Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 25, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #3,301 of 4,971
Yup! Me too. And then selling my Bifrost 2. But if I DO buy a Gungnir, it will probably be used. Based on what I've read I think any generation of the MB version would be an upgrade.
Some ppl think the bass isn't quite controlled enough on the gumby. I actually had but sold it after getting the BF2. In fairness, I never heard the gumby with unison usb. At the time it didn't exist for the gumby. But once I heard the BF2 with Unison I felt I genuinely had an upgrade at that point.

Aug 25, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #3,302 of 4,971
Some ppl think the bass isn't quite controlled enough on the gumby. I actually had but sold it after getting the BF2. In fairness, I never heard the gumby with unison usb. At the time it didn't exist for the gumby. But once I heard the BF2 with Unison I felt I genuinely had an upgrade at that point.
I will get it and do comparisons. Does the unison really makes magic? I thought it was just to get a cleaner sound that is unnoticeable unless you start to do A/B comparisons

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #3,303 of 4,971
I also canceled the card as I like the current MB experience and I was thinking on buy the Gungnir instead as an upgrade because seems it will vanish soon due they cannot get the chips anymore.

Yup! Me too. And then selling my Bifrost 2. But if I DO buy a Gungnir, it will probably be used. Based on what I've read I think any generation of the MB version would be an upgrade.
From what I recall the Gungnir MB and BF2 OG are fairly close.

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #3,304 of 4,971
If your looking for something-used-different-but close-maybe a Chord 2Qute.
Not trying to Schiit on Schiit.
But those who really like the OG BF2-and the Modi3+...you will like this dac. Alot
Like the BF2-everything you play through it sounds awesome.
They can be had for less then $500.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #3,305 of 4,971
Hard decision , I stick with BF2 OG, the difference is not worth, is so close like you say reading comparisons. Maybe better to wait what new thing has schiit under the rug.

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #3,306 of 4,971
From what I recall the Gungnir MB and BF2 OG are fairly close.

Depends on how you define close. I have a Gungnir MB A1 (early version Gungnir MB) and I prefer it to my Bifrost 2. The Gungnir has more resolution in the sense that I can hear further into the recording and a more fleshed out midrange that pairs better with some of my amps like the Liquid Gold X. The Gungnir is enough better that I would consider the difference in cost to get a Gungnir instead of a Bifrost 2 to be worth it. But other people with different gear and different headphones might not notice as much or care as much about such differences.

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #3,307 of 4,971
Hard decision , I stick with BF2 OG, the difference is not worth, is so close like you say reading comparisons. Maybe better to wait what new thing has schiit under the rug.

You don’t want Schiit from under the rug. And what is this Schiit smear everyone is talking about? Never heard it.

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #3,308 of 4,971
I will get it and do comparisons. Does the unison really makes magic? I thought it was just to get a cleaner sound that is unnoticeable unless you start to do A/B comparisons
Unison was huge for me. USB is typically a pretty terrible way to move audio around, and Unison kind of solves that problem as well as it can be solved. When Unison came out, I believe Mike Moffat said he preferred it to spdif or aes.

Jitter is the enemy!

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #3,309 of 4,971
Unison was huge for me. USB is typically a pretty terrible way to move audio around, and Unison kind of solves that problem as well as it can be solved. When Unison came out, I believe Mike Moffat said he preferred it to spdif or aes.

Jitter is the enemy!

I believe I wrote about reclocking mechanism here before, but only Gungnir MB (used to have VXCO but only VCO now) and Yggdrasil (VXCO) have a reclocker inside that's active across all inputs. Bifrost and lower models rely on the wordclock of the incoming stream on all inputs. Unison has a much better reclocker than Gen5 USB while the SPDIF inputs on BF2 relies on the upstream jitter quality. Back during the Bifrost 1 MB days, people always recommend the coax out due to the clock source of the CD transports or Raspberry Pi2AES were fantastic while the Gen2 USB reclocker is clearly inferior. Unison pretty much elimated that gap hence all inputs are good with BF2. With higher Schiit DACs you get a high quality VXCO reclocker for a more consistent low jitter performance. The basis for the ultra-high end R2R DACs is pretty much this femto-clock principle right next to the ladder DAC modules for best performance and most resolute sound possible.

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #3,310 of 4,971
The basis for the ultra-high end R2R DACs is pretty much this femto-clock principle right next to the ladder DAC modules for best performance and most resolute sound possible.
Plus the more robust and sophisticated power supply on each price point spike.

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #3,311 of 4,971
Depends on how you define close. I have a Gungnir MB A1 (early version Gungnir MB) and I prefer it to my Bifrost 2. The Gungnir has more resolution in the sense that I can hear further into the recording and a more fleshed out midrange that pairs better with some of my amps like the Liquid Gold X. The Gungnir is enough better that I would consider the difference in cost to get a Gungnir instead of a Bifrost 2 to be worth it. But other people with different gear and different headphones might not notice as much or care as much about such differences.
Thanks I appreciate that
I had borrowed one similar to that in my system but it didn’t have the latest USB.
And your conclusions now that I recall (roughly) seem similar.
I liked it a lot at the time I wasn’t ready to shell out $1200.. not that I couldn’t afford it just one of those things.
But when I demoed the BF2, at the time I it had a very similar qualities, very unlike the BF1qualities-at what seem like a bargain price so I bought it, seem like a complete no-brainer at the price.
Frankly I couldn’t tell you if it was worth the extra amount in my system or not because I have an a/b the two.
But I’ll certainly take your word for it
Thanks for the clarification

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #3,312 of 4,971
I also canceled the card as I like the current MB experience and I was thinking on buy the Gungnir instead as an upgrade because seems it will vanish soon due they cannot get the chips anymore.
I suspect the Gungnir will "vanish", not for lack of chips, but lack of buyers.

The Bifrost 2/64 supplants the Gungnir in most respects. Maybe Schiit creates a new upper mid-range, full format DAC. I suspect not.

It makes sense to me to offer various levels, and prices for an Yggdrasil variant.

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #3,315 of 4,971

Users who are viewing this thread

Back