Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 12, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #3,151 of 4,957
I'm looking to get this new bifrost 2/64 or a old bifrost 2 with the Analog Devices chip. Just have a quick question, would I be able to put the old Analog devices card in the new bifrost 2/64 if I wanted to?
Yes, you can

Aug 12, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #3,152 of 4,957
I'm looking to get this new bifrost 2/64 or a old bifrost 2 with the Analog Devices chip. Just have a quick question, would I be able to put the old Analog devices card in the new bifrost 2/64 if I wanted to?

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #3,155 of 4,957
Thanks for your update. Sorry that I didn't pick up on the fact that the Auricles were speakers while quickly reading your post. Name was unfamiliar to me. How ARE the Auricles? I'm always interested in a good sounding monitor speaker (especially mini-monitors for my smallish listening area.).
I love the Auricles, I think Jeff Bagby really dialed it in with this design - the 6.5" Satori and the RAAL integrate beautifully, pretty simple first and second order crossovers, and a simple, elegant design. Both drivers do what they do beautifully, the Satori is super musical with outstanding timbre, and the RAALs, well you either love them or not I guess, but to me they present music in a really natural and effortless way. Some people have compared them to the Salk Silks, which isn't surprising given the similarities and the fact that Mr. Salk and Mr. Bagby were friends and worked together I believe. It doesn't hurt that I maxed out the internals either :) Not cheap for a DIY 2 way, but it was worth it to me. With tubes and the Bifrost, jazz, vocals, guitar, even piano if the recording is good, sound as if the musicians are in the room, to (not) coin a phrase!

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #3,156 of 4,957
Is the Bifrost 2/64 version direct coupled like the Bifrost 2 was? The spec page for the Bifrost 2 mentioned it was "direct coupled throughout", while the spec page for the Bifrost 2/64 does not have such words.
Direct coupled in other Schiit products refers to the absence of capacitors in the signal path, resulting in a DC coupled output. I'm betting the 2/64 card is the same. It's almost a trademark. I suspect Jason just forgot to mention it. I'd like to know how their getting -134db crosstalk. Every other product is <70 or 90db.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #3,157 of 4,957
If I'm Not having any issues with 2/64 upgrade, should I just leave well enough alone and NOT install the latest FW ( Bifrost 2 C0094, D0109)?
I don't know the answer. I'm falling back on the old adage "if it's not broke, don't fix it".

Without an immediate need, I'm going to listen to the community's anecdotes regarding the new firmware.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #3,158 of 4,957
Is there a consensus on whether or not the new firmware has any effect on the sound of the OG BF2 when in the normal OS mode, not the new NOS mode?

Aug 12, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #3,160 of 4,957
I'm running the latest firmware on the OG Bifrost 2 and have not noticed any difference.
I didn’t expect there to be a difference, but I read one user’s opinion on another forum that said he noticed small improvements on his OG with the new firmware.

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #3,161 of 4,957
I didn’t expect there to be a difference, but I read one user’s opinion on another forum that said he noticed small improvements on his OG with the new firmware.
I did as well, but it does not appear to be related to the firmware update. I first tried to upgrade with a 2 GB card which of course failed due to the cluster size issue. When I restarted the DAC, I was surprised to hear the original (slightly better) audio quality. I tried NOS mode which didn't work. I then tried with the 256 GB card and the upgrade succeeded. The audio quality was the same as after the initial reset. I'm not sure if it was audionervosa, reseating all the cable connectors, or a software issue, but the "improvement" occurred after powering down the DAC, disconnecting the cables, and reconnecting the cables, but before successfully flashing the firmware.

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #3,162 of 4,957
yes

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #3,163 of 4,957
Jason said that the only change to the go was NOS mode

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #3,164 of 4,957
Is the general consensus that the Bifrost 2 with the NOS enabling firmware sounds the same when NOS is not enabled?

It's probably just my imagination, but I keep thinking that I'm hearing sharper treble. I have a Bifrost 2 that is updated to the very latest firmware.

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #3,165 of 4,957
I was curious to see whether the firmware update fixes the issues I had with WASAPI in event mode and hardware buffer lengths > 20 ms, but nothing appears to have changed on that front. Curious that one of the two firmware files increased 23% in size for this fix.

I also checked whether NOS mode can be toggled with a remote and it does not appear so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back