it was a bit grainy on first listen, but became much smoother after a couple of days. So I don’t really know what to make of this other than perhaps brain burn-in rather than anything actually changing in my BF2.

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #4,072 of 4,957
I believe you may be referring to my recent post when you call a characterization about Schiit’s stance on burn in to be not factual. I never commented about that at all. Please reread. My reference to lengthy burn in was in response to a forum member who mentioned this as a possibility.

What I actually stated was that if burn in indeed takes weeks to hear the ‘settled in’ sound of the equipment, a 15 day return window is useless.

Two things can be true at once. I can love Schiit as a company and I can love their products. And I can also think that 15 days is not long enough for some customers to make a correct decision on whether or not they made a good purchase... given the length of time needed for the equipment to settle in. In addition to this thread, there are lots of posts specifically characterizing the new BF needing lengthy burn in on SBAF.

I also never said anything about cables.

Feel free to disagree with my post, but please at least characterize it correctly.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #4,074 of 4,957
I have a MB card in my Lyr3. I'd love to know peoples thoughts who have both the MB Lyr3 and Bifrost 2 - if there is a big difference?
I have the Jot 2 with MB card. I thought my Modius Akm sounded as good. BF2/64 is a pretty good jump over either. IMO

Jan 7, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #4,075 of 4,957
In last month's Passion for Sound reviewer video, he covered the new Bifrost 2/64. Includes personal comparisons to former Bifrost and Yggy OG. He too commented about "burn-in" and noticing changes over time. Some comparison about NOS mode and the MCB filter modes. Similar observations to some members here.

Jan 7, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #4,076 of 4,957
Goodness. Please read post 4072.
All of which completely undermines the confidence a 15 day return window is intended to inspire in the customer. That kind of Schiity bullSchiit really annoys me. They have to say there’s no burn in, otherwise they’re admitting that the return window is… bullSchiit. Sigh.
Okay.

This statement reads a bit of “sour grapes”. Also, I just pointed out that Jason doesn’t believe that it takes weeks to months for his products to perform optimally. Apparently the actual return window is longer based on other comments.

Burn in is controversial. if one believes that burn in takes over 14 days to happen, that’s totally cool. If one agrees with SBAF, cool. I don’t see how a forum or person’s opinion undermines Schiit’s 15 day return policy.

I highlighted the portion I found interesting. I’m not trying to attack you, but I also don’t think I misrepresented you either.

Jan 7, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #4,077 of 4,957
My initial post was acerbic, and the punning exaggerated that tone. It was indeed meant to make a point, but the punning took it too far. I have the new BF and Lyr coming any time now. I’m invested. And a supporter of the company.

I never attributed any words to Jason or Schiit directly. But I do know I would have an incentive to minimize the perception that burn in is real if the products I sold could benefit with burn in that takes days, weeks, even months as some would claim — when that length of time exceeded the return window I offered.

And I know it’s not that simple. There are all kinds of variables, not the least of which is a person’s ears. But I do have a right to my opinion - even as you do, saying my words were an injustice. Which I do take exception to.

Jason has built a tremendous brand, and I count myself as a fan.

Take care Daniel.

Jan 7, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #4,078 of 4,957
And I know it’s not that simple. There are all kinds of variables, not the least of which is a person’s ears. But I do have a right to my opinion - even as you do, saying my words were an injustice. Which I do take exception to.
Your opinions and words are not an injustice. I can’t see how I offended you. It certainly was not the intention.

The injustice in question is that Schiit has a return window that is shorter than what it takes for the equipment to sound optimal. In actuality, one can have more than the 15 days to evaluate the equipment. Hence the perceived part of the perceived injustice.

I was.just redirecting a post that quoted me when it should’ve been directed to you. :beerchug:

Jan 8, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #4,079 of 4,957
Could someone please refresh my memory? Which is NOS mode and which is OS mode? Right now the input lights are pulsing on my BF2. Which mode is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back