Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 11, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #3,137 of 4,971
Argh, I should run some APx tests on the NOS. Short answer: NOS is NOS. Stairstep heaven. Please use the upsampler of your choice, or enjoy real NOS, no interpolation, no reconstruction, no brickwall analog filter.
Really cool to see a true NOS DAC at this pricepoint!
(There are some others like the Ares 2 and Musician Pegasus that advertise NOS but don't actually do NOS, though they're good sounding DACs.)

Thank you for constantly putting out unique and exciting products. I always get excited when I see a new update from you guys!

Now I need to see about getting a BF2!

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #3,138 of 4,971
(There are some others like the Ares 2 and Musician Pegasus that advertise NOS but don't actually do NOS, though they're good sounding DACs.)

Thank you for constantly putting out unique and exciting products. I always get excited when I see a new update from you guys!

Would love to see your measurements! Truly curious of the output of the NOS on the AP analyzer and how NOS mode sounds on your system

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #3,139 of 4,971

I’m honestly surprised you didn’t keep the BF2 when you reviewed it. Seemed like you truly enjoyed it. Your take on it was one that made me take the plunge and grab one from Schiit.

Hope you get a taste of it again! After more than a year of using the BF2 as my primary DAC, I still haven’t gotten sick of it. And the upgraded card made me fall in love all over again.

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #3,140 of 4,971

Will you make a video about Yggdrasil Less is more?

I really enjoyed the one about bifrost 2

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #3,141 of 4,971
Just had wonderful 1hr of music with Mercury Streamer -> Bifrost2 -> Bottlehead Mainline -> ZMF VC
One of the Best DAC at this price point.

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #3,142 of 4,971
Tried the new Bifrost 2/64 upgrade card and sadly I will be returning it. The original Bifrost 2 is just too perfect, and I appreciate it a lot more now. Schiit swapped out the AD chips for Texas Instrument chips and for me it's a downgrade. If you love the Bifrost 2 and are considering the new upgrade, be prepared for a completely different sound. What it gains in soundstage width, treble/air extension, and detail it loses in its magic and its musical character. The original I would characterize as smooth, lifelike, warm, fun, punchy, dynamic-sounding yet also relaxing. The 2/64 trades away that warmth and that smooth lifelike sound for an increase in grainy detail that is grating to my ears and more digital sounding than I am used to hearing in a Schiit DAC. It also trades away the perfectly calibrated dynamics of the original in favor of a wider soundstage that just makes everything sound stretched and further away with less full-bodiness. I will say that the 2/64 does sound better for orchestral tracks, which is the one genre that the Bifrost 2 never excelled in. But for nearly everything else, I prefer the OG.

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #3,143 of 4,971
Tried the new Bifrost 2/64 upgrade card and sadly I will be returning it. The original Bifrost 2 is just too perfect, and I appreciate it a lot more now. Schiit swapped out the AD chips for Texas Instrument chips and for me it's a downgrade. If you love the Bifrost 2 and are considering the new upgrade, be prepared for a completely different sound. What it gains in soundstage width, treble/air extension, and detail it loses in its magic and its musical character. The original I would characterize as smooth, lifelike, warm, fun, punchy, dynamic-sounding yet also relaxing. The 2/64 trades away that warmth and that smooth lifelike sound for an increase in grainy detail that is grating to my ears and more digital sounding than I am used to hearing in a Schiit DAC. It also trades away the perfectly calibrated dynamics of the original in favor of a wider soundstage that just makes everything sound stretched and further away with less full-bodiness. I will say that the 2/64 does sound better for orchestral tracks, which is the one genre that the Bifrost 2 never excelled in. But for nearly everything else, I prefer the OG.
How long did you have it in the system. Give it 4-5 days and you won’t look back.
I have heard new one with ZMF cans and with ZMF this new card has better synergy
Finally it all comes down to chain that we have and music we listen to

Aug 12, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #3,144 of 4,971
Any update on a Yggdrasil LIM/Gungnir MB/BF2/64 blind test?

Aug 12, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #3,145 of 4,971
Regarding Bifrost 2/64 and the sample rate glitches noted in some systems: we have new firmware to address it.

https://www.schiit.com/firmware

If you purchased a Bifrost 2/64 or Bifrost 2/64 upgrade and need an SDcard with the firmware on it, let us know and we'll get it out to you.
Fantastic news for the early adopters, less fantastic news for my wallet…

Aug 12, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #3,146 of 4,971
Would love to see your measurements! Truly curious of the output of the NOS on the AP analyzer and how NOS mode sounds on your system
Im curious about it too.
NOS often measures a bit worse than oversampling (and has some behaviour like aliasing and rolloff which is technically incorrect) but a lot of people really like the sound.

Im a fan of NOS and use it about 40-50% of the time in my main system.
I’m honestly surprised you didn’t keep the BF2 when you reviewed it. Seemed like you truly enjoyed it. Your take on it was one that made me take the plunge and grab one from Schiit.

Hope you get a taste of it again! After more than a year of using the BF2 as my primary DAC, I still haven’t gotten sick of it. And the upgraded card made me fall in love all over again.
The BF2 was loaned to me by a friend so didn't have the opportunity to keep/buy it unfortunately.

It is a great DAC though and I would like to buy one myself at somepoint
Will you make a video about Yggdrasil Less is more?

I really enjoyed the one about bifrost 2
Yep! Just waiting for boards at the moment (supply issues are a limitation) but I have an MIL here and have had an OG A2 in the past.
Will be doing a video talking about all three :)

Not sure what LIM will be like but I loved OG

Aug 12, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #3,147 of 4,971
Glad you enjoy the original. It's cool that you were able to try the 2/64 board, decide for yourself whether or not it was great, and if it wasn't to your liking, being able to return to Schiit. Great company for sure!

Leo

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #3,148 of 4,971
Actually most of my listening is through my speakers, which I called out in the post, and I really love them, a true labor of audiophool down-the-rabbit-hole love I built a year ago.
I took the day off today, and put another 8 hours on the new board. 7 or so earlier, then left and came back. If things keep going the way they have been today, I may have to put my tail between my legs and retract some of what I said, in degree at least. The glare seems to have receded, but most of all what I'm hearing now is the DETAIL and the timbre, which is all of what the BF2 had. It seems to be settling in. Listening to Anouar Brahem right now and man it sounds crushing. Of course there's neural burn-in too.......
I don't care what people say about "aural memory", mostly at this point (while still probably more or less true) it's just another internet trope barfed around so we sound smart. I'll bet there are a lot of people around here who may or may not hear like a 15 year old, but LISTEN skillfully.
Oh, and as you suggest, I have always left my BF on, 24/7, unless I'm working under the hood!
Thanks for your update. Sorry that I didn't pick up on the fact that the Auricles were speakers while quickly reading your post. Name was unfamiliar to me. How ARE the Auricles? I'm always interested in a good sounding monitor speaker (especially mini-monitors for my smallish listening area.).

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #3,149 of 4,971
Not really. I think it's just that woth a 2GB card, the 32K cluster size doesn't work so well. 4GB and up should be good.
Yep. I had a 2 GB that didn't work, so I got a 256 GB. That is overkill but works fine. Given Schiit's history of not releasing firmware updates very often I'll reuse this card for another project. It's nice to know that the Bifrost works with larger cards as well.

Aug 12, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #3,150 of 4,971
I'm looking to get this new bifrost 2/64 or a old bifrost 2 with the Analog Devices chip. Just have a quick question, would I be able to put the old Analog devices card in the new bifrost 2/64 if I wanted to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back