Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jan 21, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #496 of 4,957
As a BF2 owner, I'm glad that BF2 has met and possibly exceeded your expectations. As a former Ananda owner (loved it, but I've moved up to Arya), I'm sorry it was not your cup of tea.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #497 of 4,957
Np, The Anandas were ok, but they were too big for my head, and I have a big head, felt like they were too loose and the overall sound quality was just too thin and brittle for me...like towards the Beyer treble.

The Focal Clears have really spoilt me in the "tone" they have...just so realistic...

I hope to in the next few weeks to review a set of Arya's they might be more to my liking...

Just goes to show we all hear things a bit differently and all is good!

Alex

Note: we have alot on commom! Vahalla2, AthM50's and the B2.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #499 of 4,957
Golly gee does this thing allow for things to really open up!

Diane Krall never sounded so good!!

ha!

sounds like you’re in for a long sleepless night :)

Jan 21, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #500 of 4,957
Np, The Anandas were ok, but they were too big for my head, and I have a big head, felt like they were too loose and the overall sound quality was just too thin and brittle for me...like towards the Beyer treble.

The Focal Clears have really spoilt me in the "tone" they have...just so realistic...

I hope to in the next few weeks to review a set of Arya's they might be more to my liking...

Just goes to show we all hear things a bit differently and all is good!

Alex

Note: we have alot on commom! Vahalla2, AthM50's and the B2.

I'm right there with you on Ananda fit. If it weren't for Dekoni nuggets, they would have sat on my lower jaw bone. And they felt loose. Arya fit is much better. Ananda vs Arya differences will likely be like BF1 vs BF2. I was pretty shocked at the diff.

As far as gear goes - great minds think alike! :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #501 of 4,957
Ordered the Bifrost 2 in black to match my Asgard 3. After owning the multibit module on the Asgard 3 I realized I wanted to scale up to a nicer multibit dac. Also ordered a STAX SRM-353X for my Kaldas RR 1 Conquest, really looking forward to finally listening to the headphone. Hoping the Bifrost 2 brings things to another level with my current headphones, especially the Beyer DT 480 and Beyer T1.2. Maybe the HD 6XX will finally come to life as well.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #502 of 4,957
Hey guys I'm still blown away by my BF2 but now I need some recommendations for some new over the ear HPs. I prefer something on the more warmer darker side, something with a lot of slam, and very good bass. Something that sounds really good with Rap/EDM/Rock. Budget under 600, Thanks in advance!

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #503 of 4,957
This is my experience as well, for me vs the multibit card. As well as other things like, wow, I never notived how that guitar string faded out for so long after being struck :L3000:

So am I, but yes, I think it is.
This goes for great amps, as well.

Certainly. I feel that I have learned quite a lot over the 5+ years (I know, next to nothing compared to others here) that I’ve been at it. Still learning a lot. Now I’m even messing with tubes (and loving it :D)

I just love the Bifrost2+Lyr3+HD6XX combo here. Would be interesting to try it with the HD800S of course, but that will be farther ahead in the future when I can get them.. I have the HD660S on that list, as well. :)

Having done a lot of side-grades or minor upgrades over the years, I find that the old adage "the poor man pays twice" applies to audio. I recommend skipping the HD660S and saving up for the HD800 series, and buying the second-to-the-newest model at that time. TOTL newest model always goes for a premium price, and the older model it "replaces" is often better bang for the buck

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #506 of 4,957
Having done a lot of side-grades or minor upgrades over the years, I find that the old adage "the poor man pays twice" applies to audio. I recommend skipping the HD660S and saving up for the HD800 series, and buying the second-to-the-newest model at that time. TOTL newest model always goes for a premium price, and the older model it "replaces" is often better bang for the buck

I think sonically everyone has a preference. I own the HD800 and I think it's a great set of headphones if you like that type of output. I would listen to my pair of modified HD800 when I'm in the mood for clarity, fake exaggerated large soundstage and hyper detail. Those pair of headphones do not present realism or holographic imaging like my cheap pair of Hifiman HE560 or the older and just as affordable Edition X v2. I even find the new Hifiman Ananda has lost the organic holographic sound signature as it presents more of a crisp clarity digital sound unless you feed it vacuum tubes.

Do I enjoy my HD800? yes!! I will admit I'd be very disappointed if I only owned the HD800. I also would struggle with a single DAC as I feel many have different sound signature's that work better with certain types of genre's of music.

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #507 of 4,957
Thats an interesting take on the HD 800's....thats why I like the Focal Clears so much they done have an exaggerated soundstage with the B2 they now are allowed to be really an exceptional headphone. As far as struggling with a single dac, well at my age I have been there done that!! :>)

Seriously the B2 is really very, very competant!

Alex

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #508 of 4,957
Second day of listening to my Bifrost 2 / Asgard 3 combo, and many audiophile buzzwords are taking place between my ears.

A few observations:

• I no longer need the ifi Defender 3.0 to get rid of the ground loop that used to plague the Asgard 3's internal Multibit card. Interestingly, the ifi Defender 3.0 also made it hard for Windows 10 to recognize the Bifrost 2.
  • Based on feedback in this and other threads, I was expecting Bifrost 2 to be noticeably louder (i.e. higher gain) than the Multibit card. I did not perceive that at all; if anything, I find myself turning the volume knob higher—but that might as well be due to the fact that I really like what I hear.
  • Noise floor is much lower on the Bifrost 2, as is to be expected when comparing 18 bits to 16.
  • I can't stress enough how glad I am that Schiit are now selling their gear in black. The black Bifrost 2 / Asgard 3 stack looks really good (linking the picture cause it is pretty big.)
  • I'm also enjoying the looks of the PYST RCA cables more than I thought I would.
In terms of how it sounds, well ... I'm just not very good at putting what I hear into words. I'm also reticent to use most of the aforementioned audiophile buzzwords (I actually go a little cross-eyed whenever I read the word "plankton" referred to how something sounds), and I'm not used to pay much attention to stuff most audiophiles die for, like imaging and sound stage. Here's an awkward attempt at putting together something that approximates coherence:

• Sound is very detailed and—I loathe to use the expression—textured.
  • I can more easily place instruments and vocals in space.
  • I think sound stage is slightly wider/deeper, but with closed-back headphones there's only so much that can be done there. Also I'm not used to pay much attention to it.
  • Bass sounds really, really good. It's very easy to follow bass lines and it's very engaging.
  • Albums recorded on Mike's GAIN system (which is the ADC equivalent of his True Multibit DACs) have a very analog touch to them when played back through the Bifrost 2 / Asgard 3 combo. Very, very pleasant. Like, very.
All this verbose semi-nonesense to say that I'm really happy with the Bifrost 2 :D

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #509 of 4,957
I'm right there with you on Ananda fit. If it weren't for Dekoni nuggets, they would have sat on my lower jaw bone. And they felt loose. Arya fit is much better. Ananda vs Arya differences will likely be like BF1 vs BF2. I was pretty shocked at the diff.

As far as gear goes - great minds think alike! :wink:

Dekoni Nuggets are one of the most important audio innovations in years!

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #510 of 4,957
ev666il!

I can tell you really like this dac!!!

I do as well, and I can tell in your responses that you want to share this good experience with us folks!!

Sort of birds of a feather....

Sometimes after I get a new toy....I am listening and a tune comes up in my random rotations I havent heard in awhile or its a familiar tune that just sounds soooo good....and you start smiling and wonder if anyone out there is experiencing the same thing...

The answer here is yes!! Yes indeed....as you said "very, very....pleasant...

:>)

Alex

Note: I am having one of those experiences right now!!!! ha!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back