Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Feb 22, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #1,666 of 4,957
Yes, that is a very good question, wonder if anyone is using a dedicated streamer like Allo DigiOne or pi2AES with Bifrost?

Darko seems to rate the former, and the latter gets raves on A Nother Forum....

I'd be quite happy to tinker with an RPi based box like this, but only if it's going to deliver noticeable SQ improvement over what I have already with Unison USB from the MacBookPro.

I was curious about this as well since I use my MBP as my source - although I'm holding out for the Urd - which as I understand it, closes the Unison USB Loop; could mean improvements in SQ...

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #1,667 of 4,957
Yes, that is a very good question, wonder if anyone is using a dedicated streamer like Allo DigiOne or pi2AES with Bifrost?

I'd be quite happy to tinker with an RPi based box like this, but only if it's going to deliver noticeable SQ improvement over what I have already with Unison USB from the MacBookPro.

I'm feeding my BF2 from the USB output of my 2017 iMac and found that my choice of playback software made a big difference. I originally used iTunes/Apple Music but am now using Audirvana and vastly prefer it to the app that comes with MacOS. I think they still offer a free 30 day trial so you might want to try it.

An observation on the BF2: One of its strengths is its ability to let me follow individual instruments and voices in complex music while keeping the overall scale of the piece intact. My Bimby with Gen 5 was good at this but the BF2 is even better. While it may not be to everyone's taste, the combination of the Lyr 3 and the Bifrost 2 really works for me.

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #1,668 of 4,957
I'm feeding my BF2 from the USB output of my 2017 iMac and found that my choice of playback software made a big difference. I originally used iTunes/Apple Music but am now using Audirvana and vastly prefer it to the app that comes with MacOS. I think they still offer a free 30 day trial so you might want to try it.

An observation on the BF2: One of its strengths is its ability to let me follow individual instruments and voices in complex music while keeping the overall scale of the piece intact. My Bimby with Gen 5 was good at this but the BF2 is even better. While it may not be to everyone's taste, the combination of the Lyr 3 and the Bifrost 2 really works for me.
Can you stream Tidal through it? Thanks!

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #1,669 of 4,957
Can you stream Tidal through it? Thanks!
I don't use Tidal or other streaming services but I checked the app and it looks like Tidal is one of the streaming services supported (along with Qobuz and HRA).

Feb 22, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #1,671 of 4,957

I have and use Allo DigiOne on ethernet connected via coax to Schiit Modi Multibit/Vali 2+. In a direct comparison to iPhone 6S+ via Apple CCK to USB the DigiOne and the iPhone sound identical - both great. iPhone via CCK/USB into unison USB on Bifrost 2 sounds awesome direct from Onkyo HF Player App and as a Roon endpoint. I've ordered a RaspberryPi 4 to try out the Vitos Silent Angel software and using the Pi4 USB out to the Bifrost 2. Due to the weather it's still not here. The Pi4 has better USB than the Pi3 and the Silent Angel software strips everything away except for Roon operations over USB and ethernet so you no longer require a HAT like the DigiOne to isolate the power from the audio data. I expect this to equal the iPhone on the Bifrost but you never know until you try.

One interesting thing about iPhone 6s+ and DigiOne was a comparison on my Marantz HT rig. I had been using the DigiOne to stream to the Marantz for several months when I decided to dig out the HDMI adapter and compare the iPhone as an endpoint. The DigiOne was connected via Coax (like it is on the ModiMulti) and the iPhone used the Apple DV HDMI adapter. The iPhone blew the DigiOne out of the water as a Roon Endpoint on the Marantz. I was shocked. The Marantz must have an apptitude/preference for HDMI inputs because as I stated earlier on the Schiit Stack they are dead even in SQ. I've been using the iPhone as my HT Roon endpoint ever since, that's why the DigiOne is on my desk where it replaced a failed Schiit Eitr to cleanup the terrible USB on my iMac. I'm ordering a Bluesound Node 2i to see if it can equal the iPhone on the Marantz and I have high hopes, especially for when playing Tidal MQA. I wouldn't mind a set it and forget it system since I'm still using my phone as a phone and my iPad to read. I'll also test the Node 2i on my Bifrost 2 headphone rig and report back if anyone is interested.

EDIT: I changed my mind about getting the Bluesound Node 2i but I did do a write up comparing a RaspberryPi 4 USB to a RaspberryPi 3 with Allo DigiOne Coax HAT to Bifrost 2 and ModiMulti. I posted it in the Computer Audio Forum here.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #1,672 of 4,957
I leave my 2 BF2s on 24x7, Texas power grid permitting. Honestly, I think a 20 minute warmup is all that is required to get the BF2 electronics nice and toasty for optimal performance. In my case, it's how my gear is situated making the rear power switch difficult to access that causes me to leave it on at all times.
I also leave mine on 24/7 for the same reason.
Before I usually turned it on some time before listening and let it warm up for half an hour to an hour or so. If there is an improvement leaving it on all the time vs turning it off but letting it warm up for an hour before listening I’m not really detecting it with my ears.

(I'm not gonna beat the power switch location dead horse.)

What does this have in common with the Bifrost2?

0B0796FC-18DD-4844-A270-21E5D8DE35BD.jpeg

Answer:
Yep, power switch is on the back :relaxed:
(lovely computer by the way, I have one myself)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #1,673 of 4,957
Just ordered my Bitfrost 2!

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #1,674 of 4,957
Congrats!!!!

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #1,676 of 4,957
Feb 24, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #1,677 of 4,957
For only a $30.00 USD savings - doesn't make a whole lot of cents... I guess unless one absolutely wanted it "now" and did not want to wait 7-10 days lead time to shipping etc.
Furthermore, you have to keep it if you don't like it since their 15-day money back guarantee is not applicable to B-stock items.

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #1,678 of 4,957
For only a $30.00 USD savings - doesn't make a whole lot of cents... I guess unless one absolutely wanted it "now" and did not want to wait 7-10 days lead time to shipping etc.

Furthermore, you have to keep it if you don't like it since their 15-day money back guarantee is not applicable to B-stock items.
...and the worst problem:
Not available in black!! :wink:

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #1,679 of 4,957
Nawww - a can of Krylon is pretty inexpensive and easy to obtain.... :laughing:

Feb 24, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #1,680 of 4,957
Just ordered my Bitfrost 2! Big change expected from my iFi Zen DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back