Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
May 8, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #946 of 4,953
If you haven’t heard Multibit DAC or NOS DAC you are in for a surprise. You will notice major change in tonality and Timbre out of box.
Bifrost2 is a major upgrade from SMSL SU-8, mark my words. It’s worth the upgrade just for the tonality and timber that you will get out of it.
If you are someone who like little warm sound with very natural vocals then go for it.

PS: I was not at all aware that we can take digital out of Sony ZX300, can we?

Thanks for the reply! It does sound interesting.

Yes, on the line out, but you have to buy a cable from Japan. I bought it through amazon.com or amazon.ca

May 12, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #947 of 4,953
Searched this thread but still got some firmware update questions as I formatted the card corrrectly but when I put it in the Bifrost starts normally instead of flashing the lights for a longer period like in the video. I have an 8GB card though, not sure if that's a problem?

- if your unit already has the newest firmware then does it write over the firmware again or does it start normally?
- do you insert the card with the copper contacts facing up or down? I managed to insert it both ways and hope I didn't damage the slot.
- I read here you have to push the card all the way in but I can't get it more than halfway in no matter what side is up.
- is there any way to check in Windows what firmware you have?

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #948 of 4,953
If you haven’t heard Multibit DAC or NOS DAC you are in for a surprise. You will notice major change in tonality and Timbre out of box.
Bifrost2 is a major upgrade from SMSL SU-8, mark my words. It’s worth the upgrade just for the tonality and timber that you will get out of it.
Even a Mimby is a major upgrade over the SU-8.

I owned both together. Sold the SU-8, kept the Mimby. :wink:

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #949 of 4,953
Searched this thread but still got some firmware update questions as I formatted the card corrrectly but when I put it in the Bifrost starts normally instead of flashing the lights for a longer period like in the video. I have an 8GB card though, not sure if that's a problem?

- if your unit already has the newest firmware then does it write over the firmware again or does it start normally?
- do you insert the card with the copper contacts facing up or down? I managed to insert it both ways and hope I didn't damage the slot.
- I read here you have to push the card all the way in but I can't get it more than halfway in no matter what side is up.
- is there any way to check in Windows what firmware you have?

I got my update card from Schiit, and it is an 8GB SanDisk MicroSD HC I. Copper contacts down IIRC. It was a bit fiddly to get it inserted properly, and the update only starts when the card is fully inserted.

May 12, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #950 of 4,953
I got my update card from Schiit, and it is an 8GB SanDisk MicroSD HC I. Copper contacts down IIRC. It was a bit fiddly to get it inserted properly, and the update only starts when the card is fully inserted.

I managed to get the card in contacts down and contacts up, looks and feels the same but thanks for letting me know it's contacts down.
Weird it can go in both ways since it has a pretty explicit notch.

Do you mean the card has to go all the way into the amp so only 1mm or so sticks out?
I push as hard as I can but it only gets halfway in (half of the card that is), I' think I'd need a hammer to get it in more.
Or the thing is damaged from pushing it halfway in upside-down.
I contacted support.

No update is starting but maybe I already have the latest firmware and then the update doesn't start?

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #951 of 4,953
Any kind soul willing to let me borrow their Bifrost 2 or Gungnir multibit for a big DAC shootout review? Currently comparing the ARES II, ADI-2, Chord Qutest, and probably a Denafrips Pontus. Wanted to get Multibit in the mix.

I'll buy you a beer, or a nice scotch :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #955 of 4,953
May 16, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #956 of 4,953
I managed to get the card in contacts down and contacts up, looks and feels the same but thanks for letting me know it's contacts down.
Weird it can go in both ways since it has a pretty explicit notch.

Do you mean the card has to go all the way into the amp so only 1mm or so sticks out?
I push as hard as I can but it only gets halfway in (half of the card that is), I' think I'd need a hammer to get it in more.
Or the thing is damaged from pushing it halfway in upside-down.
I contacted support.

No update is starting but maybe I already have the latest firmware and then the update doesn't start?

As far as I recall there was more than 1 mm sticking out also when it was fully inserted, but it was a while ago, so I’m not sure how much it was.

It would be great if the video of the blinkenlights updating Bifrost could be amended with some footage of the back of the Bifrost with the SD-card inserted in the slot.

May 16, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #957 of 4,953
As far as I recall there was more than 1 mm sticking out also when it was fully inserted, but it was a while ago, so I’m not sure how much it was.

It would be great if the video of the blinkenlights updating Bifrost could be amended with some footage of the back of the Bifrost with the SD-card inserted in the slot.
Try using a flashlight and seeing if you can see the contacts.

May 18, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #958 of 4,953
Yes, if I look at the pictures of the innards there's no way a whole card can go in, only about half of it.

Try using a flashlight and seeing if you can see the contacts.
I did try that but it's hard to see.

I contacted Schiit and they think the card sticks out a bit, contacts of the card should be facing down, inserting upside down does no damage and if you already have the latest firmware it probably doesn't get overwritten but reboots normally.

May 19, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #959 of 4,953
Has anyone had a chance to compare the BF2 to the Denafrips Ares?

I have both Ares II and BF2. IMHO, BF2 sounds better: better staging, easy on the ears, and at the same time very detailed.
I have not spent more time comparing the two since my initial comparison, my Ares II will definitely go for sale soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back