Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #1,801 of 2,863
I have an A3, A2, and Magni3+. have tried all 3 sourced from old CD player via S/PDIF coax into Bifrost Multibit OG, and A3 was the clear winner, driving a low-impedance (~16 ohms, ~92dB/mW) planar. Tone wise, Magni 3+ paired best with the Modi3+, but that combo is easily bested by the BF1 bimby / A3.

For Susvara, which is low impedance and very low efficiency 83dB???, the A3 with Continuity would be the way to go vs Jot 1. If you are not in a hurry to purchase, at some point the Multibit DAC module (that fits inside A3 Jot etc...) could possibly get upgraded to Unison USB interface.

You could get the A3 now, without the module, and order the Multibit DAC module at some later point (as self-install, extra shipping). IMO into tougher hp loads, the amp makes a big difference.

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #1,802 of 2,863
Stack Schiit - DX3pro for sale.
I will simplify the system for something better proof of future Susvara + HD600.
Kudos to Asgard 3, great amp.
If you're planning to get a Susvara I'd strongly suggest to not underestimate just how much power they require to be driven properly. It really doesn't behave like any other headphone I've tried when it comes to power. In my own experience, it didn't sound properly driven until I tried it on an amp with ~12 Watts on tap, and I was still turning the volume up past 3 o'clock to get to my ideal listening level (~85 dB SPL). Many Susvara owners even find it worthwhile to drive it with high-end speaker amps.

An Asgard 3 will definitely not suffice. A Jot 2, perhaps barely, but it doesn't really make sense to get headphones that retail for $6k and drive it with an amp that won't do them proper justice. I'd suggest at least something like a Flux Labs FA-10 if you're looking for an affordable amp that will drive Susvara's well with no intention of upgrading afterwards. If you choose to go with an A3/Jot2 anyways, you'd be better off with an Arya instead of a Susvara.

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #1,803 of 2,863
Asgard 3 vs Jotunheim 1 Multibit?
HE400i 2018 + HD560s :thinking:

Susvara is a TOTL (Top of The Line) headphone. If you can afford to, you should also consider a TOTL headphone amp and DAC. As for some of the best value components, if you want to go the solid state route, the Bryston BHA1 headphone amp can be had new for about $2000, and used for around a grand. The primary benefits are a 20 year transferable warranty, excellent build quality, balanced and single ended inputs and outputs, lots of power.

If you want to go the tube route, DNA Audio is a custom builder in California which at present
builds 3 different tube headphone amps: The Starlett ($2000), The Stratus ($4000 - $4500), and
the Stellaris (starting at about $7000). I recently had the opportunity to demo a Starlett for a month
and was so impressed that I plan on purchasing one in the future. You may want to contact
Donald North at Donald North Audio to ask him about how the Susvara would pair with his
amps. Google Donald North Audio. They are beautifully made, and take about 5 to 6 months
to receive once you have placed an order for one. I have never heard a better sounding headphone amp than the Starlett, and I am certain that the Stratus and Stellaris will only improve upon it.

As for Dacs, IMHO the law of diminishing returns comes quickly at the price point of the Schiit Modi Multibit and Schiit Modius.

They both offer incredible value for the money. Soekris Audio has also recently launched a new dac that has been receiving excellent reviews. I believe it's in the $1200 price range.

I think it's called the Soekris 2541. It's manufactured in the Netherlands.

Of course there are myriad choices of components in this hobby, and I have just
mentioned a few that are standouts because of their sound and build quality.

Best of luck with your journey in this enjoyable hobby! ☺

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #1,806 of 2,863
Susvara is a TOTL (Top of The Line) headphone. If you can afford to, you should also consider a TOTL headphone amp and DAC. As for some of the best value components, if you want to go the solid state route, the Bryston BHA1 headphone amp can be had new for about $2000, and used for around a grand. The primary benefits are a 20 year transferable warranty, excellent build quality, balanced and single ended inputs and outputs, lots of power.

If you want to go the tube route, DNA Audio is a custom builder in California which at present
builds 3 different tube headphone amps: The Starlett ($2000), The Stratus ($4000 - $4500), and
the Stellaris (starting at about $7000). I recently had the opportunity to demo a Starlett for a month
and was so impressed that I plan on purchasing one in the future. You may want to contact
Donald North at Donald North Audio to ask him about how the Susvara would pair with his
amps. Google Donald North Audio. They are beautifully made, and take about 5 to 6 months
to receive once you have placed an order for one. I have never heard a better sounding headphone amp than the Starlett, and I am certain that the Stratus and Stellaris will only improve upon it.

As for Dacs, IMHO the law of diminishing returns comes quickly at the price point of the Schiit Modi Multibit and Schiit Modius.

They both offer incredible value for the money. Soekris Audio has also recently launched a new dac that has been receiving excellent reviews. I believe it's in the $1200 price range.

I think it's called the Soekris 2541. It's manufactured in the Netherlands.

Of course there are myriad choices of components in this hobby, and I have just
mentioned a few that are standouts because of their sound and build quality.

Best of luck with your journey in this enjoyable hobby! ☺
I just ordered my Asgard 3 at Schiit.:beerchug:

Sold He400i + HD560s.:money_mouth:

Now it will be Asgard 3 and Sundara I hope to pair the A3 with an E30 topping any good suggestions for simple dac?

Sorry bad Inlges is not my native language.

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #1,808 of 2,863
I just ordered my Asgard 3 at Schiit.:beerchug:

Sold He400i + HD560s.:money_mouth:

Now it will be Asgard 3 and Sundara I hope to pair the A3 with an E30 topping any good suggestions for simple dac?

Sorry bad Inlges is not my native language.
Modi Multibit for an affordable R2R DAC (supports multiple inputs USB, S/PDIF RCA coaxial, optical toslink), otherwise Bifrost 2.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #1,809 of 2,863
A
I was happy with the built in multibit card others say they hear a difference in a stand alone I did not maybe my 60+ hearing.

What's important is that you're happy with how your headphone system sounds. It's easy to get caught
up in an endless cycle of chasing gear, while spending a lot of money doing so. And then forgetting about the
music. Sounds like you're happy with your system and enjoying music, which is what this hobby is
all about. ☺

Feb 6, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #1,810 of 2,863
Modi Multibit for an affordable R2R DAC (supports multiple inputs USB, S/PDIF RCA coaxial, optical toslink), otherwise Bifrost 2.

Soekris 2541 R2R dac for around $1200 is getting some very positive reviews. Not inexpensive, but a great value
for a near TOTL dac...

Feb 6, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #1,811 of 2,863
Don’t think they process orders on weekends.

I made both my orders on a weekend (it’s the wine made me do it!), but didn’t get shipping info until following Monday US time.

Still only took 6 or 7 days to get here from California, so pretty good really. Many others things I’ve purchased over the past 6 months have taken much longer.
Well my Asgard3 has finally shipped. I'm glad I hung in there. I can't wait to set-it up and burn it in! It had better shame my AudioQuest DragonFly Red and melt my two Apple HomePodMinis:wink:

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,813 of 2,863
I placed my Asgard order yesterday 5/2.

Are there delays, delays?
Jason Stoddard reported in his Schiit Company thread that there were many challenges they were facing, I think mostly due to the Pandemic. I truly believe this small and unique company deserves our continued support! My communications with them, regarding my order, have made me even more appreciative of their staff and company philosophy. When all is said and done they have great stuff that is worth a little wait if there are delays in orders!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back