Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #2,671 of 2,857
for the same price used I have an asgard 3 and a JOTUNHEIM 1, which one should I take? whereas i have hd650, sundara and 325e grade and i prefer a warm and full sound.
Asgard 3

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #2,672 of 2,857
for the same price used I have an asgard 3 and a JOTUNHEIM 1, which one should I take? whereas i have hd650, sundara and 325e grade and i prefer a warm and full sound.
The Asgard 3 is better single ended than the Jotunheim 1.

Balanced the Jot 1 has more power

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #2,674 of 2,857
Apparently it is colder sounding than the Asgard.

The Jot 1 fell out of favor very quickly, while the Asgard 3 and Jot 2 have much stronger followings.

Apr 12, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #2,676 of 2,857
My vote is for the Asgard 3. I have never heard the Jot 1 though, but I do have the HD6XX, Sundara and the 325x.

Apr 12, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #2,677 of 2,857
My vote is for the Asgard 3. I have never heard the Jot 1 though, but I do have the HD6XX, Sundara and the 325x.
IMO the A3 is a staggering bargain at its purchase price new. Beautifully balanced top to bottom. A great investment, not significantly bettered until one is ready to move up to $800 -$1200 amps. Unless a person “needs” balanced (long cable runs, etc.), I don’t consider Jot to be a good step up $ wise.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #2,678 of 2,857
IMHO the Asgard 3 is your best bet based on your preferences. The Jotunheim 1 has a bit of a metallic-sounding treble to my ears. The Jotunheim 2 sound very different from the V1 and would be a better fit for you if you come across one in the future.

Apr 12, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #2,679 of 2,857
I own both the Asgard 3 and Jotunheim 2. I agree with gefski regarding the value of Asgard 3. For the money difference I prefer the Jotunheim 2 when using balanced out.

Apr 16, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #2,685 of 2,857
So, I asked earlier about the gain stage and the RCA out, since I needed some gain to drive two active amps (subwoofer+pair of Adam Audio monitors). This was just the ticket. It's replacing a SYS. I like having the passive option, but I like the sound of the gain stage even at low levels and it will likely mostly stay there. Passive is "lean and clean" but active is "fat and full". I dig it. I have it being fed with a 4 device passive EQ (this is a desktop + basement audio system), and of course the multiple inputs reduce the gain on the passive EQ, further justifying the new gain stage.

So a big thumbs up. I didn't even realize it was Class A until I bought it LOL. The sound is excellent as I would expect. I don't have any headphones good enough to evaluate the headphone amp aspect of this beast... I'm much more of a speaker dude. This is my 1st Schiit amp, all my previous purchases have been DACs and DAC upgrades. As usual, I am a very satisfied customer.

My only beefs (and they are minor) are (1) the switch in the back (yes this has been hashed out a zillion times, it is indeed a pain for me to reach behind my monitors to turn it on & off... I may just put it on a switched outlet) and (2) the trademark Super Schiitty Bright LED that sometimes comes into view through the holes from where I am perched. They must have gotten one hell of a bulk deal for those eye piercing white LEDs. I always find a way to block them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back