Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #917 of 2,857
You misunderstood what he was saying, 70% of the pot doesn't mean 70% volume. Some people turn their amp up while turning the source volume down, or vice versa - max source volume and have low pot setting.

I have the A3 with LCD-2C and I can crank the volume up to just below 50%, after that it gets too loud. I have my OS volume at 100%. Would I benefit from turning down my OS volume in order to be able to use 70% of the pot on the amplifier?

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #918 of 2,857
I have the A3 with LCD-2C and I can crank the volume up to just below 50%, after that it gets too loud. I have my OS volume at 100%. Would I benefit from turning down my OS volume in order to be able to use 70% of the pot on the amplifier?

You wouldn't. Ideally, you'll want your digital source to be maxed, and your volume control to be on the analog side (i.e. using the pot on your amp.) Decreasing Windows' volume control also increases the noise floor (or, well, noise floor stays the same but the signal is quieter compared to it.)

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #919 of 2,857
You wouldn't. Ideally, you'll want your digital source to be maxed, and your volume control to be on the analog side (i.e. using the pot on your amp.) Decreasing Windows' volume control also increases the noise floor (or, well, noise floor stays the same but the signal is quieter compared to it.)

I see! I have no external DAC at the moment. Using the headphone out from my PC. But when I get the DAC, I assume the volume will change aswell. Depending on the line out voltage from the DAC is that correct?

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #920 of 2,857
I see! I have no external DAC at the moment. Using the headphone out from my PC. But when I get the DAC, I assume the volume will change aswell. Depending on the line out voltage from the DAC is that correct?

I'm a bit confused as to how you'd be using your headphone out to connect to the Asgard 3? :)

The output stage from an external DAC may have a different (probably higher) gain compared to your computer's built-in audio or soundcard, or even compared to the internal DAC card in your Asgard 3 if you have one. That would increase your perceived loudness at the same volume knob position.

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #921 of 2,857
I'm a bit confused as to how you'd be using your headphone out to connect to the Asgard 3? :)

The output stage from an external DAC may have a different (probably higher) gain compared to your computer's built-in audio or soundcard, or even compared to the internal DAC card in your Asgard 3 if you have one. That would increase your perceived loudness at the same volume knob position.

The line-out on the motherboard :)

Jan 18, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #922 of 2,857
Just had a quick question about low/high gain. In high gain does the asgard 3 output more power than low gain? Or is it just increasing the volume..

Also just a bit confused when people talk about the sound signature of the Asgard 3 and don't specify the DAC, wouldn't it be pretty different the AK4490 and the multibit? Or does Schiit house sound, or so I hear, of a little bass emphasis and slightly taking off the edge of treble implemented across both DACs?

Last night I was playing around with my Aeon Flow Closed and the Asgard 3 and I have to say this amp has have very good synergy with the original AFC. Especially electronic music sounded very good with the Asgard 3: Deep bass, lifelike midrange and smooth treble. Very nice!

Just curious were you using high or low gain on the AFC? Also did the Asgard 3 have multibit of AK4490 chip? Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #923 of 2,857
Just curious were you using high or low gain on the AFC? Also did the Asgard 3 have multibit of AK4490 chip? Thanks!

I use the High gain setting. I'm not sure what the sound differences are between the High and Low gain, but for me the Low gain setting means that I have to turn the volume knob up quite far to get to a comfortable listening volume.

I use the original Bifrost Multibit DAC. I haven't heard the Asgard 3 with any of the built-in DAC options, but I would venture that the 4490 would be similar to the Modi 3 and the multibit would be similar to the Modi Multibit. I use the Modi Multibit in my speaker system and I also have a Modi 3 just for fun so I could compare, but I prefer the Multibit version.

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #924 of 2,857
I use the High gain setting. I'm not sure what the sound differences are between the High and Low gain, but for me the Low gain setting means that I have to turn the volume knob up quite far to get to a comfortable listening volume.

I use the original Bifrost Multibit DAC. I haven't heard the Asgard 3 with any of the built-in DAC options, but I would venture that the 4490 would be similar to the Modi 3 and the multibit would be similar to the Modi Multibit. I use the Modi Multibit in my speaker system and I also have a Modi 3 just for fun so I could compare, but I prefer the Multibit version.

Ok, yea lowgain i'm at volume knob max on my Aeon Flow Open. So I've started using highgain. The Asgard 2 w/ multibit was a bit out of my range so I opted for the 4490.

Jan 19, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #925 of 2,857
In theory, turning down the OS volume may reduce resolution, but it's easy enough to try it and see if you actually hear a difference in sound quality. It might not make a noticeable difference because you are currently using the low quality DAC and headphone output of the motherboard. Both will be bypassed when you use an external DAC.

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #926 of 2,857
I have noticed a humming noise coming out from my asgard 3 with MB card.

I do not notice it directly after turning it on but more before I turn it off after a listening session (when it is warm).

I have tried to disconnect all cables exept the power cable to rule out other factors. The humming is there when nothing is connected.

Is this normal?

The noise is coming from the unit itself. I hear nothing out of the headphones.

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #928 of 2,857
Could it be the AC hum from the power supply? It would be either 50 or 60 Hz depending on your grid.

Yeah, sounds like that. But I got a shielded power cable connected to a good mains block. I know that NAIM gear for example often has this humming noise. Is this true for Schiit to?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #929 of 2,857
Yeah, sounds like that. But I got a shielded power cable connected to a good mains block. I know that NAIM gear for example often has this humming noise. Is this true for Schiit to?
Definitely not. I have had 7 different Schiit mid-sized units with transformers built in (115V) and have never had one that hummed. I would first rule out the power cable/mains block by plugging the Asgard 3 directly into the wall using the basic supplied cable. If you could test it in another house, it would be even better. If it still keeps making the humming sound and it is loud enough to bother you, I would then simply contact their support and tell them about it.

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #930 of 2,857
I have noticed a humming noise coming out from my asgard 3 with MB card.

I do not notice it directly after turning it on but more before I turn it off after a listening session (when it is warm).

I have tried to disconnect all cables exept the power cable to rule out other factors. The humming is there when nothing is connected.

Is this normal?

The noise is coming from the unit itself. I hear nothing out of the headphones.
I've never heard that humming in my A3 with MB card. I've used the power cable that came with the A3 adding an adapter that doesn't have the ground connector, and other power cable from my office with the 3 connectors and neither of them produced that noise.

The power here is 220v 50hz. Maybe that depends on the power supply for your country?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back