Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #782 of 2,857
Anyone try Modhouse Argon MK3's with Asgard 3? Those are notoriously hard to drive.
I was waffling between buying the Audeze LCD-XC (or is it CX, meh) and those fascinatingly modified Fostex T50 headphones (Modhouse [link to a fun review]). My gut's telling me the Asgard 3 will have NO problems driving those cans. The large volume knob (potentiometer?) will make fine volume control much easier than my Magni or Vali. The only issues I'd have with the Modhouse is having to wait for manufacturing, cross-USA-Canada shipping and possible waranty work.
Hi everyone, still combing through this tread. Looking to assemble a rig to buy in january for home use with the aeon flow 2 closed and hopefully a schiit product with their new unison dac card. Hard to choose through between all the models. Currently wavering between lyr 3 and asgard 3.
I would like to use the amps rca outputs with my powered speakers that have their own volume control. Is it correct that the outputs ARE controlled by the volume pot on the asgard 3 and that they are not controlled on the lyr 3?
Thanks in advance,
Greetings, Anouk,
Lyr 3 versus Asgard 3. Are you vacuum-tube curious? My instincts tell me if you enjoy fussing around with tubes (that eventually change their sound signature and/or eventually need to be replaced), go the Lyr 3 route. For consistency, the Asgard 3 all-transistor-solid-state system will do the trick.
Thanks for the clarification about the volume pot. Nice that the products are soc onfigurabnle. I could go the bifrost2 +amp only route and connect my powered speakers to the dac. I realize now.
Still the choice betweenthe asgard 3 lyr 3 or even the jotunheim is hard.
Any further advice would be appreciated.
Greetings, Anouk,
Jotunheim versus Asgard 3 versus Lyr 3. Does the maturity-of-the-technology come into play with you? Schiit's Lyr & Jotunheim are more mature technologies than the Asgard 3 (and I think the older Asgard2 was one of Schiit's first models when they started out). For me? I don't need/want the balanced XLR inputs/outputs, so I wouldn't want to spend my money on it. BTW - Schiit's return policy's very fair if you buy new units (you can try a unit out... if you don't like its sound... exchange it for another model and pay the difference).
My 2 cents = Go Jotunheim, if you want to play around with advanced cabling in the future (or if you suffer from a lot of electromagnetic interference). Go Lyr 3 if you want to mess around with tubes (my Valhalla 2 has 4 tubes... and that's enough for me [I've heard users comment that the Lyr's like an upgraded Vali 2])... a Lyr 3 has only 1 tube to replace... cheaper than maintaining my Valhalla). Go Asgard 3 if you want a modular, or all-in-one (DAC/amp) option. My 3 cents = I think you'll be happy with any 3 of them. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
It would be helpful to know your preferences. What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of sound signature are you going for? Is budget a consideration at all?
+1 ... @jnak00 's is right on the money. I agree -- these 3 heaphone-amps should have slightly different signatures. A musician-buddy of mine uses a different amps for different genres he listens to. Indeed, how restrictive is your budget?

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #783 of 2,857
Hello Folks Just received the Asgard 3 24 hours back from Fedex. I was using a CHifi Aune X1s but I knew from a year this is not the sound I am looking. Anyways Asgard 3 brought my DT 770 Pro and Monolith M560 to a new level. But But But. I installed everything and then was checking the switched Low-high gain and the output selector . As soon as I turn th output selector it just came out and dropped inside the amp. I turned off everything just to make sure nothing gets short. I opened the amp and found that the switch was not at all soldered whereas the gain selector is soldered strong. This Output switch was just sitting there. I pressed it same way and turned it to Headphone Mode now. Have anyone of you saw this. its sad to see such a top product with such a quality where I just used it for first time and switch falls apart. Problem is I ordered directly from Schiit website as the Local Authorized distributor in Hong Kong would take sometime to get it. I have emailed Schiit support and lets see what they have to say about this. Just be careful anyone new ordering to check the switches.

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #785 of 2,857
My Asgard 3 produces two types of background noise at present. A hiss, which I can only hear from with the volume knob above 3 o'clock on Lo gain (12 o'clock on Hi gain), and a persistent hum that I can hear at about the same levels but seems to vary in intensity depending on my computer's load. The humming disappears if I disconnect the USB cable from the Asgard 3, whereas the hiss persists. My hope is that an isolator such as the iFi Defender 3.0 will get rid of the humming noise. The hiss is more subdued and doesn't seem to increase if I'm, say, gaming—so I can live with it (though I would prefer the amp to be dead silent on Lo gain even at max volume.)
24 hours since I got it apart from the switch issue that my unit has I have the exact same problem of humming as you mentioned.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #792 of 2,857
Indeed, it is a desktop. Changing motherboard would be a pinch to the wallet as it would require a change of CPU, RAM, and OS to go with it—and with no guarantee I’d have complete silence to boot. If the iFi Defender doesn’t work, I’ll figure it out :-\

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #793 of 2,857
If you use the idefender, i highly suggest using an external 5v power supply before you rule it out. After thatn may be worth trying an isilencer/jitterbug in series or alone with your setup.

Personally I feel my sound degraded in dynamics and air when using the idefender. But when i used external power IIRC it was an improvement.

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #794 of 2,857
I ordered the A3 with the wrong power cord plug, so I'm using an adapter that doesn't even have the ground connection and I can't hear any humm.

Something must be wrong in the wires of your home.
Thanks for your reply. Let me run directly to the wall and see. I have an Aune Dac amp running and never heard a thing past 1 year. Plus my Asgard 3 unit is without the DAC

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #795 of 2,857
Thanks for your reply. Let me run directly to the wall and see. I have an Aune Dac amp running and never heard a thing past 1 year. Plus my Asgard 3 unit is without the DAC
I just turned off the DAC--Sound very minimal. Unplugged the DAC from PC----Sound Gone---- Connected the Asgard without and DAC----Sound Gone. It seems like even if DAC is turned off the Sound is coming from the USB. AS soon as I unplug the USB cab e DAC turned on/off sound goes away. Asgard 3 is not at fault it seems and its the USB. I will try with another cable and see how this goes. Anyways next month was a new DAC and not this Aune garbage.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back