Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Mar 23, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #1,786 of 4,957
Somebody get a rope. :unamused:

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #1,789 of 4,957
People who have ordered and received a Bifrost recently, is the 7-10 day shipping time accurate? How long did yours take to ship?

Thanks.

Mine took four days earlier this month. Best I can tell, they drove it across the country, switching trucks seven times. Worth the wait, though.

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 7.31.53 PM.png

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #1,791 of 4,957
Absolutely nothing wrong with A/B ing music.

Anyone have any tips on how I can double blind A/B test when by myself? I've heard that double blind is the only valid method and the wife won't help. 😒

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #1,792 of 4,957
Right after I got my first real-ish job in the mid 90s, I bought a stereo. The NAD 705 was pretty much the best receiver worth getting before jumping up to separates (the entry level Adcom components were nearly the same price each). The 705 was about $450, about the same as the Bifrost 2 in today's dollars.

I guess I never graduated from mid fi. The Bifrost 2 is the most I've ever spent on a single component. A very worthy upgrade over the Modi Multibit. Totally renewed my enthusiasm for listening.

I like the DAC-heavy allocation to my system. I figure the cost is shared between two chains, monitors and headphones. I considered a pairing with Jotunheim 2, but opted to stick with the MCTH and feed the Tannoy 802s directly from the DAC (well, via a balanced passive volume control). I'm confident I'm getting the most out of the downstream components, but I don't think the DAC outclasses either chain.

Oddly hard to find a good balanced passive volume control. I got a Palmer Monicon, which I like a lot. Real solid. Turns out I must have had a ground loop problem, because switching to balanced cables stopped humming in one of my monitors.

After a lifetime of horizontal investments (home theater, Bluesound speakers around the house, several desktop sidegrades), the Bifrost 2 might be the most significant upgrade I've made.

I figure you don't need another take on the sound. Suffice to say it does nothing wrong, and that I attribute most artifacts and anomalies to my downstream gear. Really happy with this thing.

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #1,793 of 4,957
Tell me, do you actually listen to music or just A/B music. :expressionless:
I've been refining headphone system #1 and putting together headphone system #2. I want to make sure synergy is on point and have them both exactly where I want them to be. Gotta put in the work. Thankfully the "work" just involves listening to headphones 🙂.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #1,794 of 4,957
One question if I may: Does anyone set bitrate to 16/44.1 for the super mega burrito spicy sauce to work or it is always enabled no matter the bits and bitrate?

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #1,795 of 4,957
Always in play. BF2 oversamples (8x) and uses MCB at all input bitrates, unlike BF MB v1 and Modi Multibit which did not oversample at 192KHz (4x only) and was essentially a NOS DAC at that bitrate.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #1,796 of 4,957
Absolutely nothing wrong with A/B ing music.

Anyone have any tips on how I can double blind A/B test when by myself? I've heard that double blind is the only valid method and the wife won't help. 😒
Use some switcher like Sys and change the input using knob multiple time and its a matter of time before you forget which is which and then take notes.

Mar 24, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,797 of 4,957
So then if I REALLY like one how do I know which one I liked. :D

(JK -- I can look around back and see which is connected where.)

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #1,798 of 4,957
One question if I may: Does anyone set bitrate to 16/44.1 for the super mega burrito spicy sauce to work or it is always enabled no matter the bits and bitrate?

Thanks!

I always use WASAPI exclusive to keep the bits and sample rate bit-perfect. The more Hi-res the sample, the less of the burrito filter is being used, but everything PCM will be oversampled to either 352.8 KHz or 384 KHz in the SHARC DSP chip before going to the AD5781ARUZ DAC chip.

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #1,799 of 4,957
I always use WASAPI exclusive to keep the bits and sample rate bit-perfect. The more Hi-res the sample, the less of the burrito filter is being used, but everything PCM will be oversampled to either 352.8 KHz or 384 KHz in the SHARC DSP chip before going to the AD5781ARUZ DAC chip.
I use ASIO for bit-perfect and WASAPI shared for when I want EQ, I guess it is the same ASIO and WASAPI Exclusive (event) as long as it is bit-perfect right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back