Schiit Asgard + Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD = ?
Jan 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Chadley

Head-Fier
My setup consisits of the denon D2000 and Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD.  I am looking to get an amp that would be able to work well with the D2000 while also be able to handle any future headphones I get.  I have heard many good things about the Asgard and am wondering how well it works paired with the X-Fi HD?  Is there a different DAC I should be looking to pair the Asgard with?  Would the Asgard also be overkill with the D2000?

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
My setup consisits of the denon D2000 and Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD.  I am looking to get an amp that would be able to work well with the D2000 while also be able to handle any future headphones I get.  I have heard many good things about the Asgard and am wondering how well it works paired with the X-Fi HD?  Is there a different DAC I should be looking to pair the Asgard with?  Would the Asgard also be overkill with the D2000?

It'll be fine. There are very few circumstances where DAC/amp combos come out badly. It's overkill as far as the D2000 power-wise but will handle most future headphones. Frankly, the X-Fi HD is enough to handle most future headphones you buy unless they're electrostats.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the info.  So with me using the X-Fi HD, would there be any benefit (sound quality) in getting an amp.  The reason I ask these questions is that I was thinking of getting either a nice stand alone amp, DAC/amp combo or some new cans.  If there is no benefit in getting an amp with the X-Fi HD then I may look at cans.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Thanks for the info.  So with me using the X-Fi HD, would there be any benefit (sound quality) in getting an amp.  The reason I ask these questions is that I was thinking of getting either a nice stand alone amp, DAC/amp combo or some new cans.  If there is no benefit in getting an amp with the X-Fi HD then I may look at cans.

If there is, you'd hard pressed to hear it and it probably won't be worth $300 (after taxes and customs Schiit gets pretty expensive). Your biggest improvement will probably come from just buying new headphones

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 6
X-Fi HD vs. Fiio E17 - is there a substantial sound/quality difference or again would it be minimal?  Or maybe I should be asking X-Fi HD vs. any DAC/Amp combo - any substantial difference?

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 6
The problem is not with the DAC/amp combos. It's just that in the price range, the X-Fi HD (I assume you have the Titanium soundcard?) is really good for what it does. You'd have to step up quite a bit to see substantial improvement. I have no idea about the E17 though, never even heard of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back