Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 24, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #3,286 of 4,960
I don't have either, although the BF2/64 card is ordered. The A/B test article states that BF2/64 is very similar in design to the Yggy LIM, and it says some testers stated that BF2/64 was a bit grainy and smeared. Using the transitive law of audio, I applied the same opinions to Yggy LIM card since it shares a similar architecture.

** I was kidding. My comment was tongue-in-cheek. :D
Gottcha-NP

Aug 24, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #3,287 of 4,960
I thought he was referring to the OG as "slightly smeared", maybe I read it wrong?

Edit - ja, here's the paragraph:
Listeners described the overall difference between the two digital feeds as both subtle and offering only a very slight change in tone, like “the difference between a Gala or a Fuji apple”. While the sound of the original Bifrost 2 was articulated as more “full” or warmer, many people described it as just a little less crisp, and perhaps a little more smeared compared to the Bifrost 2/64.
I'm suspect of any "listeners" opinions who haven't spent some amount of time with the equipment.

Personally, I don't form (firm) opinions without at least 5 days (at least 2 hrs. per day).

There's also the dual question of ears and equipment.

I've spent years listening to pretty good audio equipment. Not top notch, but pretty good. My current main rig consists of the Bifrost 2/64>Jotumheim 2/Lyr 3 (Lyr 3 acting as preamp)>Senn. HD 850s/HiFiman Arya v2 (I have more phones, but these 2 are 99% for me).

Ears: I'm on the back 9 of my life. That said, my ears are still very good. Hearing test biannually. The main thing, I have trained ears. I can identify low range, mid range, high range. I'm a former (school) musician. I know from where and how instruments should sound.

I'm not a perfect equipment reviewer, but I may know a thing or 2 more than the casual attendee who saddles up for a listen, and then lends his opinion.

Aug 24, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #3,288 of 4,960
I don't have either, although the BF2/64 card is ordered. The A/B test article states that BF2/64 is very similar in design to the Yggy LIM, and it says some testers stated that BF2/64 was a bit grainy and smeared. Using the transitive law of audio, I applied the same opinions to Yggy LIM card since it shares a similar architecture.

Well, you got a chuckle out of me, I'm looking forward to your impressions of the upgrade. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. I was unsure at first but after 36 hours it has continued to fluctuate but improve and after a couple of weeks, I am very pleased with the upgrade and think it is worth every penny and more.

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #3,289 of 4,960
It would depend on the your preferred music and how badly mastered the tracks are. If you're listening to well mastered jazz/classical/rarely well mastered electronic music (e.g. daftpunk), I find Chord DACs rewarding sounding while I get a more engaging sound from BF2 from most music that I listen to since they're either mastered brightly (some 80's music, the cure, billy idol) or compressed to oblivion (modern pop/rock/jpop/kpop etc like RHCP, twentyonepilots, etc)
I think you really pointed out the reason many of us find the OG BF2 such a awesome and musical DAC.
Guy's like my self-listen to alot of XM radio-(running a Polk tuner thorough the BF/2)-Amazon Music and the like-You Tube-I Heart-and cd's last for the most part.
Not 'perfect" sources.
It really improves your listening enjoyment immensely, even with sketchy sources.
Myself-could not wrap my ears around the original BF MB-nor the Modi MB. But love the Modi 3+, and run a old Sony CD changer through it in my 1/2 of my 1.5 system.
With the BF2, the 'classic' MB sound of the affordable DAC's-became more then listenable.
Colored? Maybe.
Maybe a bit of the 'ripe' NOS/TDA sound.
But what component isn't colored if want to be honest.
Smearing/timing issues/space/depth.
I think if a change makes you listen less to your system-it clearly wasn't a upgrade-the whole point-the end game-is musical enjoyment-not the gear.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #3,290 of 4,960
I think you really pointed out the reason many of us find the OG BF2 such a awesome and musical DAC.
Guy's like my self-listen to alot of XM radio-(running a Polk tuner thorough the BF/2)-Amazon Music and the like-You Tube-I Heart-and cd's last for the most part.
Not 'perfect" sources.
It really improves your listening enjoyment immensely, even with sketchy sources.
Myself-could not wrap my ears around the original BF MB-nor the Modi MB. But love the Modi 3+, and run a old Sony CD changer through it in my 1/2 of my 1.5 system.
With the BF2, the 'classic' MB sound of the affordable DAC's-became more then listenable.
Colored? Maybe.
Maybe a bit of the 'ripe' NOS/TDA sound.
But what component isn't colored if want to be honest.
Smearing/timing issues/space/depth.
I think if a change makes you listen less to your system-it clearly wasn't a upgrade-the whole point-the end game-is musical enjoyment-not the gear.

Agreed. You know you got the system that's best for your needs if it keeps pulling you in and you're being forced to listen to one more song, one more album, and it's already past 12am. Still couldn't fathom that we can have that kind of system without spending a college savings plan these days

Aug 25, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #3,291 of 4,960
What about the guys that are still running the original Bifrost Multibit with Unison, does anyone have a comparison between it and the new Bifrost 2/64?

Aug 25, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #3,292 of 4,960
Isn't it amazing? Mine is a mix of vintage and modern new used, and in between.
Besides settling in ESS and Infinity Emits, my biggest and best change was getting a Van Alstine Transcendence tube preamp.
everything I’ve been trying to do finally came in to focus synergistically and musically.
Clearly my choices of preamps were holding my system back.
Good sounding, powerful amplifiers are plentiful and easy to find (H/K amp fan here)) IMHO
Preamps, not so much.

Aug 25, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #3,293 of 4,960
What about the guys that are still running the original Bifrost Multibit with Unison, does anyone have a comparison between it and the new Bifrost 2/64?
Sure.
The original BF MB-even with a newer USB card-at least IMHO-isn't close to the BF2.
The original BF MB to me-was more or less a Modi MB.
Unison is much better-no need to isolate the 5 volt power
To me-the OG BF2 was what I imagined a good Schiit MB DAC should sound like.
Make all your digital music organic/analog and enjoyable.
Not perfect but enjoyable.
SO you get listen to music-forget about your system/dac fiddleing.
Thats what the OF BF2 did to my system.
Decent transducers can extract the last bits of details-IMHO.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #3,295 of 4,960
Isn't it amazing? Mine is a mix of vintage and modern new used, and in between.
Besides settling in ESS and Infinity Emits, my biggest and best change was getting a Van Alstine Transcendence tube preamp.
everything I’ve been trying to do finally came in to focus synergistically and musically.
Clearly my choices of preamps were holding my system back.
Good sounding, powerful amplifiers are plentiful and easy to find (H/K amp fan here)) IMHO
Preamps, not so much.

I also run the Schiit Saga OG to my nearfield speakers and I certainly feel that I’m truly not holding back Bifrost 2. For my headphone amp, I use the Forge 32/300 ohm, and that tube amp made me realize that BF2 with even the OG card is revealing even more “plankton” than I ever thought it could

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #3,296 of 4,960

I too have ordered the BF2/64 card
Wow. So, I guess the Yggy LIM is grainy and a tad smeared. Good thing I bought the BF2/64 upgrade as it seems that my disappointment will come at a much lower cost. :smirk:

Just kidding, folks. Looking forward to hearing the level of synergy it has with my 2-channel rig.
I too have ordered the BF2/64 and look forward to hearing it myself. I do understand that you were writing tongue in cheek here. But just in case some readers get the wrong idea about BF 2/64, the "more grain" comment in this review was about BF 2/64, while the "perhaps a little more smeared" comment was about the OG BF2 when comparing it with 2/64.

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #3,297 of 4,960
I had a card ordered-but canceled.
I got caught up in the upgrade fevor-but then recalled my dac search before the OGBF2.
And my experiences with earlier Schiit MB's
And recalling why I like the OG BF2 so much.
Frankly I had forgotten-because it's all about the music with my current system synergy.
I have other things on my mind-not upgrading my system.
Except for a recap of my RSiiia's-I'm pretty much good.
Yes there are much better components then what I currently have.
But plugging one in won't make anything better-and most certainly would require some other changes to compliment
AT this point I'm fine

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #3,298 of 4,960
Edit-plugging the new card-probably would be better-more resolution etc-but not ideal with my current system, with out some requisite changes
Great Heils and Emit's don't hide much.

I take Schiit word when they say it is better-it's a positive progression from the OG.
Many look for spec's-and this version has it.
Nothing wrong with that-IMHO.

Schiit needs to do what they see fit for their company.
As they should be able to with out hassle.
I'm just happy they made the OGBF2

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #3,300 of 4,960
I also canceled the card as I like the current MB experience and I was thinking on buy the Gungnir instead as an upgrade because seems it will vanish soon due they cannot get the chips anymore.
Yup! Me too. And then selling my Bifrost 2. But if I DO buy a Gungnir, it will probably be used. Based on what I've read I think any generation of the MB version would be an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back