Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #2,222 of 2,857
Anyone else having the markings by the front switches come off? I'm driving HE6se's with it and it gets REAL hot, assume whatever adhesive is used is melting lol
PXL_20211001_082854149.jpg

Oct 3, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #2,224 of 2,857
Has anyone here paired the Asgard 3 Dac/amp combo with the Sony Z1R? I own this Dac/amp and would like to buy the Z1R for home listening.

Oct 4, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,225 of 2,857
Anyone else having the markings by the front switches come off? I'm driving HE6se's with it and it gets REAL hot, assume whatever adhesive is used is melting lolPXL_20211001_082854149.jpg
Yes, it happens on my modi 3 and my Asgard. Where ever you drag a finger over the silk screened text it rubs off. There is to little ink in the very small font to stick to the anodizing.

Oct 5, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #2,227 of 2,857
Yes, it happens on my modi 3 and my Asgard. Where ever you drag a finger over the silk screened text it rubs off. There is to little ink in the very small font to stick to the anodizing.
Thanks, at least it wasn't just this unit or something about the way I was treating it. I've since just removed the one leftover sticker and keeping only the headphone and volume stickers on there. Maybe i'll go completely blank face on it in the future :p

Oct 5, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #2,228 of 2,857
Thanks, at least it wasn't just this unit or something about the way I was treating it. I've since just removed the one leftover sticker and keeping only the headphone and volume stickers on there. Maybe i'll go completely blank face on it in the future :p
Was the amp originally ‘Assguard’ and two letters eroded?…🤪

Oct 13, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #2,230 of 2,857
It's funny, the silver color of my Asgard 3 has a slightly different hue than on the Bifrost and Lokius. It's more of a slightly golden hue that's hard to capture on camera, but you can kind of see the difference in the photo below. I don't mind the difference at all - actually I think that the golden hue looks kind of cool.
Asgard 3 Hue.JPG

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #2,231 of 2,857
It's funny, the silver color of my Asgard 3 has a slightly different hue than on the Bifrost and Lokius. It's more of a slightly golden hue that's hard to capture on camera, but you can kind of see the difference in the photo below. I don't mind the difference at all - actually I think that the golden hue looks kind of cool.
Asgard 3 Hue.JPG
Does the Lokius get really HOT sitting between the Asgard and the BiFrost?

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #2,232 of 2,857
Does the Lokius get really HOT sitting between the Asgard and the BiFrost?
I have the same stack (BF1 / Lokius / A3) with 1/2" rubber feet added to the bottom of both Lokius and A3; the stack runs barely warm, even left on 24/7. Plus a 5 year warranty on BF1 and A3. For me, 4 yrs on Lokius (2yrs from Schiit, + 2yrs extended warranty via the credit card)

Bottom right side of the A3 measures about 120F in 65F room, but that's where the output transistors are located, and normal for this unit. Jason had mentioned on the main thread (in engineerese) that the A3's output transistors were spec'd for higher max temperature rating. Likely this means these transistors are automotive qualified parts (and a car interior can easily exceed 150F in the sun with windows rolled up)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #2,235 of 2,857
I have had this amp for about a year and a half, and love it. Got it with 4490 DAC but wish I had purchased just the base model. It is situational, as it sounds best with an outboard DAC by far (I got the Spark), but you need to be sure that you can avoid ground loop as most standalone DACs in this range are two prong. For me, I saved a much-needed USB connection on my motherboard by using optical, and thus avoided the ground loop that was indeed present when checked using USB on the Spark for a bit. Not every motherboard has optical. It is one of the reasons I got that board. Anyway, the Asgard 3 is a needed piece of equipment for my Beyer T1.2 600ohm headphones, with its' four watts or whatever ridiculous power it has. Weighs like five pounds. Looks good in black. Heavy switches and good resistance on volume knob. The complaint about the power switch sticking out too far on the back is irrelevant because so does the power cord and RCAs etc, even further. I would like it off to one side if my fingers were big or I had a huge stack or messy desk space. Not really turning it off very often. Such a good deal at current price still. As far as sound goes, it sounds like it is powering my headphones with no loss of detail, just capable. Sounded great with Focal Elegia when I had those still functional, but they could've done with a JDS Atom or other lower power amp I'm pretty sure. I've spent a ton of time with this unit and its great, but figure out your DAC game or put it on top of the CD player, where mine can often be found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back