Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 22, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #3,526 of 4,956
So I bought a micro SD card (with adapter) to do the firmware update on my BF2. Finally got the card to mount on my Mac after I realized the micro SD card was not completely into the adapter. But now I cannot get the card out of the adapter. It's stuck in there and it's smooth so there's no grip to pull it out. It's crappy design like this that makes me seriously question if we really went to the moon. Why could Schiit not make it so the firmware just passes via the USB cable??
My guess is it's cheaper and easier to handle firmware updates with an sd card. Unison usb is a completely custom implementation designed to do one thing really well: transport digital audio. I would have to believe that expanding it to somehow also know when it's being asked to update firmware would be a pretty big effort.

Sep 22, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #3,527 of 4,956
Thats sucks-I would assume because it makes the main board more complicated.
Micro sd cards are a POA no matter where you apply them. Regular SD cards are usually not a issue.
They should make a card holder with a 6 inch cable with a end that matches the card.

I'll have to get an external micro SD card reader and another card. They are not very expensive but it's still annoying.

Sep 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #3,528 of 4,956
My guess is it's cheaper and easier to handle firmware updates with an sd card. Unison usb is a completely custom implementation designed to do one thing really well: transport digital audio. I would have to believe that expanding it to somehow also know when it's being asked to update firmware would be a pretty big effort.

Yeah perhaps. I do also once in a while get audio cutting out when playing via my MacBook Pro with the BF2. But just unplugging and re-plugging into my Mac seems to fix it. Still annoying though. But my Mac is also seven years old.

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #3,530 of 4,956
Unison rocks-never had a issue-but I runs pc's.
It sounds way better then Gen 5-or previous USB card, well worth updating those old Gungnir MB's
+1 I just hooked up my Bi-Frost 2/64 yesterday when it arrived. It's paired with a Singxer S-a1 and a schiit Lokius which I have never felt any need to remove from by-pass mode, because the 2/64 and Sa-1 are singing so beautifully together, they're making me wonder why I hesitated before getting the 2/64.

The most surprising part is how close the performance of this Bi-Frost 2/64 + Singxer sa-1 pairing comes to my more expensive pairings, such as Niimbus US4 + Sonnet Morpheus or the Yggy (OG) A2 + Pathos InPol Ear pairings for a mere fraction of the price.

I never heard the original Bi-Frost 2, so I can't compare the 2, but the sound of the 2/64 is so satisfying and refined to these ears that I do not think I would want it to sound any different.

One question I have is about burn in effects... Should I expect them to make a difference in this particular case? How many hours of "burn-in" might the Bi-Frost 2/64 require in order to hit its own stride? Both the 2/64 and the singxer sa-1 are new, so if burn-in benefits are to be expected, then it's kind of scary to wonder how much better each is going to get, as they already sound very good.

Here's another minor question : Is it safe to leave the Schiit Lokius and the singxer on all the time? The manual of the Bifrost 2/64 specifically says that it's okay to leave it on all the time, which is what I was already doing with my Yggy A2, but I would like to know whether the Lokius and the singxer also do not mind being left on all the time.

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #3,531 of 4,956
Leave them ON IMHO.
I never turn my BF2 off-unless I'm going away for awhile.
Run the BF for a week at least.
Both the original BFMB, and BF2 took a week or 2 to fully get settles down.
A fully broken in BF2 warms up in about 1/2 hour-very unlike the Yig or Gumby, or Bifrost MB
That's interesting you find the 2/64 closer to the Yiggy.
That's what I was assuming from the descriptions and spending extended Yiggy A2.
The OG BF2 reminds me of a Denon DL160.
Accurate?
Accurate enough IMHO-but highly musical, and making even crappy L/P's listenable.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #3,532 of 4,956
Simple answer would be that using a micro SD card doesn't require a computer. There are some people who only have cell phones these days as a phone can do almost all that a computer can do. To do the upgrade via a computer, they would need an interface that would work on all device types and then support those different devices. By using a Micro SD card, they can just mail you a card if you have trouble making one. Much easier to support.

Sep 22, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #3,533 of 4,956
Thanks for sharing.
I totally agree, the Bifrost 2OG is one of those rare and unique audio components that transcends its digital category.
Pretty cool stuff!

I agree with that for most Dacs/ components
The exception here is the BF2OG.
While I have to admit I don’t critically listen with this DAC.. I can’t recall hearing anything bad through it XM, YOUTUBE… what have you.
Sure you can tell the differences between the qualities of the source, but everything is very listenable.
I can’t recall the time where I wanted to turn something off or “change the channel” because the quality was so miserable to listen to.
Note to self: refer to Buddhist master the next time I have to justify equipment purchases.

You only lose what you cling to.

Sep 22, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #3,534 of 4,956
+1 I just hooked up my Bi-Frost 2/64 yesterday when it arrived. It's paired with a Singxer S-a1 and a schiit Lokius which I have never felt any need to remove from by-pass mode, because the 2/64 and Sa-1 are singing so beautifully together, they're making me wonder why I hesitated before getting the 2/64.

The most surprising part is how close the performance of this Bi-Frost 2/64 + Singxer sa-1 pairing comes to my more expensive pairings, such as Niimbus US4 + Sonnet Morpheus or the Yggy (OG) A2 + Pathos InPol Ear pairings for a mere fraction of the price.

I never heard the original Bi-Frost 2, so I can't compare the 2, but the sound of the 2/64 is so satisfying and refined to these ears that I do not think I would want it to sound any different.

One question I have is about burn in effects... Should I expect them to make a difference in this particular case? How many hours of "burn-in" might the Bi-Frost 2/64 require in order to hit its own stride? Both the 2/64 and the singxer sa-1 are new, so if burn-in benefits are to be expected, then it's kind of scary to wonder how much better each is going to get, as they already sound very good.

Here's another minor question : Is it safe to leave the Schiit Lokius and the singxer on all the time? The manual of the Bifrost 2/64 specifically says that it's okay to leave it on all the time, which is what I was already doing with my Yggy A2, but I would like to know whether the Lokius and the singxer also do not mind being left on all the time.
Burn in: I installed the 2/64 card 10 August, and I discerned an immediate difference. Better, but not a "knock-out". I considered reinstalling the original card for an A-B test, with thoughts of sending the 2/64 card back.

I listen most days 4+ hours. The last several weeks, I feel like the system has energized to a new level. The best change has been with low quality audio files, eg., YouTube videos (I'm a sucker for old music videos).

The 2/64 card was a wise investment.

Sep 22, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #3,535 of 4,956
I wonder if someone has compared the 2/64 with other DACs like the Denefrips Ares II?

Sep 22, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #3,536 of 4,956
I just went back to OS mode for a day with my BF2 OG. It is definitive that the NOS presentation solidified my preference with its better instrument placement and seductive vocals to my ears without sacrificing resolution and clarity

Sep 22, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #3,537 of 4,956
Burn in: I installed the 2/64 card 10 August, and I discerned an immediate difference. Better, but not a "knock-out". I considered reinstalling the original card for an A-B test, with thoughts of sending the 2/64 card back.

I listen most days 4+ hours. The last several weeks, I feel like the system has energized to a new level. The best change has been with low quality audio files, eg., YouTube videos (I'm a sucker for old music videos).

The 2/64 card was a wise investment.
Sure
I think it would be interesting to compare the 2/64 to the Gungnir… maybe they’re closer than I originally thought…even with the TI chips…
To me it’s not a linear progression.. but a different path… for whatever reason chip supply issues.. etc.
For myself… there was too many good things about OG version to motivate me to change it.
Not sure if Thich Nhat Hanh would help my audio enjoyment?…but who knows…
Come to think of it I could think of a lot worse alternatives.. with a 30 second boob tube flash of current events! :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #3,538 of 4,956
I found an interesting take on DAC pairing with a SET headphone amp (DNA Stellaris) that could explain my preference for the BF2 OG NOS sound when paired with my own SET headphone amp (ampsandsound Forge).

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

His statements led me to once again support why I find better synergy with NOS BF2 (its denser timbre and liquid mids and slightly rolled highs minus on NOS mode or in his terms = classic R2R DAC sound) just pairs up so well with my SET headphone amp (makes sense since SET headphone amps are typically more neutral/incisive in texture than warm/thick in the bass/subbass category contrary to the tube = warm sound mantra). I also briefly demoed the Lyr+ in SS mode while in CanJam and actually preferred the BF2/64 in the OS filter. BF2/64 NOS makes Lyr+ sound too warm for my tastes

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #3,539 of 4,956
That second clip seems to suggest I might prefer something like a Denefrips Ares II over the BF2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back