Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 13, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #3,166 of 4,971
Is the general consensus that the Bifrost 2 with the NOS enabling firmware sounds the same when NOS is not enabled?

It's probably just my imagination, but I keep thinking that I'm hearing sharper treble. I have a Bifrost 2 that is updated to the very latest firmware.
I've noticed no difference.
Strange how some hear it and others don't. Strange that some had firmware issues and others didn't.
Figure everyone that bought BF new or bought the upgrade would have started out with the same thing.

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #3,167 of 4,971
I was curious to see whether the firmware update fixes the issues I had with WASAPI in event mode and hardware buffer lengths > 20 ms, but nothing appears to have changed on that front. Curious that one of the two firmware files increased 23% in size for this fix.
That's to communicate with the servers in Italy ... no need for you to worry about such things.

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #3,168 of 4,971
I love the Auricles, I think Jeff Bagby really dialed it in with this design - the 6.5" Satori and the RAAL integrate beautifully, pretty simple first and second order crossovers, and a simple, elegant design. Both drivers do what they do beautifully, the Satori is super musical with outstanding timbre, and the RAALs, well you either love them or not I guess, but to me they present music in a really natural and effortless way. Some people have compared them to the Salk Silks, which isn't surprising given the similarities and the fact that Mr. Salk and Mr. Bagby were friends and worked together I believe. It doesn't hurt that I maxed out the internals either :) Not cheap for a DIY 2 way, but it was worth it to me. With tubes and the Bifrost, jazz, vocals, guitar, even piano if the recording is good, sound as if the musicians are in the room, to (not) coin a phrase!
Hmmm...maybe a new project for @Paladin79 ...?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #3,169 of 4,971
You guys are freaking me out, man.

I'm having measurement anxiety.

Modius to the rescue. Kick my BF2's ass all over the place with all that SINAD!

God help me ... listening to poorly sourced recordings made in the 3rd world 45 years ago, which sound like they've been stored in a backwoods grow. And my dac is the problem ...

haha. hahahaha. Modius is not the answer I am looking for ...

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #3,170 of 4,971
Hmmm...maybe a new project for @Paladin79 ...?
Now there's a bad idea lol. I am already ten sets of speakers behind that I need to build for local friends who want tiny radials. :ksc75smile:

5C54CE8E-02F1-458B-8C45-F82012EA6D14.jpeg645D3445-9958-4E0D-8AE2-FB99CCBC7ADE.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #3,171 of 4,971
I'm waiting for the tiny 'Bias Ply' model. :smirk:

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #3,174 of 4,971
I suspect we will be equally as fanatic about our choice while likely being far more polite than some Topping fan sites. :wink:

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #3,175 of 4,971
Wait, are you seriously wondering if the Schiit fan boys in the Schiit history forum are going to think their Schiit sounds better than the other guys Schiit?
Personally, I thought the Topping was a great value. However, for MY TASTES, it was too clinical sounding. Too sterile, and not fun. Again, FOR ME. YMMV

Leo

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #3,179 of 4,971
fwiw I thought the Topping e50 (which I think has been called a stripped down d90se?) held its own to the B2, but depends on the synergy with the rest of your system. With one (very detail oriented) amp I preferred the Topping because it's smoother and the Bifrost is a bit artificially bright by comparison in the way it handles certain things. On the other hand, the B2 meshed better with my tube amp / Rebel because those details were more of a shine than the Photoshop Sharpness Enhancer Tool it was on the other.

But the B2 is a permanent fixture on my desk now and the Topping is in a drawer, so if we go by last man standing rules...

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #3,180 of 4,971
fwiw I thought the Topping e50 (which I think has been called a stripped down d90se?) held its own to the B2, but depends on the synergy with the rest of your system. With one (very detail oriented) amp I preferred the Topping because it's smoother and the Bifrost is a bit artificially bright by comparison in the way it handles certain things. On the other hand, the B2 meshed better with my tube amp / Rebel because those details were more of a shine than the Photoshop Sharpness Enhancer Tool it was on the other.

But the B2 is a permanent fixture on my desk now and the Topping is in a drawer, so if we go by last man standing rules...
I don’t know why but Schiit products always feels natural and you feel compelled to listen to them more.

I still have the magnius modius and love them both.

Thank you for your feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Back