Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #1,876 of 2,863
When I hear the name Marantz I think 1990s and Crutchfield catalogs. That name drop does nothing for me. The fact is Schiit has moved to the newer (but not new) AKM4493 chip in their stand alones. For some reason their daughter boards are stuck with the 4490. Most likely because they did a large quantity order for them to lower the per unit chip cost and our still working off the inventory. At some point Schiit will update the boards with better chips and possibly the Unison reciever.
The chip itself is not the problem. It is how they implemented it. The main “issue” is that it outputs much lower voltage to their stand/alone DACs (1.6V vs 2V) which leads to lower output volume. This leads to a perceived difference in quality. Other than that, it is transparent. The 4490 can measure even better when implemented more efficiently as in the Atom DAC for example.

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #1,878 of 2,863
The chip itself is not the problem. It is how they implemented it. The main “issue” is that it outputs much lower voltage to their stand/alone DACs (1.6V vs 2V) which leads to lower output volume. This leads to a perceived difference in quality. Other than that, it is transparent. The 4490 can measure even better when implemented more efficiently as in the Atom DAC for example.

The measurements I've seen peg the output at about 1.4v. in any case I don't think that was the only issue. The measurements at ASR for the AK4490 module exhibit poor performance on a number of metrics. Doubtful that you can attribute the lackluster performance solely to the low output voltage. So it must, in the main, be due to poor and outdated implementation of the chip. Thus my point stands. There's no sense in buying the current sigma delta add-on card.

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #1,879 of 2,863
The measurements I've seen peg the output at about 1.4v. in any case I don't think that was the only issue. The measurements at ASR for the AK4490 module exhibit poor performance on a number of metrics. Doubtful that you can attribute the lackluster performance solely to the low output voltage. So it must, in the main, be due to poor and outdated implementation of the chip. Thus my point stands. There's no sense in buying the current sigma delta add-on card.
Yeah, have to agree, especially when Modi3+ exists for $50 less. It even measures pretty well.

I've been wondering when Schiit might update the DAC cards for asgard/jot/lyr, seems a bit overdue. Not that I need one now, but it would be good to be able to use the Asgard standalone somewhere else in the house, maybe on a trip away, or fingers crossed back at the office...

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #1,880 of 2,863

Other than the fact that it is only $100, sounds great, keeps the desktop neat, and can be upgraded at a future point very easily if there is a compelling reason to do so.

Did I mention it sounds great?

Bill

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #1,882 of 2,863
Has consider Asgard 3 for a long time.
Still waiting for a daccard With 2V output.
I probably goes for Schiit Hel. Can`t wait longer

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #1,884 of 2,863
Got my Schiit Asgard a few days ago. One thing I noticed is that the output seems weak. I'm using a pair of HD650. The gain is set to High on the Asgard. My dac has a hotter than average output at 2.1 volts. So I'm surprised that I gave to have the volume knob turned up past 3 o'clock for some albums.

I previously had a Magni 3 so I expected more power and more volume headroom.

Generally speaking the sound is better than the Magni 3. Smoother and heaftier. But I've always found the HD650 boring and it still sounds somewhat docile and sleepy with the Asgard 3.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #1,885 of 2,863
Runssical I'm using HD-650's with the Asgard TrueMultibit. At first I thought the high gain was the way to go. But, after trying the low gain with the vol. dial at 1:00 o'clock I found I like the sound better. Interestingly enough my other system, and old PS Audio GCHA, and Musical Fidelity M1 DAC hit the same position on the vol. knob.

I guess what I am saying is don't be afraid to crank it up a little more than you might expect. So what DAC are you using, I'm not clear on that?

Edit:

I forgot to add I’m using Tidal with the column on the app. set to be full on.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #1,886 of 2,863
Got my Schiit Asgard a few days ago. One thing I noticed is that the output seems weak. I'm using a pair of HD650. The gain is set to High on the Asgard. My dac has a hotter than average output at 2.1 volts. So I'm surprised that I gave to have the volume knob turned up past 3 o'clock for some albums.

Generally speaking the sound is better than the Magni 3. Smoother and heaftier. But I've always found the HD650 boring and it still sounds somewhat docile and sleepy with the Asgard 3.

Is the volume on the source turned up? And does your DAC have a volume control? On high gain, with the HD6XX, I never went past 9:00. I can't imagine hitting 3:00!

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #1,887 of 2,863
Is the volume on the source turned up? And does your DAC have a volume control? On high gain, with the HD6XX, I never went past 9:00. I can't imagine hitting 3:00!
Yeah...something's not right. Don't have to turn it anywhere near that far on mine (Bifrost OG for DAC)

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #1,888 of 2,863

sounds like some sort of digital volume control upstream (on the PC / digital source / DAC) side of things. remember to turn the A3 down, before making source settings adjustments (so you don't blow out your HP's or ears). gain and approx volume knob settings should be similar on Magni 3 vs Asgard 3 for the same gain settings.

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #1,889 of 2,863

Yes, my volume is 100% on Windows 10 Sound Control Panel for my spdif output. I use WASAPI exclusive mode with Foobar2K. My DAC is fed via Toslink cable.

9 o'clock with HD650 sounds like the polar opposite of my 3 o'clock reality.

As for troubleshooting, I have tried a different power supply for my DAC. I have also tried USB connection to the DAC to bypass my onboard audio driver. Niether experiment had any impact on volume.

The DAC doesn't seem to be the issue. I've had this dac for 10 years and it's never been a problem.

I think someone last week in the Sony Z7M2 Impression thread said they usually keep the volume knob at around 12 o'clock for the Z7M2. I have a version of that headphone and it's much easier to drive than the HD650. So if he needs the volume at 12 o'clock than it's logical that the HD650 is going to need more. I'm just surprised. The Magni seemed more powerful.

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #1,890 of 2,863
sounds like some sort of digital volume control upstream (on the PC / digital source / DAC) side of things. remember to turn the A3 down, before making source settings adjustments (so you don't blow out your HP's or ears). gain and approx volume knob settings should be similar on Magni 3 vs Asgard 3 for the same gain settings.

Maybe I already blew my ears out and I just don't realize it 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back