Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Oct 2, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #3,586 of 4,957
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #3,587 of 4,957
Oct 2, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #3,589 of 4,957
Yea, there's some color differences (silver) in my units. So what? They're aluminium covers.
You are obviously not an audiophile. You are not OCD enough. :smiley:

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #3,590 of 4,957
I just took delivery of a Cayin HA-3A to power my ZMF Verite Closed and I am on the hunt for a DAC. I was initially looking at the Bifrost 2/64 but it seems impossible to get in the UK without having the faff of shipping directly from the USA and dealing with customs.

I was looking at a more local option and was wondering if anyone has compared the Bifrost 2/64 to the Soekris DAC2541? I was thinking of the Musician Pegasus but you can't use both the XLR and RCA outputs at the same time which is a deal breaker for me as I will run XLR to the HA-3A and RCA to my speaker amp.

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #3,591 of 4,957
I just took delivery of a Cayin HA-3A to power my ZMF Verite Closed and I am on the hunt for a DAC. I was initially looking at the Bifrost 2/64 but it seems impossible to get in the UK without having the faff of shipping directly from the USA and dealing with customs.

I was looking at a more local option and was wondering if anyone has compared the Bifrost 2/64 to the Soekris DAC2541? I was thinking of the Musician Pegasus but you can't use both the XLR and RCA outputs at the same time which is a deal breaker for me as I will run XLR to the HA-3A and RCA to my speaker amp.
If you ever do want to try a Bifrost 2 OG I have one for sale shortly, I will happily pass it on for what it cost me… PM should you fancy a punt! 😊

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #3,592 of 4,957
I was expecting Unison to improve the Pi USB as that's what I presume it is for, but it seems the Pi4 USB is quite fine enough anyway.

FWIW, I find the rpi4 USB pretty lacking. I've tried this exact same combo: BF2 with rpi4 over USB, and much preferred the USB from my DIY music server, which has a decent gaming motherboard.

My understanding is, Unison will take a decent USB port and make it sound pretty darn good, but won't take one that's lacking and make it sound good.

Interestingly, I think Mike Moffat is pretty into classical and has certain pieces that are kind of a measuring stick for how a DAC (including his own) is performing.

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #3,593 of 4,957
FWIW, I find the rpi4 USB pretty lacking. I've tried this exact same combo: BF2 with rpi4 over USB, and much preferred the USB from my DIY music server, which has a decent gaming motherboard.

My understanding is, Unison will take a decent USB port and make it sound pretty darn good, but won't take one that's lacking and make it sound good.

Interestingly, I think Mike Moffat is pretty into classical and has certain pieces that are kind of a measuring stick for how a DAC (including his own) is performing.
Interesting.. myself don’t listen enough to it.
Like any other DAC, audio piece’s
a lot of it is up to taste-as well as your system.
If you can afford it, it’s nice to have a few different Dac’s you like for a change of pace.

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #3,594 of 4,957
Well, I think if you have highly resolving speakers- classical sounds more then good.
(I listen to all types a genres.
And the IG BF2 does all of them IMHO more the justice.)
Myself I use a pair of recapped and modded Infinity RSiiia’s and highly modded ESS AMT 3’ with Great Heils
But I could certainly think a Chord DAC would be on my short list if I was heavily into classical music.
It’s like Chords DACS have a voicing sound ideal for this type of music, jazz and folk.

That smooth transients of Chord that doesn't impart its own signature is very nice for those genre.

What won me over in the Schiit and the R2R camp (both NOS and OS) is the organic tone and timbre that reminds me that I'm more listening to the artist rather than perfect reproduction of sounds. BF2 OG is just so orgasmic sounding and still puts me in awe every time I listen to it

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #3,595 of 4,957
That smooth transients of Chord that doesn't impart its own signature is very nice for those genre.

What won me over in the Schiit and the R2R camp (both NOS and OS) is the organic tone and timbre that reminds me that I'm more listening to the artist rather than perfect reproduction of sounds. BF2 OG is just so orgasmic sounding and still puts me in awe every time I listen to it
Yep, thanks for that description…
I have to agree…it sounds so good even if it’s not ‘refined’ as a OG Yiggy, I can skip the ‘refinement’ with this DAC, with out a care I’m missing something musical, or meaningful.

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #3,596 of 4,957

Pi4 USB is way cleaner then previous Pi ver. Not sure why it wouldn't sound good. At best use a decent LPS to power it otherwise I dont see any reason for Pi4 to be an issue. If some one doesn't like USB of BF2 due to tonality then I dont think changing USB source from Pi4 will make much of a difference

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #3,597 of 4,957
Pi4 USB is way cleaner then previous Pi ver. Not sure why it wouldn't sound good. At best use a decent LPS to power it otherwise I dont see any reason for Pi4 to be an issue. If some one doesn't like USB of BF2 due to tonality then I dont think changing USB source from Pi4 will make much of a difference
All I can tell you is that hasn't been my experience, and from what I've read on sbaf I'm not alone. It makes sense that the quality of the source usb port would make a difference.

And yes the rpi4 has a better usb port than the rpi3, but that ain't sayin much 🙂

Edit: Here's an example of what I was talking about: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-bifrost-2.8226/page-8#post-270225

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #3,598 of 4,957
All I can tell you is that hasn't been my experience, and from what I've read on sbaf I'm not alone. It makes sense that the quality of the source usb port would make a difference.

And yes the rpi4 has a better usb port than the rpi3, but that ain't sayin much 🙂
I have never tried USB of Pi4 to Bifrost but have used it with Gustard U18 DDC and I didn't find any thing bad as such when used with Allo Shanti LPS.

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #3,599 of 4,957
Huh
The whole point of Unison is so you don’t need a bunch of band-aids.
Not sure what ‘tonality’ your trying to change.. as the Unison , on a BF2, Gungnir, Modi3+_ whatever Schitter you choose sounds damn good.
I suppose if your trying to color the sound more to your liking-go for it.
IMHO-spend the money on a good cable and enjoy!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #3,600 of 4,957
As I recall, Jason has indicated that early in his partnership with Mike, they had to work out whether or not to even have an on/off switch on the equipment. Mike had very strong opinions that there shouldn't be one. Plug it in, and be done! Jason won, and today we have that on/off switch on the back......
I use this. Flock Jason and Mike on what they feel should be powered on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back