Schiit Asgard or Meier-Audio Corda Rock or any other solid state amps below $300?
Aug 27, 2012 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

harryyeo

Head-Fier
Hi guys, currently I am listening to music on my PC that has a STX inside which has RCA line outs.
And I am adding a solid state amp that accepts RCA input to the chain as I currently am using a 2.0 speaker that is using the headphone jack.
You see, I'm just kinda lazy to keep unplugging the speaker and then replugging it whenever I want to listen to music privately.
redface.gif

(My PC's in the living room and sometimes the TV shows can get kinda... LOUD.)

You can see the list of the headphone I currently own in my sig, and I plan to get a Signature DJ and HE-400 in the future (either in Dec or next year)...

At the moment I am considering to get either the Schiit Asgard or the Meier-Audio Corda Rock but I am still open to suggestions.
No tube amps please, as my table is too small for them.

Thanks for reading!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 16
You could just get a signal switcher. They run less than SGD 20 at Funan, Sim Lim Sq and Sim Lim Tower. Generally all RCA (including video) and 3-in, 1-out, but you can use them for audio just fine. Add an RCA-to-mini for the speakers, and you can have all your devices hooked up to the sound card.

Asgard is much more expensive and larger than the Rock. If you have space for an Asgard, how come you don't have space for a tube amp? Not that tubes are necessarily what are normally recommended for your headphones... But still.

Back to cost: Rock cost me about S$300 shipped direct from Dr Meier, but IIRC an Asgard should be S$500+ locally.

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
You could just get a signal switcher. They run less than SGD 20 at Funan, Sim Lim Sq and Sim Lim Tower. Generally all RCA (including video) and 3-in, 1-out, but you can use them for audio just fine. Add an RCA-to-mini for the speakers, and you can have all your devices hooked up to the sound card.
Asgard is much more expensive and larger than the Rock. If you have space for an Asgard, how come you don't have space for a tube amp? Not that tubes are necessarily what are normally recommended for your headphones... But still.
Back to cost: Rock cost me about S$300 shipped direct from Dr Meier, but IIRC an Asgard should be S$500+ locally.

I will consider the signal switcher approach but I probably will get an amp as it's more convenient to have the headphone jack in front of me instead of have to reach to the back the CPU. And probably because I rotate between my headphones every few days.
And an improvement to the sound quality is also a big plus.

Actually it's more of the height as my table is meant for those old desktops that are flat-lying.
Something similar to the table pictured in this link: http://www.workathomewebs.com/Laptop-or-PC.php
My monitor and CPU is already occupying the top of the table so the only place to squeeze an amp into is where the CPU is in the picture.
And the height clearance ain't that nice.

Yeah, I am actually favoring Rock at the moment as it's alot cheaper and smaller but still looking for more suggestions for possible amps to use.

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
O2 + 3.5 to RCA cable? Mass order on HWZ coming soon, S$220 I think.
Haven't heard this but saw raving review over InnerFidelity, maybe you want to check out, around $380SGD with shipping, direct from manufacturer maybe less http://www.thomann.de/intl/lake_people_g103s_phoneamp.htm
Btw nice to see Singapore bros here :D

Will add these into my consideration thanks.

Just started on my audiophile journey, and hi to fellow Singaporeans.

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
Don't forget the Matrix M-Stage

Ahh Matrix vs Asgard, the great internal debate
frown.gif
.  Both can be had in the FS forum for around $200 used (or less in the Asgards case).

I am going to run into the same problem as OP when my Asgard arrives, would a AV switcher introduce noise into the signal?? putting something like that in the loop makes me nervous, but it probably beats plugging the speakers in the headphone jack.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 16
If you can score an AGD C-2.x for under$300 on the FS forums-it is a clear cut above the Matrix/Asgard in my opinion. Very silky smooth sounding, but still one of the most detailed ss amps I've heard. I much preferred it to the much more expenseive Concerto, and a prominent Headfier here even returned his V200 in favor of his C-2.1. Keep an eye out as they pop up now and then...

-Daniel

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 16
Btw harryyeo, the Rock runs quiet and it sounds nice and neutral to my ears. Take that recommendation for what you will--I haven't had it for very long, so I'm hesitant to say too much about it. And the only "reference" equipment I have would be my JH13, so...

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
If you can score an AGD C-2.x for under$300 on the FS forums-it is a clear cut above the Matrix/Asgard in my opinion. Very silky smooth sounding, but still one of the most detailed ss amps I've heard. I much preferred it to the much more expenseive Concerto, and a prominent Headfier here even returned his V200 in favor of his C-2.1. Keep an eye out as they pop up now and then...

-Daniel

I wonder if those match well with the high current/low ohm output hungry Denons? If so I may have an upgrade to consiter.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 16
Absolutely! In fact I'd be willing to bet that the smooth, extremely neutral and transparent characteristics of the AGD would be a very synergistic pairing for the sometimes pesky Denons. Keep in mind Audio gd products really improve with tons of burnin, and getting a used one may be preferable for this reason.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back