Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jun 5, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #2,101 of 4,957
Now that people have been using the BF2 for a few months now, how do you think it compares with the Gungnir Multibit and the Yggdrasil?

Also, has there been any issues with latency with any of the multibits when using them for gaming or HD movies?

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #2,102 of 4,957
IF I recall correctly, I remember Chromecast Audio limiting to 256kbps on Spotify. I'm not sure if it also has the same limits on other hi res platforms?
Currently, Spotify's maximum resolution is 320 kbps using Ogg Vorbis codec, but Spotify sends 256 kbps AAC to Chromecast Audio endpoints. Spotify will offer CD quality (16-bit/44.1 kHz) lossless streaming later this year.

Tidal and Qobuz can stream at CD quality 16/44 to Chromecast Audio. In theory, Chromecast Audio supports up to 24/96 but the audio stutters occasionally if you try to stream Qobuz at that rate.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #2,103 of 4,957
IF I recall correctly, I remember Chromecast Audio limiting to 256kbps on Spotify. I'm not sure if it also has the same limits on other hi res platforms?
It goes up to 24-bit/96khz.

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #2,104 of 4,957
Now that people have been using the BF2 for a few months now, how do you think it compares with the Gungnir Multibit and the Yggdrasil?

Also, has there been any issues with latency with any of the multibits when using them for gaming or HD movies?
A few months? Bifrost 2 was released almost 2 years ago! If you search, there are many comparisons on this forum and the web.

In general, there is no perceptible latency in DACs. Latency issues are caused by delays elsewhere, such as wireless connections or other audio stream processing.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #2,105 of 4,957
A few months? Bifrost 2 was released almost 2 years ago! If you search, there are many comparisons on this forum and the web.

In general, there is no perceptible latency in DACs. Latency issues are caused by delays elsewhere, such as wireless connections or other audio stream processing.

My bad, I meant the upgraded BF2 :)

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #2,106 of 4,957
Interesting anomaly.

My chain: Bifrost 2 > Jotunheim 2/Lyr 3.

Last night, listening via the Jot with the Lyr3 as a pre-amp, I overextended (placed stress) on my balanced headphone cable (senn. HD800s), looking for an album. I never separated the hp cord to amp, but my right channel went mute.

Change cable to the HD800S no joy. Change cable to SE, no joy.

Change headphones to DC Aeon 2 open. No joy. Switch source to Lyr3, muted channel switches to left.

I re-booted my PC, no joy.

Re-booted Bifrost 2 (via power switch on back). Light show, then, a squelching sound (if you've ever heard RF inter channel-radio interference, that was close) but I've never heard that sound from the Bifrost2.

Joy. Everything seems back to normal. All devices appear to function as normal today.

I'm curious, what happened?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #2,107 of 4,957
For everyone in the Apple ecosystem, Apple Hi-Res Lossless is now live on Apple Music if you're subscribed. I've been listening to a selection of tunes this morning and the Bifrost 2 has had no issues with playback so far (though not everything has been Hi-Res, everything had been ALAC).

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #2,108 of 4,957
For everyone in the Apple ecosystem, Apple Hi-Res Lossless is now live on Apple Music if you're subscribed. I've been listening to a selection of tunes this morning and the Bifrost 2 has had no issues with playback so far (though not everything has been Hi-Res, everything had been ALAC).
Does the Apple Music player do automatic sample rate switching (exclusive mode)?

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #2,109 of 4,957
Does the Apple Music player do automatic sample rate switching (exclusive mode)?
I'm not certain about this since I haven't looked under the hood.

This morning I launched Apple Music, went to Preferences and then Playback where I chose "High Resolution Lossless (ALAC up to 24-bit/192kHz)", hit Save, and started listening.

You might find more info about this online but for now, this is all I have.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #2,111 of 4,957
No. It defaults to the Midi setting on a MAC. I've tried the apps "Soundsource" and "Bit Perfect" and neither work in automatically switching sample rate based on the song.
That sucks. That's the main problem I see with lossless streaming. Amazon doesn't do it, either. It does happen in Tidal and Qobuz at least when using Audirvana.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #2,113 of 4,957
That sucks. That's the main problem I see with lossless streaming. Amazon doesn't do it, either. It does happen in Tidal and Qobuz at least when using Audirvana.

Audirvana is worth every penny and has great functionality but you don't even need it for bit perfect streaming of Tidal or Qobuz. Both of them have exclusive mode for audio (which bypasses the OS X Midi) in their native music Apps.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,114 of 4,957
Audirvana is worth every penny and has great functionality but you don't even need it for bit perfect streaming of Tidal or Qobuz. Both of them have exclusive mode for audio (which bypasses the OS X Midi) in their native music Apps.
I've used Audirvana for a while now and it's terrific. I noted the Apple Hi-Res Lossless because it's the only streaming service I subscribe to and the Lossless/Hi=Res upgrade doesn't cost me anything more while allowing m to enjoy what I stream a little bit more.

Jun 12, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #2,115 of 4,957
Appears to be the same cable here, maybe?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZ2TZ1S/ref=emc_b_5_t

Either way - I have recently become enlightened to "Cables" matter. Started off with headphone cables, and though I did not want to hear a difference I did, even with $200-400 cables. I haven't gone over the edge (yet) with $700+ cables but who knows...

Point is I have been picking out some USB cables in the same manner starting off with <$125 first - to see if I can hear a difference (with my luck I probably will - RIP wallet...) So, I ordered a Pangea Premier and a Audioquest Forest cable - And the cable that you linked - not the other I found.

Well that Monosaudio branded cable arrived first. I'm going to wait a week or so before swapping it in because I also in the last week added a Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 into my primary signal chain. I am already hearing improvements from that addition so need to give my head and ears sometime to recalculate a baseline before introducing another variable. I will be sure to let you know how it goes.

Oh as far as I can figure, that collar (has three arrows) is just to indicate direction (though USB is bi-di?), just like on the worlds best cables, only they use a tag.

Cheers!
I purchased the Viborg 2M USB-A > USB-B this past week. Nothing wrong with my current USB cable, but, you know, no cost to ship, no cost to return.

Maybe in a parallel Universe, USB cables actually make a difference. In this case, intermittent signal loss to my Bifrost 2.

I returned to my https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DCNPQL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back