Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Mar 16, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #1,741 of 4,960
I'm using all balanced in/outputs. I did compare to SE; balanced is definitely a step up (and it's especially recommended with the HEDDphone).

To be clear, I'm not saying the sound I'm getting from the Jot2/BF2 combo is bad in any way, far from it. I don't want to overstate the negatives. But here's my experience: I started with a pair of LCD-2's. I quite enjoyed them but they couldn't fully convince me because of similar issues: not enough separation, a bit muffled, not enough air -- even after EQ. So I went to the HEDDphone and it just blew me away on my little Element II. That amp clearly needed upgrading to get the most out of the headphones, so I settled on the balanced Jot2/BF2 combo. Now that I have it, it's a big improvement in a lot of ways (heft, control, dynamics, timbre) but when it comes to separation, air, etc, it's almost like I went back to the LCD-2. Well, a massively improved LCD-2, but still. For all of the improvements, there's also a marked regression in some aspects. And seeing as I really enjoyed the sound of the HEDDphone on a more revealing amp, I'm hoping to find the best of both worlds.
Ok I see. If your Jot2/BF2 are new, maybe let them settle in and see if it opens up and improve. I noticed when new, the Jot2 was peaky bright and a bit muddled too at the same time. I now have about 115 hours of use on the Jot2 and a little less on the BF2 and not noticing these attributes, unless its a crappy recording. I use CD ripped 44.1khz wav format for my music by the way.

Hope the Jot2/BF2 improves for you as it did for me. At first I was not blown away, but I find it a very special combo now. Perhaps its both gear and brain burn in. But give it time before making a quick decision to buy or change things.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #1,742 of 4,960
Ok I see. If your Jot2/BF2 are new, maybe let them settle in and see if it opens up and improve. I noticed when new, the Jot2 was peaky bright and a bit muddled too at the same time. I now have about 115 hours of use on the Jot2 and a little less on the BF2 and not noticing these attributes, unless its a crappy recording. I use CD ripped 44.1khz wav format for my music by the way.

Hope the Jot2/BF2 improves for you as it did for me. At first I was not blown away, but I find it a very special combo now. Perhaps its both gear and brain burn in. But give it time before making a quick decision to buy or change things.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #1,743 of 4,960
Just had caps upgraded in my MJ2 and it took about 3 days of constant running to get the amp to settle in. I do believe gear needs a period to burn in to sound its best when new.
The MJ2 was strident and glaring out of the box after mods.

Really digging the MJ2/BF2 combo with my Clears.

Mar 16, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,744 of 4,960
Depends on the amp chain more than the BF2 itself. One pairing that I wouldn't recommend with Utopia if BF2 is the DAC would be the GS X mini. Too laid-back for my taste. Utopia sings with SET amps that I've demoed (Mogwai SE, Stellaris), and BF2 + SET amp + Utopia = :L3000: IMHO
I'm thinking of combining it with a JOT2 + BF2 chain along with a 4 pin XLR balanced cable.

Mar 16, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #1,745 of 4,960
Just had caps upgraded in my MJ2 and it took about 3 days of constant running to get the amp to settle in. I do believe gear needs a period to burn in to sound its best when new.
The MJ2 was strident and glaring out of the box after mods.

Really digging the MJ2/BF2 combo with my Clears.
That’s pretty cool, got any pictures of the upgrades?

Mar 16, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #1,746 of 4,960
Hadn't come across the Eitr before. I'm not sure how it'd help me. If I were to add a second DAC or replace the BF2, I'd just use its USB input directly. Am I missing something?
The schiit Eitr converts USB to SPDIF and is externally powered so it also isolates noise and reclocks data. Its discontinued but shows up on Schiits closeout site from time to time. If youcan buy one its like having 2 usb dacs in one soundwise.

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,747 of 4,960
That’s pretty cool, got any pictures of the upgrades?
Before
image (1).jpg

After. Not a lot of room in there lol.
image (2).jpg

Mar 16, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #1,751 of 4,960
Depends on the amp chain more than the BF2 itself. One pairing that I wouldn't recommend with Utopia if BF2 is the DAC would be the GS X mini. Too laid-back for my taste. Utopia sings with SET amps that I've demoed (Mogwai SE, Stellaris), and BF2 + SET amp + Utopia = :L3000: IMHO

Do you find the BF2 pairs better with amps that are more forward, say the Liquid Platinum? The reason why I ask is I’m running into the same issue myself with a laid back/warmer DAC being a bad pairing with a laid back or neutral amp. BHC so far doesn’t seem to be cutting the mustard.

Mar 16, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #1,752 of 4,960
i was planning on using the optical input on the bitfrost 2 , did anybody compared to usb ? on my cyan i prefer the optical , has less glare in the top end with same details .
Try both and see if you prefer one over the other. Bifrost 2 has Unison USB which many find to be better than optical.

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #1,753 of 4,960
Do you find the BF2 pairs better with amps that are more forward, say the Liquid Platinum? The reason why I ask is I’m running into the same issue myself with a laid back/warmer DAC being a bad pairing with a laid back or neutral amp. BHC so far doesn’t seem to be cutting the mustard.

IMO, pairing a laid back amp with BF2 can cause blurring of the transients which can make the system lacking enough bite when the recording calls for it. Haven't heard the liquid platinum, but if the note edges are not too sharp nor too slow, BF2 would pair up really well with it

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #1,754 of 4,960
I'm thinking of combining it with a JOT2 + BF2 chain along with a 4 pin XLR balanced cable.

Could be a sound that you like if Utopia's treble is too sharp for you as I've heard the Jot 2, but not with Utopia. I believe it should make the Utopia sound wider, but it won't maximize Utopia's resolution capabilities.

Mar 17, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #1,755 of 4,960
Long time lurker here. Also the owner of a new Jotunheim 2 + Bifrost 2 stack. I bought both to power my most recent purchase, the HEDDphone. I'm pretty happy with the result but I feel something is lacking. One the one hand, I absolutely love the smooth, natural, organic nature of the sound I'm getting. I didn't know I had digital glare until I got this combo. On the other hand, I feel I've had to sacrifice more detail than I was expecting based on the reviews, separation is not as good as I would have liked, there's a bloominess I'm not crazy about, and in music where lots is going on everything gets smushed together somewhat (I guess that's also separation).

With the right music the BF2 sounds ridiculously good. But too often I feel like it's taking too much away from the gorgeous sound and resolution the HEDDphone can offer. Before this stack I was using a JDS Labs Element II dac/amp. While not powerful enough to take proper command of the HEDDphone, it was still surprisingly good at driving them, and it was actually better at detail, air and separation than the Schiit stack.

So now I'm in two minds: keep the BF2 to enjoy the types of music where it works well (because when it does, man, it's good), and maybe add a slightly cheaper delta-sigma DAC like the upcoming Topping D30pro to satiate my detail cravings, or just replace the BF2 with a single DAC that can give me both the detail, air, etc I'm looking for AND the smooth, natural experience of the BF2. I'm tending towards the latter. I'm not a collector. I'd rather have one piece of kit that works most of the time, than several pieces to fill each gap. I'm also thinking that because the Jotunheim 2 is fairly smooth as far as amps go, it might allow me to buy a more clinical DAC (D90?) and still end up with a pleasingly smooth end result.

Anyone have any recommendations? Ideal price range would be up to $1000, but if my criteria can't be met I'd be willing to go up a bracket and consider something like the Chord Qutest (?).

Bifrost 2 needs a few days running 24/7, at least that was my impression when I had it new for the first few days.

I've recently directly compared Bifrost 2 and the RME ADI 2 DAC FS and Modi 3+ using a Meier Corda Classic AMP, which allows me to switch between two DACs. The DACs sound very simillar, the difference is realy tiny, they're much closer than I would have expected. Jot 2 is also part of my collections, as well as a Phonitor e and some others.

If you want to compare stuff and hear how your BF2/Jot2 sounds compared to something else I'd recommend Modi 3+ and eventually a Magni. These give you 100% soundquality and they can be sold without much loss. And you can use Modi 3 with Jot2, too. Input doesn't matter for Jot2 so no need to worry about balanced/SE input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back