Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Feb 16, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #2,671 of 4,957
For me, maybe 2-8 hours max (or overnight if I am away for a few days)

Not sure what the reference point for Jot 2 is (if it runs cold) but "extremely toasty" does not sound normal. Mine is generally warm to the touch, but "extremely toasty" for me is Valhalla 2 w/o socket savers after running for an hour. If my Bifrost 2 started running as hot as Valhalla I'd be very concerned.

I do not think leaving it on 24/7 is detrimental to its lifespan. Multiple on/off cycles maybe moreso, kind of like how a car engine goes through most of its wear starting up.

I would like to think that as the capacitors "burn in" the sound improves, but that might be a bit subjective and don't know enough to make a solid argument one way or the other. I just enjoy it for what it is :L3000:

Thanks for sharing, I will admit I have a bit of nervosa right now since I switched to running the BF2 using balanced out exclusively and am thinking of upgrading to Gungnir or Yggy. This might help cull some of that (ok, my wallet being empty is going to cull all of it, but still).
I have no experience with Valhalla but my Bifrost 2 just seems to get hotter and hotter with use. I do not know whether leaving it on 24/7 or starting it up whenever I use it do more damage, will have to investigate ... I just do not want a giant electricity bill. Are you getting rid of your BF2 soon to go up to an Yggy? Which 'flavor' are you going for?
I find my Bifrost 2 to be much warmer (temp wise) than the Jot 2. I was concerned about it at first but it never seems to get warmer than it usually is. I added a Lokius to the stack as well and with 1/2 tall feet for some venting they stay the same
Same, BF2 much warmer (even hot to touch) than Jot 2, funnily enough as Jot 2 is the one amplifying and pushing power ... I want to enquire how you add the Lokius to the stack? Is it Source > Bifrost 2 > XLR > Lokius > XLR > Jot 2? Do you have three sockets for each of the units or do you run them off a power strip extender?

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #2,672 of 4,957
I have no experience with Valhalla but my Bifrost 2 just seems to get hotter and hotter with use. I do not know whether leaving it on 24/7 or starting it up whenever I use it do more damage, will have to investigate ... I just do not want a giant electricity bill. Are you getting rid of your BF2 soon to go up to an Yggy? Which 'flavor' are you going for?

Same, BF2 much warmer (even hot to touch) than Jot 2, funnily enough as Jot 2 is the one amplifying and pushing power ... I want to enquire how you add the Lokius to the stack? Is it Source > Bifrost 2 > XLR > Lokius > XLR > Jot 2? Do you have three sockets for each of the units or do you run them off a power strip extender?
I bought some add-on rubber feet to increase the gap under my Bifrost and between the Bifrost and Jotunheim. Now my Bifrost only gets slightly warm, and I live in S. Florida.

There are many on Amazon, but this is what I ended up settling on:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B87SRRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feb 16, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #2,673 of 4,957

Lokius is warmest of all, followed by BF2 and then Jot. Yea I go into BF2 using optical, XLR to Lokius, Lokius XLR to Jot 2. Xlr to headphones. I run them off a single power strip

Feb 16, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #2,674 of 4,957
Lokius is warmest of all, followed by BF2 and then Jot. Yea I go into BF2 using optical, XLR to Lokius, Lokius XLR to Jot 2. Xlr to headphones. I run them off a single power strip
Thanks, I am deciding whether to add a Lokius to my BF2 / Jot2 chain, I also don't understand why the Loki Max is several times the price of the Lokius, whereas even the Lokius at its price point is already balanced. Does the Lokius make any appreciable difference to your stack? Does running all 3 units off a single power strip cause any power deficiency or negative sound changes or heat issues?

Feb 16, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #2,675 of 4,957
Thanks, I am deciding whether to add a Lokius to my BF2 / Jot2 chain, I also don't understand why the Loki Max is several times the price of the Lokius, whereas even the Lokius at its price point is already balanced. Does the Lokius make any appreciable difference to your stack? Does running all 3 units off a single power strip cause any power deficiency or negative sound changes or heat issues?
Have you gotten into digital EQ already? I'd suggest starting there before jumping onto the Lokius. That being said I find having a physical EQ device like the Lokius to be superior. Digital EQ tends to have a noticeable degradation in sound quality where the Lokius does not have this issue. I find it quite fun to use, it has taught me even better what I'm listening for in those frequency ranges and I can quickly change a song to sound more along the lines of what I think will sound better.

I don't think much of having everything plugged into the same power strip. I could calculate the current load of all devices but since it's not tripping any breakers I don't believe it to be an issue.

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #2,676 of 4,957
So i just noticed some odd behaviour with the Bifrost 2.
They are connected to my Adam F7 powered monitors via balanced XLR. These speakers go into a sleep mode if they dont get any input for a while and will wake up after a moment of loud enough sound input. When they power back up, roon suddenly drops the connection to the Bifrost 2 and requires me to restart Roon for it to show back up as an available device.

I do remember in the past sometimes when the speakers would go out of standby my old monitor would briefly flicker black and then come back on. So I'm guessing this is power surge related somehow.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #2,677 of 4,957
Have you gotten into digital EQ already? I'd suggest starting there before jumping onto the Lokius. That being said I find having a physical EQ device like the Lokius to be superior. Digital EQ tends to have a noticeable degradation in sound quality where the Lokius does not have this issue. I find it quite fun to use, it has taught me even better what I'm listening for in those frequency ranges and I can quickly change a song to sound more along the lines of what I think will sound better.

I don't think much of having everything plugged into the same power strip. I could calculate the current load of all devices but since it's not tripping any breakers I don't believe it to be an issue.
I don't like EQ as I prefer to hear gear in their native state, but why I'm thinking to get a Lokius is because it would teach me more about what each frequency is doing to the music and I can learn more about my own tastes in the process. And if I still dislike it I can always just put it in bypass mode.

Glad to know that BF2 / Lokius / Jot2 can all work from a single power strip, since my listening corner doesn't have three individual wall sockets.

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #2,678 of 4,957
I'm thinking to get a Lokius is because it would teach me more about what each frequency is doing to the music and I can learn more about my own tastes in the process. And if I still dislike it I can always just put it in bypass mode.
Probably better to play with APO/Peace rather then buy a lokius. Because if your planning on possibly just not using it and leaving it in the chain doing nothing if you dont like it, that wouldnt be good because its just an unnecessary extra step in your signal chain. You can setup apo/peace to do exactly the same as lokius just in software, and if you like it, you could then buy lokius if you want the physical control.

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #2,679 of 4,957
I don't like EQ as I prefer to hear gear in their native state, but why I'm thinking to get a Lokius is because it would teach me more about what each frequency is doing to the music and I can learn more about my own tastes in the process. And if I still dislike it I can always just put it in bypass mode.

Glad to know that BF2 / Lokius / Jot2 can all work from a single power strip, since my listening corner doesn't have three individual wall sockets.
Save yourself $300 and use a digital EQ instead to get a feel for frequencies and how they change the sound to your liking

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #2,680 of 4,957
Chiming in with my experience about leaving BF2 on all the time vs on when needed for listening, I did not notice any significant differences in sound performance when I left it on all week vs 1 hour. If there was a difference, it might be so subtle its negligible for me.

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #2,681 of 4,957
Chiming in with my experience about leaving BF2 on all the time vs on when needed for listening, I did not notice any significant differences in sound performance when I left it on all week vs 1 hour. If there was a difference, it might be so subtle its negligible for me.
I recall reading on here, quite a few posts, that Schiit recommends keeping their multibit DAC's on all the time. In an interview with Mike M. he says something about it too. Sorry can't find the interview online. This is an excerpt from the Yggy manual:

1645213201527.png

Doesn't necessarily say you should leave them on for better sound, just that you can. I find my Bifrost 2 sounds better (cleaner, more space maybe), from a cold start, after about 4 to 6 hours. Really small differences though. But I do leave it on all the time with an occasional shut down every week or two overnight.
Chiming in on the heat topic, when I had my Bifrost 2 stacked underneath the Lokius and then the Jot 2 on top, the Bifrost was the hottest piece of equipment in the stack.

Edit to add: Bifrost 2 power consumption is 12W. That's nothing in my book. An iPad charger is 5W I think.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #2,682 of 4,957
I recall reading on here, quite a few posts, that Schiit recommends keeping their multibit DAC's on all the time. In an interview with Mike M. he says something about it too. Sorry can't find the interview online. This is an excerpt from the Yggy manual:

1645213201527.png
Doesn't necessarily say you should leave them on for better sound, just that you can. I find my Bifrost 2 sounds better (cleaner, more space maybe), from a cold start, after about 4 to 6 hours. Really small differences though. But I do leave it on all the time with an occasional shut down every week or two overnight.
Chiming in on the heat topic, when I had my Bifrost 2 stacked underneath the Lokius and then the Jot 2 on top, the Bifrost was the hottest piece of equipment in the stack.

Edit to add: Bifrost 2 power consumption is 12W. That's nothing in my book. An iPad charger is 5W I think.
I recall that as well, for yggy I seem to recall him saying 3 days for the unit to settle down.

however: https://goldensound.audio/2021/11/29/schiit-yggdrasil-og-measurements-one-month-warmup-test/

Feb 18, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #2,683 of 4,957
Feb 18, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #2,684 of 4,957
I have read most Yggy and Gumby owners swear by leaving the dac on all the time cause it sounds better to them. However, for Bifrost 2, its not that universally viewed that way from what I gathered and my own experience.

No right or wrong here, people should do what's best for them.

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #2,685 of 4,957
I have one at work and one at home, and I leave them both on. No issues whatsoever. I had a gumby before that I also left on all the time without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back