Schiit Asgard + DAC Combo
Dec 21, 2011 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JeddyB

New Head-Fier
Hey there,
I currently have a set of Sennheiser HD598 headphones which have been running from the Audigy 2 ZS soundcard in my computer for as long as I've had them. Anyway, if all goes well, I should be purchasing a Schiit Asgard headphone amp in about a week. Now, my question is regarding a DAC. I was thinking of getting an affordable DAC to use with this amp and ditching my old Audigy card so that I can get true, reliable 24/96 conversion and uncoloured sound into my amp. I've been quite interested in the Audioengine D1 and also the HRT Music Streamer II. What is the general opinion around here of these two items?

Also, one other thing to consider is that, in the near future I also intend to buy some Audioengine A5+ speakers. Now, one of the reasons I liked the D1 to go with this setup is that it has both a set of RCA outputs and a headphone output, which means I could have both the speakers and headphone amp plugged in at the same time, however, after reading that the D1 has a small headphone amp built in, I'm worried this won't produce as clean and uncoloured an output as the RCA outputs. Would this be true? If so, I could probably arrange some simple contraption to have them both plugged into the RCAs via some splitters.

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 9
Why not just replace your Audigy 2 with an Asus Xonar Essence STX (24/192, PCI-Express), cheaper then buying the Schiit Asguard.
And you can upgrade the three Op-amps in the STX.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
You're right that that would be a cheaper option, but I have doubts that the soundcard would be able to match a $249 standalone amplifier and $169 DAC.

Match it, no.
But the STX offers full surround sound support for games and movies.
But if all you care about is 2.0 stereo music, then the DAC/Ext amp. would sound better.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 9
Yeah, I probably should've mentioned my intentions.
frown.gif

My main intended use for this rig is just my stereo headphones and stereo bookshelves and the vast majority of listening will be music. So I'll probably just go for the amp and DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back