Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Dec 25, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #4,036 of 4,957
Agree that PrimaLuna is a fantastic brand. My Dialogue Premium HP is quite simply one of the best, most reliable bits of stereo gear. Sounds fantastic too. Same with Vincent gear. Designed in Germany, made in China. Unfortunately there aren’t many countries that can reliably manufacture labor intensive products for reasonable amounts of money. In the case of PL, they use point to point wiring. That is just plain labor intensive.

Jason keeps the Schiit prices competitive because he designs them to require the least amount of manual labor to assemble. Hence all the surface mount components and PCBs.

I agree that it isn’t the country of manufacture that is important, it’s how the parent company handles the ownership experience and after sales/warranty issues.
Agreed.
I enjoyed reading Schiit Hapoens
And agree, as Stoddard implies in his book, everyone’s free to choose their own business model, so to speak.
The end product, and support to the consumer is in the end the real deciding factor.
Where the tire meets the road, so to speak.
I think most here understand the value of domestic manufacturing in their countries/ nations.
But in a world driven economy- exclusively buying from one country or another, simply isn’t going to solve that countries problems, or their business.
Nor is front loading politics into DAC buying going to give you good sound.
Just my opinion, given the current state of affairs, it’s nice to have a political free zone here, don’t you think?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #4,037 of 4,957
Agreed.
I enjoyed reading Schiit Hapoens
And agree, as Stoddard implies in his book, everyone’s free to choose their own business model, so to speak.
The end product, and support to the consumer is in the end the real deciding factor.
Where the tire meets the road, so to speak.
I think most here understand the value of domestic manufacturing in their countries/ nations.
But in a world driven economy- exclusively buying from one country or another, simply isn’t going to solve that countries problems, or their business.
Nor is front loading politics into DAC buying going to give you good sound.
Just my opinion, given the current state of affairs, it’s nice to have a political free zone here, don’t you think?
Yes.

The main Schiit thread has derailed many times when politics get involved. Hence the “sine wave”.

Dec 25, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #4,038 of 4,957
Yes.

The main Schiit thread has derailed many times when politics get involved. Hence the “sine wave”.
When you read Schiit Happens-nothing political about IMHO. A good read. I esp enjoyed it from a business perspective.
One interesting thing Stoddard pointed out, in a few different ways. Is people's tendency to misinterpret things/read between the lines things that simply aren't there or accurate.
And how/need to work around that. Esp dealing with customers.
IMHO that's clearly the case with Schiit threads becoming political.

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #4,039 of 4,957
When you read Schiit Happens-nothing political about IMHO. A good read. I esp enjoyed it from a business perspective.
One interesting thing Stoddard pointed out, in a few different ways. Is people's tendency to misinterpret things/read between the lines things that simply aren't there or accurate.
And how/need to work around that. Esp dealing with customers.
IMHO that's clearly the case with Schiit threads becoming political.
The posts that were politically motivated were deleted. I didn’t intend to suggest the blog was politically motivated. And it is most certainly not Jason that derails the thread.

Jason loosely moderates the blog, it’s only when things a go completely nuts (i.e political posts) the mods kick in and delete. Therefore the blog stays neutral.

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #4,040 of 4,957
The posts that were politically motivated were deleted. I didn’t intend to suggest the blog was politically motivated. And it is most certainly not Jason that derails the thread.

Jason loosely moderates the blog, it’s only when things a go completely nuts (i.e political posts) the mods kick in and delete. Therefore the blog stays neutral.
Gottcha.
Free flow of information IMHO is important-I'd be doing the same thing.
Best thing to do is just to ignore those post, as they don’t warrant commenting on.
I certainly will in the future.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #4,041 of 4,957
Merry Christmas folks. Sleep well.............

Dave

Dec 27, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #4,043 of 4,957
Try changing your power cord to a different circuit (not just a different socket). If you don't have a home wiring schematic, try using a long drop cord and plugging into different rooms. I use a good UPS.

Here's some other suggestions: https://www.circuitbread.com/ee-faq/what-is-a-ground-loop
I have this with a NAD d3045. Changing sample rates made it go away for me. I usually used 24 bit 192khz with other dacs but had to lower to 92khz to have this go away. Also reading it could be USB port. JDs labs has some further reading in their support area when I was having similar issues https://jdslabs.com/support/troubleshooting/#category-1-question-8

Dec 27, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #4,045 of 4,957
I have the 3+ and it’s brighter and not as smooth as my 2/64 (more “etch” to the highs)
Thanks. On the other site (SBAF) there was a post by someone saying the 2/64 was uncomfortably bright. Made me question my future purchase decisions.

Dec 27, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #4,046 of 4,957
Thanks. On the other site (SBAF) there was a post by someone saying the 2/64 was uncomfortably bright. Made me question my future purchase decisions.
I recall reading that thread, including older posts, a number of which recommended some relatively substantial burn-in. Or ”brain-train“. Or both. This kind of issue makes me wish Schiit would increase the return window to 30 days.

Of course, none of this stopped me from purchasing the BF and Lyr+ last week. 😎

Dec 27, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #4,047 of 4,957
If you want less etch and not spend a ton of cash-find a older one with the Velvet AK chip. Usually when you move up in a product line the upper dac's give resolution with out etch-to a point.
Frankly IMHO some etch is simply on the recording-so you have to choose a smoother dac with less resolution in those areas.
Never a free lunch.

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #4,048 of 4,957
My 2 cents:

I think a lot of that is very system dependent. And I say that because I’m quite treble sensitive and on my primary listening setup (Bluesound NODE used as a transport for my attached NAS, Burson Soloist 3XP, Bifrost 2/64 all feeding my 2021 LCD-X) I do not find the 2/64 made my system bright at all. In fact it was brighter when I still used the built in NODE DAC.

It did have an “etch” to the highs during early listening but I left it alone to burn in for about 100hrs and it was gone after that.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #4,049 of 4,957
My 2 cents:

I think a lot of that is very system dependent. And I say that because I’m quite treble sensitive and on my primary listening setup (Bluesound NODE used as a transport for my attached NAS, Burson Soloist 3XP, Bifrost 2/64 all feeding my 2021 LCD-X) I do not find the 2/64 made my system bright at all. In fact it was brighter when I see the built in NODE DAC.

It did have an “etch” to the highs during early listening but I left it alone to burn in for about 100hrs and it was gone after that.
Agreed-I have been borrowing a broken in 2/64. It's not bright by any means. And I have Emit's and Great Heils. I originally thought it might be. I like the OG-but will eventually upgrade I imagine. But the difference is not life or death. I can live with both versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back