Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Nov 28, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #3,931 of 4,957
May this year be better to you and your audio endeavors.
Thanks, you know being able to work and go to college while at home makes a big difference. No $$$ going to rent every month for what I would consider one of the worst living conditions ever. Glad to be getting my favorite dac back with some upgrades.

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #3,932 of 4,957
Got my BF 2/64 delivered, just in time before weekend... Just to open the box and find no power cord.
Best case scenario I'll have to wait for a week or two to get the missing one delivered (international shipment...).

Stupid question - will any physically compatible one do? E.g. one from a laptop.

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #3,933 of 4,957
Got my BF 2/64 delivered, just in time before weekend... Just to open the box and find no power cord.
Best case scenario I'll have to wait for a week or two to get the missing one delivered (international shipment...).

Stupid question - will any physically compatible one do? E.g. one from a laptop.

EDIT - CORRECTION
They don't come with one. Mine did not. For now, you can go to a medical supply store for a medical grade chord if you don't already have one in mind from a speciality audio outlet as one idea.

Update: I stand corrected. Went out in the garage, took out my box, looked under the the foam and plastic and there it was, a small gauge power cord, tightly wrapped in the bottom of the box. I use my own power cables, and apparently overlooked it and left it in the box I guess where it will stay. Apologize for any confusion. Mine came with a power chord!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #3,934 of 4,957

Any grounded 3 prong cord will do.

Jason makes it a point to not use fancy audiophile cords on Schiit products.

Dec 2, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #3,935 of 4,957
Finally replacing my living room DAC with a BF2/64. Initially I was looking at some recent discrete R-2R DACs, but I need a real workhouse in the entertainment center since it will be handling duties for any and all digital audio, and almost all of the worthy R2R DACs are true purist pieces.

While the BF2/64 might not be as tubey as other discrete R2R topologies, the dynamic, clear, and smooth sound of the BF2/64 should suit my current 2-channel setup better than my current DAC. The remote is just a bonus for couch listening.

Dec 2, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #3,936 of 4,957
They don't come with one. Mine did not. Keeps price down and people are particular. For now, you can go to a medical supply store for a medical grade chord if you don't already have one in mind from a speciality audio outlet as one idea.
It’s supposed to have a power cord included. I bought one back in September and it was included.
All Schiit products are supposed to be shipped with a means to connect it to power (power cord, wall wart or USB w/adapter) The only cables that are never included are interconnects.

Attachments

• 78903666-ABE0-41EC-8EC8-62D0D819CCCE.jpeg
    78903666-ABE0-41EC-8EC8-62D0D819CCCE.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #3,937 of 4,957
It’s supposed to have a power cable included. I bought one back in September and it was included
Of course! What manufacturer would send you a dac, or an amp, dap, or any other gear without a cord? I have a number of Schiity products and ALL of them came with an electronic cord.

Leo

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #3,938 of 4,957
Of course! What manufacturer would send you a dac, or an amp, dap, or any other gear without a cord? I have a number of Schiity products and ALL of them came with an electronic cord.

Leo
Yeh, this is why "Plug Type" is an option when selecting one of their pieces of schiit.

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #3,939 of 4,957
Update: I was wrong, EDIT to my post above. Went out in the garage, pulled the box and checked. Mine DID in fact come with a small gauge power chord neatly tucked in the side-bottom of the box under the foam and plastic. Apparently I simply overlooked it choosing not to use it when I first opened the box and left it there. I stand corrected. Apologize for any confusion. Thx.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #3,941 of 4,957
Finally replacing my living room DAC with a BF2/64. Initially I was looking at some recent discrete R-2R DACs, but I need a real workhouse in the entertainment center since it will be handling duties for any and all digital audio, and almost all of the worthy R2R DACs are true purist pieces.

While the BF2/64 might not be as tubey as other discrete R2R topologies, the dynamic, clear, and smooth sound of the BF2/64 should suit my current 2-channel setup better than my current DAC. The remote is just a bonus for couch listening.
In the 2 years I've owned my BF2 it's proven to be absolutely bulletproof - and it sounds great (especially in NOS mode - in my modest system). Should be perfect & will serve you well in your application.

Dec 3, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #3,942 of 4,957
In the 2 years I've owned my BF2 it's proven to be absolutely bulletproof - and it sounds great (especially in NOS mode - in my modest system). Should be perfect & will serve you well in your application.

@twigfarm Thanks for sharing these facts too - bullentproofness is helpful to know. I'm curious in your case to know if you are one of the consumers who leaves your unit on all of the time or turns it on/off for use periods primarily. I've decided to just turn mine on the night before the next day I plan to listen, and before listening weekends and such in my speaker system setup. Hoping it will last ok with on/off cycles instead. I've turned my other tube DAC units on/off before use, and never any problems. Hoping the same longevity for the piece of Schiit.

Dec 3, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #3,943 of 4,957
@twigfarm Thanks for sharing these facts too - bullentproofness is helpful to know. I'm curious in your case to know if you are one of the consumers who leaves your unit on all of the time or turns it on/off for use periods primarily. I've decided to just turn mine on the night before the next day I plan to listen, and before listening weekends and such in my speaker system setup. Hoping it will last ok with on/off cycles instead. I've turned my other tube DAC units on/off before use, and never any problems. Hoping the same longevity for the piece of Schiit.
Although there is a lot to be said for keeping these things on 24/7 to sound their best, I found that once the Bifrost (and any other component for that matter) is fully "broken in", it usually starts sounding it's best 45-60 minutes after a cold start. We have relatively flakey power where we live so rather than risk having anything happen during the night, I turn off the system at bedtime and turn on the pieces that may get listened to in the morning. During the break-in period I would play music through the component all day (CD on repeat) and, again, shut down for the night.

Dave

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #3,944 of 4,957
@twigfarm Thanks Dave. Same as you, even with power protection I don't trust local power either. I do shut mine off if I don't think I'll be listening for a few days.

-----------

Flipside Update: Seems there may be something to this notion (widespread recommendation) by many here on head-fi.org about powering this BF 2/64 up long before listening. I've been trying the 1hr power-on sessions as you are now as a test. THEN this this week, and last few days decided to leave my DAC on for 12-24 hours before listening sessions. Last night left the BF 2/64 powered on for at least 12hrs. Came back to listen, fired up my tube preamp and mono tube amps fairly cold and started listening at 1hr. Wow. Now the sound is smoother, more textured, no edge or etch, just simply smoother and more analog sounding.

Thought I read something to do with the TI chips around all of this needing 24hrs. Becoming a true believer of this notion. Gonna try 24hrs now. All I can say is it's just smoother right now at 13-14hrs dac power-on pre-warming. I can also see why some want to leave it on. Very nice. A pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #3,945 of 4,957
On the fence with getting a new DAC. I hvae a SMSL AO200 amp for speakers and when I purchased many reviews said the DAC built in was terrible. Playing it I have no problems with how it sounds compared to some older amps I have with ESS 9018 chips. I am torn on getting the matching SMSL do200 or the BF2 2/64 (or a used one but none in Canadaa right now). I'd love to get a Ragnarok 2 also but all the normal things right now are making me wait a year or 2 to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back