Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Dec 10, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #3,976 of 4,971
Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #3,977 of 4,971
Thanks for sharing this thought, seems like there are only a few of us digging the NOS mode in the BF 2/64 - including myself,@theveterans and maybe just a few others. Seems like a majority prefer the MCB filter more.
Keep in mind I'm using a BF2 with the dual Analog Devices D/A converters. The BF2/64 uses quad Texas Instruments converters. Maybe the sound of the BF2 with the AD converters inherently lends itself better to being run in NOS mode, more than the 2/64 with the TI converters? I don't know.

What I DO know is the firmware update with the added ability to run the BF2 in NOS mode is a game-changer for this little DAC - making it's sound more versatile for current users AND a more interesting / intriguing prospect to new customers. Schiit should have made this update available for the BF2 A LONG time ago. Like I said a while back, once I listened in NOS I never went back.

If I was the owner of a BF2 (which I am) and was on the fence about doing the board replacement (which I was/am), I would update the firmware immediately & check it out running in NOS mode for a while.

Dec 10, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #3,978 of 4,971
The Ares II (now called the Enyo) is a very good sounding DAC. I owned one briefly this past summer. Very different from the Bifrost 2. Too bad the NOS firmware update wasn't yet available for the BF2 when I had the Ares II here. It would have been a little more interesting comparison running the BF in NOS mode. Unfortunately the Ares didn't work out in my system and had to go back. Otherwise it would have stayed, ultimately replacing the BF2.
What about the Ares made it “not work out” in your system (despite it being “very good sounding”)? Thanks

Dec 10, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #3,979 of 4,971
If I was the owner of a BF2 (which I am) and was on the fence about doing the board replacement (which I was/am), I would update the firmware immediately & check it out running in NOS mode for a while.
Wait, if I have an OG BF2, I can get the NOS update without doing the 2/64 card upgrade? How / where do I find instructions?

Dec 10, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #3,980 of 4,971
Dec 10, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #3,981 of 4,971
Dec 10, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #3,982 of 4,971
What about the Ares made it “not work out” in your system (despite it being “very good sounding”)? Thanks
My sample suffered from the "micro-skipping" problem in my system - discussed here: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/denafrips-dacs.897934/page-101

Denafrips ended up buying my entire front-end, including cables, to help them diagnose the problem. I don't think they've yet gotten to the bottom of the problem or they're just avoiding the issue.

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #3,983 of 4,971
Thank you. For some reason I had assumed 100% incorrectly that NOS only came with the 2/64 upgrade. Tone likely saved me some real cash. Will update firmware and report back!
Glad you can save some $$ (Big). Please let us know your thoughts.

Leo

Dec 10, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #3,984 of 4,971
Keep in mind I'm using a BF2 with the dual Analog Devices D/A converters. The BF2/64 uses quad Texas Instruments converters.

Ah, thought you did the card upgrade to the 2/64, good to know. Yes, would agree non-oversampling (NOS) mode might not sound the same with two completely different dac designs and processor chip architectures. One of the reasons I bought this new dac was also curiosity about the how the new TI quad chips might perform.

In addition, to compare to another R2R NOS tube ladder dac I own at 1.5x the price, and to another industry praised dac that retailed at close to 3x the price new that I sent back not liking it after a 2-week demo.

BF 2/64 also became interesting seeing Jason Stoddard's feedback about his own comparisons to Yggy and what he claims he uses on his desk now. The ability to easily switch between the Mega Combo Burrito filter and NOS mode was also compelling to me. What I did not expect was to like NOS mode more than MCB filer mode in my system. I use it with a 6SN7 tube preamp, two mono tube amps, and my own MTM Air Motion speaker design - not in a headphone use situation.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #3,985 of 4,971
Dec 11, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #3,986 of 4,971
Dec 11, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #3,987 of 4,971
Hey, who let you guys in here?!? 😄

Heheh, someone once told me you guys truly enjoy listening and describing how things sound in a way the rest of us can relate to and reasonably understand. :)

While its not quite the same with a room involved for what some here refer to as "speaker listeners", the insight here is truly appreciated. Thanks to all, Happy Holidays!

Dec 12, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #3,988 of 4,971
Has anyone considered changing from their Bitfrost 2 to the new Ares 12th because of the addition of I2S to the Denafrips?
I ask because the new Mercury V2 has great specs and I only stream music via Qobuz.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #3,989 of 4,971
Has anyone regretted doing the BF2/64 upgrade and switched back to their OG card? I have such good synergy in my current setup with the OG BF2 that I hesitate to change anything. I know, I know, I could always switch back to the OG card if I didn’t like the change, but I’m just trying to convince myself to not spend another $300, haha.
Me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back