Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Nov 21, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #3,916 of 4,960
Bifrost 2 relays and usb c

It used to regularly click when first turned on and when idle. Now silent or just one click. Using USB c to i phone. For past few months had trouble recog iphone. Unplugging, on off stuff eventually got to work. Now today nothing or just one click no hand shake

Before i buy new usb and apple dongle, wondering if problem with bifrost2. It seems the clicking is the unit checking on inputs- cycling thru the 3 choices. Could be out of warranty

Thoghts?
IIRC, BF2 warranty is 5 years in USA.

+1 about trying other USB sources like a win 10 or Win 11 PC, another known good USB cable, as well as the toslink optical and/or coaxial s/pdif inputs (potential sources include TV's, CD players, older DVD players, gaming consoles, AV receivers with legacy support).

if the toslink and coaxial s/pdif sources work, then you might email info@schiit.com about just swapping out the USB module instead of sending the entire unit back.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #3,917 of 4,960
Sounds like something theveterens would say. I strongly dislike NOS mode on BF2 in my system at all sample rates 🙂
I felt the same. Tried a few songs, better with the filter. Tonight, I read a post from one complaining his Bifrost became "clogged" after extended use, and using the NOS feature reset the DAC. Yea, I'll invest 3 seconds (the time to change the Bifrost to NOS by depressing the power button) of my time to investigate, but then, I'm always about the music (5 seconds or more, I'm out).

My album tonight is Julian Lage View with a Room. I don't discern a difference with filter on or off. Not a bad album. The album won't make my playlists.

How hard is it to break into Jazz as a guitarist these days? Lage is a child prodigy. He doesn't hit a bad note. His main fault; He's not Wes Montgomery, or John Pizzarelli, or John McLaughlin.

Going forward, I intend to check more music with filter on and off.

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #3,919 of 4,960
Interesting how 'Passion for Sound' reviewer guy mentions how the Bifrost 2/64 to his ears is identical tonally to the Yggy. He has been a big fan of Yggy and personally owns one iirc. Also, appreciated his comments about how the change from BF OG to BF 2/64 is also very system dependent. Overall seems like a reasonable reviewer generally offering fair assessments. While I'm not a dedicated headphone listener, I do trust judgements here and with this reviewer b/c of the use of headphones when evaluating! :)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #3,920 of 4,960
I just pulled the trigger on the 2/64 upgrade, though I still suspect it's just a side-grade.

I also bought a Modius to use as a comparison with a good delta-sigma DAC.

Truth be told, I'll likely not hear much of a difference, if any at all! I couldn't easily hear a different between the Bifrost 1 & 2, or even the balanced DAC card in my Jotenheim.

Nov 27, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #3,921 of 4,960
I just pulled the trigger on the 2/64 upgrade, though I still suspect it's just a side-grade.

Truth be told, I'll likely not hear much of a difference, if any at all! I couldn't easily hear a different between the Bifrost 1 & 2, or even the balanced DAC card in my Jotenheim.
Cool. Maybe you can provide a double blind test of differences between Modius and Bifrost 2/64 if there are any. : ) Since I have the Modius too and really love my setup right now. But I never know how far the subjective stuff goes in reality. Recently, I have gone with products that are loved by the subjective and objective crowds and it's working out well. If the Bifrost actually matters over the Modius - then that would be a game changer.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #3,922 of 4,960
Cool. Maybe you can provide a double blind test of differences between Modius and Bifrost 2/64 if there are any. : ) Since I have the Modius too and really love my setup right now. But I never know how far the subjective stuff goes in reality. Recently, I have gone with products that are loved by the subjective and objective crowds and it's working out well. If the Bifrost actually matters over the Modius - then that would be a game changer.

I haven't heard the Modius E, but the Modius AKM is definitely noticeably a step back than the Bifrost 2 especially in imaging and presentation

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #3,923 of 4,960

Congrats! Let us know your thoughts. For me personally, the upgrade was in fact a major upgrade. No sideways here. Of course, that’s me! What say you?

Leo

Nov 28, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #3,924 of 4,960
I haven't heard the Modius E, but the Modius AKM is definitely noticeably a step back than the Bifrost 2 especially in imaging and presentation
I had a Modi 3E and sold it, didn't care for it. The Modius AK4493 was a big step up from the Modi 3+ in my opinion. The Modi multibit is still my favorite budget DAC from Schiit.

Nov 28, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #3,925 of 4,960
Sorry to ask, but if I purchase a New Bifröst from Schiit does it come with the 2/64 already installed?

Nov 28, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #3,926 of 4,960
Sorry to ask, but if I purchase a New Bifröst from Schiit does it come with the 2/64 already installed?
Yes.

However, if there are closeouts on sale, they may be of the OG Bifrost 2 variety and would need the $300 upgrade to bring them up to current spec.

Nov 28, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #3,927 of 4,960
Yes.

However, if there are closeouts on sale, they may be of the OG Bifrost 2 variety and would need the $300 upgrade to bring them up to current spec.
Alright thank you!

Nov 28, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #3,929 of 4,960
May this year be better to you and your audio endeavors.

Nov 28, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #3,930 of 4,960
Yes.

On the main Schiit site as of 11/28/22, currently seeing only new Bifrost 2/64 listed, and one B-Stock, Black, 230VAC.

When I bought my BF 2/64 over a month ago, do not recall seeing any OG versions still listed for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back