Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Mar 5, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #721 of 4,971
BumP to this question :)

I’m always hesitant to answer these types of recommendation questions, but I used to have a Bifrost MB with Gen 5 USB and now have a Bifrost 2 that I’ve owned for about 1 month.
Since you’ve already installed Unison, I don’t think I would really feel the need to upgrade unless you need the balanced output and/or remote control.
That’s just my opinion, I’m sure there are those who would advocate for the upgrade.

If you do upgrade, hurry up and do it soon to take advantage of the $100 discount

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #722 of 4,971
I’m always hesitant to answer these types of recommendation questions, but I used to have a Bifrost MB with Gen 5 USB and now have a Bifrost 2 that I’ve owned for about 1 month.
Since you’ve already installed Unison, I don’t think I would really feel the need to upgrade unless you need the balanced output and/or remote control.
That’s just my opinion, I’m sure there are those who would advocate for the upgrade.

If you do upgrade, hurry up and do it soon to take advantage of the $100 discount

I've read somewhere that people had trouble listening to any differences between the Bifrost and Modi Multibit, but the difference was substantial once the Bifrost 2 came out. The upgrade may be well worth it really. I've never heard the original, but the second one is so good.

On a side note... what surprises me even more is the HD6XX I have. This thing scaling capability is insane. Every time I upgrade my gear I have the same feeling with these cans.

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #723 of 4,971
I've never heard the original, but the second one is so good.

Glad to hear that! It really is, isn't it? It's incredibly good. Fantastic tone and can't believe the resolution and gigantic soundstage. Most of my comments are from two-channel speaker listening but it sounds great with my tube headphone amp as well. It just crushes my previous DAC.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #724 of 4,971
Glad to hear that! It really is, isn't it? It's incredibly good. Fantastic tone and can't believe the resolution and gigantic soundstage. Most of my comments are from two-channel speaker listening but it sounds great with my tube headphone amp as well. It just crushes my previous DAC.

Yeah. I normally form a final opinion over a product only after a month of use, but this buddy here is looking promising. The stack has better synergy than with the Drop THX 789.

IMG_4855.jpg

Mar 5, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #725 of 4,971
I bought a Bifrost 2 about six weeks ago and I’m really happy with it so far. Going through this thread was very helpful in making the decision so I just wanted to say thanks to all. I was initially using it with a THX AAA 789 and HD 6XX which definitely sounds good but I just got a Liquid Platinum and I’m even happier with that combination. Excellent DAC.

Also @HumdrumPenguin ’s photo looked cool so I thought I’d share one too. :)

FB0148-E7-6-FF9-4-E80-BA72-2-A139-A578-A73.jpg

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #726 of 4,971
I bought a Bifrost 2 about six weeks ago and I’m really happy with it so far. Going through this thread was very helpful in making the decision so I just wanted to say thanks to all. I was initially using it with a THX AAA 789 and HD 6XX which definitely sounds good but I just got a Liquid Platinum and I’m even happier with that combination. Excellent DAC.

I don't like the sound of the HD6XX with the 789 (I also have one). It's kinda funny that you have exactly the same gear as me aside from the Liquid Platinum, which by another coincidence I've also been looking into for a while.

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #727 of 4,971
I don't like the sound of the HD6XX with the 789 (I also have one). It's kinda funny that you have exactly the same gear as me aside from the Liquid Platinum, which by another coincidence I've also been looking into for a while.

I was also very curious about the Lyr 3 but I’d been reading a lot of good things about the LP with Schiit Multibit DACs and since I’d gotten a balanced HD 6XX cable to use with the 789 I preferred going with a balanced tube hybrid.

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #729 of 4,971
Just thought I would share some quick... thoughts. I recently had the chance to compare the Bifrost 2 with the Topping D90, and it was interesting. Both were given some warmup time, and both were fed from my music server via USB. Both used balanced out to my SP200. There is plenty to recommend both of them. The Bifrost is the warmer of the two, but not unpleasantly so. It was't as warm as I was expecting, actually. The topping was a touch more neutral with a bit more sparkle up top. I also think it had the firmer bottom. It was close for me, but ultimately, I went with the Topping for the fact that most of the music I listen to is classical, and the D90 had a noticabley more airy and 3d soundstage. Even with rock music and closed heaadphones, you could hear the larger soundstage. If that wasn't the case, I might have gone with the Bifrost as the warranty and modular design are awesome.

Thanks for the comparison. Can you describe how natural and real are the timbre on D90 with the new AK4499 chip when listening to your classical music? Does it sound real enough? How close it is to the Bifrost 2? One thing that I don't like about the Sabre chip is the timbre sounds more digital or artificial to me.

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #730 of 4,971

Can i ask what's the model/brand of that tiny cute speaker?

Mar 6, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #731 of 4,971
You need the new firmware. It's available on the site at schiit.com/firmware

This is not related to capacitors. That was incorrect information.

Hi @Jason Stoddard - about two weeks in of receiving my Bifrost 2 - enjoying it so much, it even has me playing less vinyl! :D

I do have a question - Are there any utilities that can be used to check the FW version? or maybe even check the status of the device? ( I mean something like, when playing using TOSLink or Coax as source, would love to be able to go the my computer and thru USB query what is the sample rate and bit depth at the active inputs)

You have something like that? And follow up - if you decide to support inputs higher than 192/24 - would that be FW update or would the DAC have to be sent back?

Thnx!

v

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #732 of 4,971

I’ve had my Bifrost2 for half a year now, and I’m still amazed how good it sounds, especially the spaciousness, but also the clarity and separation.
Using it with Lyr3 and HD6XX headphones. :L3000:

Mar 6, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #734 of 4,971

Nice combo!

Mar 6, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #735 of 4,971
Could someone with a black Bifrost 2 please confirm that the black model comes with a silver remote controller, and not a black one? My unit didn’t come with a controller, and I requested one in black from Schiit, but I received it in silver. I just wanted to know for sure if silver is the only option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back