Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 9, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #3,061 of 4,971
I've had my 2/64 card for almost a week. No issues at all. I'm listening to Roon on my Mac out to the BF2/64. Last night I used the Roon app to stream live radio. Listened first to a Flac 44/16 stream and then switched stations and was listening to 256 Kbs. Kept flipping back and forth. Heard the delay kick in and then perfect reproduction. No distortions at all.

Leo

Aug 9, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #3,062 of 4,971
The issue is the analog card, it's not system or program dependant. Some more testing—

To confirm that it isn't my music player, I tested the problem using shared mode. I set my Bifrost to 24/48 in Windows device settings and played a Youtube video in Chrome. It sounded fine. I then went back to the settings and changed it to 24/96, heard the relay click, and then opened up the Youtube video again. Distorted.

To confirm that it isn't my desktop PC, I pulled out my Lenovo Thinkpad (still Win 10) and plugged my Bifrost into that. Same testing, switching between 48khz and 96khz in device settings. Same result. 48khz sounds fine, 96khz is distorted.

Again, none of this occurred using the previous analog card under the exact same conditions.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #3,063 of 4,971
The issue is the analog card, it's not system or program dependant. Some more testing—

To confirm that it isn't my music player, I tested the problem using shared mode. I set my Bifrost to 24/48 in Windows device settings and played a Youtube video in Chrome. It sounded fine. I then went back to the settings and changed it to 24/96, heard the relay click, and then opened up the Youtube video again. Distorted.

To confirm that it isn't my desktop PC, I pulled out my Lenovo Thinkpad (still Win 10) and plugged my Bifrost into that. Same testing, switching between 48khz and 96khz in device settings. Same result. 48khz sounds fine, 96khz is distorted.

Again, none of this occurred using the previous analog card under the exact same conditions.
I agree. It’s not system dependent. I always use Mac mini with Audirvāna. Never had any problem using original bifrost 2 for 2 years until now. I tested the new card using a windows pc via foobar same distortion happened from 16/44 to 24/96 :frowning2:

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #3,064 of 4,971
The issue is the analog card
There are at least 2 reports now of the issue going away when using an input other than usb with the new card. Being that even the DAC itself can be considered a complex system in its own right, I wonder if it's more about the combination of the new card and other components, such as the usb card.

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #3,065 of 4,971
I agree. It’s not system dependent. I always use Mac mini with Audirvāna. Never had any problem using original bifrost 2 for 2 years until now. I tested the new card using a windows pc via foobar same distortion happened from 16/44 to 24/96 :frowning2:
Can you play with the WASAPI buffer settings in foobar2000 to see whether there's a setting that fixes it? Note that to fix my problems with WASAPI event mode I had to reduce the buffer to 20 ms, not increase it as one might expect.

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #3,066 of 4,971
So, what do you do to eliminate the distortion? Reboot dac? PC? Close program and reopen?

Aug 9, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #3,067 of 4,971
Can you play with the WASAPI buffer settings in foobar2000 to see whether there's a setting that fixes it? Note that to fix my problems with WASAPI event mode I had to reduce the buffer to 20 ms, not increase it as one might expect.
I just tried both increasing and decreasing. Sometimes it worked. But I couldn’t make it work all the times, some other times made the distortion even worse.

So, what do you do to eliminate the distortion? Reboot dac? PC? Close program and reopen?

Actually it’s pretty simple. Just change the input selection on the bifrost and go back. That’s it. But I think that’s just a terrible solution for a 300 bucks upgrade card.

Aug 9, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #3,068 of 4,971
I did the FW update using the old card only. I tested NOS mode with the new card, to insure the FW updated. No issues on a home-built Athalon 7 Win 10 computer. Amazon unlimited mostly, although I have ~2,500 ripped CD's I use with Foobar. 6M USB input, using both phones and powered speakers.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #3,069 of 4,971

My output (win10) is set to 24 bit, 192,000 Hz. No problems.

I don't have "exclusive mode" selected, as I use Peace EQ.

Aug 9, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #3,070 of 4,971
There are at least 2 reports now of the issue going away when using an input other than usb with the new card. Being that even the DAC itself can be considered a complex system in its own right, I wonder if it's more about the combination of the new card and other components, such as the usb card.
I use USB with no issues.

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #3,072 of 4,971
Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #3,074 of 4,971
Yup, I just tested it too. I am typically listening to 48khz out of Foobar2000 exclusive mode. I have a few 24bit/96khz files, so I tried playing one of those. I hear the unit click to indicate the sample rate change (as was normal before), and then the sound gets tizzy and distorted. It doesn't sound right. When I switch back to 48khz, it seems to fix itself (?)* Hmph, that's disappointing.

*(?) because it's actually hard to tell if it goes back to how it should. It's hard to tell.
Edit: I feel like it doesn't sound correct again until I cycle power off/on via the rear switch.
I'm curious. I've never heard a "clicking" sound (that I've noticed) when switching between sampling rates with the Bifrost. Not the original card, or the new 64 card.

Can you point me to some music that will exhibit this trait?

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #3,075 of 4,971
I'm curious. I've never heard a "clicking" sound (that I've noticed) when switching between sampling rates with the Bifrost. Not the original card, or the new 64 card.

Can you point me to some music that will exhibit this trait?
Make sure your audio device is in exclusive mode. If it is not, your OS might be resampling it so the Bifrost is staying at the same sample rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back