Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Nov 2, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #1,366 of 4,957
Just got the Asgard 3 and the Modius. So im within my 15 day testing. Im in the UK and now looking at maybe i should of gone for the Bifrost 2. Anybody got the Modius and Bifrost 2 to do any comparisons if its worth the £500 more thanks

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #1,367 of 4,957
Just got the Asgard 3 and the Modius. So im within my 15 day testing. Im in the UK and now looking at maybe i should of gone for the Bifrost 2. Anybody got the Modius and Bifrost 2 to do any comparisons if its worth the £500 more thanks
I've been well pleased with my Modius feeding my Asgard 3/Lyr 3.

I too am intrigued with multibit. I'm thinking more Gungnir than Bifrost, but whatever I choose, I'll buy 2nd hand.

Returning my Modius (new from Schiit) here in the States would include a 15% restock fee, and shipping. $30 (restock) + $20 (return shipping/insurance) +the $20 I payed to have Schiit send the unit to me (not refundable). I'd loose 35% returning the Modius.

A higher dollar unit makes sense to return if one isn't happy.

The Modius is a great DAC. It's better after 3 weeks, but a good sound from the beginning. I suggest If you're not happy after break-in, sell locally, and purchase what's next.

Edit:

Schiit will waive the restock fee on a higher level model. You'd only be out initial shipping and return shipping.

I won't change my suggestion to sell locally. I'd give the Modius a full 3 weeks, and longer. Listen to your music. Don't think about upgrades.

If, after 90 days, you're not happy, sell the Modius locally (for little loss), and purchase what you will.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #1,370 of 4,957
The Bifrost 2 + Liquid Platinum is my current combo as well. Great synergy and my endgame for now. I think I'd have to spend twice as much or more to get any real improvement, and even then you're heavily into the law of diminishing returns at this level.

As someone who's had a Yggy GS with Liquid Platinum - you definingly really get into diminishing returns. I would have had to spend another $800 for the Analog 2 upgrade to get a 10-20% increase in detail and impact.

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #1,371 of 4,957
would the liquid carbon x from drop be good with this. might pick it up for cheap, the other two main amps i use are the jot and asgard 3

thx
I'd recommend the LP, especially at current price.

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #1,373 of 4,957
Our Bifrost 2 review was posted today. Feel free to ask @Mightygrey about it!
Great overview of both DACs! Although, this would have been a little more useful to me a few weeks ago before I made my final decision between the 2... :wink:

One thing it did remind me of, and one reason I was keen on the Bifrost, is future upgradability, in both hardware and firmware. I'm wondering what kinds of updates we can expect for the BF2?

There were firmware-related issues reported in this thread just after launch, and having the firmware update feature seems like it helped a lot to address these. What functionality could be changed in future firmware updates?

As far as hardware, Schiit seem to have delivered the goods with Unison USB already. What new cards could they come up with for upgrades?

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #1,377 of 4,957
New Bifrost User arrived :)
I start with a question.
In specifications, Schiit say: Input Capability: up to 24/192 for all inputs.
When i listen from my Raspberry PI4 with Volumio, 24/192 works fine, but when i listen from my Windows PC over optical Cable, with Qobouz App, 24/192 don't work!
I have to reduce it to 24/192, when everything is well.

Somebody here with same problem, or maybe can proof it for me?
On the other side, i'm fine with 24/96, but if BF2 should work with higher input, i except he should do.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #1,378 of 4,957
New Bifrost User arrived :)
I start with a question.
In specifications, Schiit say: Input Capability: up to 24/192 for all inputs.
When i listen from my Raspberry PI4 with Volumio, 24/192 works fine, but when i listen from my Windows PC over optical Cable, with Qobouz App, 24/192 don't work!
I have to reduce it to 24/192, when everything is well.

Somebody here with same problem, or maybe can proof it for me?
On the other side, i'm fine with 24/96, but if BF2 should work with higher input, i except he should do.

I believe optical is spotty at 192. I don't know the actual specs but there is a limit there.

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #1,380 of 4,957
Correct. Try a different cable. There could also be something funny with the timing coming from the PC. Try it with Qobuz as the only open app and see if anything is different.
That's what i did!
The AudioQuest Carbon Toslink cable, for 129€ don't work, the AmazonBasic cable for 10€ works fine!
Unbelievable.

IMG_1173.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back