Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #737 of 2,857
You don't need to burn it in - it's like a laptop. You don't burn in a laptop, do you? Different power cords? No - the one it was supplied with works fine. What sort of difference were you expecting?

Talking from experience or is it just something you have read or a feeling you have? I think that most people who have tried enough stuff would not disregard burn-in. Sometimes it makes a massive impact, sometimes the change is only marginal. And yeah power cords can make a big difference, but it is up to you if it is worth the cost. I would really suggest that you borrow a couple of cables and find out for yourself.

Nov 14, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #739 of 2,857
No reason in turning this tread into a burn-in och cable debate tread. It is your choice to be all against it and not willing to try. But there is clearly other opinions out there to. My view is that there is no loss in trying.

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #741 of 2,857
I've been using computers for 40 years and I've never once heard anyone suggest they get better after you'd used them for a bit. Solid state amps are made of the same stuff. Why would they act any different? Show me a sensibly-run study which demonstrates an improvement in sound.

Re: cables - no I won't be wasting my time with that. There's like miles of cabling from the generator to your amp but the last metre or two makes a difference? Even in theory, why would that be possible? It just doesn't make any sense. Do you have a study for this too? The fact you think I can "find out for myself" (unless you're suggesting I get two identical systems which differ only by the mains cable and get someone else to switch between them without me knowing which is which, and doing this many times to get some figures) demonstrates that you're unfamiliar with the placebo effect; if you think a magic cable sounds better it WILL sound better.
This is exactly what I think.

In other hand, changing your cable from the place the analog signal is created (the DAC/Amp) to your headphones is a different story. And even with that, a decent OFC cable like the ones supplied with most decent headphones brands should be enough to get the best of them, and that's why I don't mind the Asgard 3 not having balanced output.

Same with my USB $7 dollars cable. It sends the digital data, period. I can't hear any background noise on this Amp, it's dead silent to me.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #742 of 2,857
I don't know what a "burn-in och cable debate tread" is. I'm here to learn (and I keep an eye on Asgard 3 threads because I just bought one). Opinions don't enter into it when it's something which - were it to exist could be measured. It's a bit like homeopathy. It doesn't matter whether you're "against it" or have "other opinions". It just doesn't work. The science doesn't support it in terms of how it might work, and there's no data that shows that it's any better than a placebo either. Burn-in, directional cables etc - it's just not true. Or do you think your laptop gets faster and more accurate once you've used Microsoft Word for a few weeks? There's a lot of great info on this site, but there's also a lot of woo which is a shame as it makes it a lot harder to take people's opinions at face value.

Like i already stated, I do not want to have a argumentation with you. I've seen the same arguments and rhetoric in many threads before. It is pointless for me to say anything more about it. If you want to learn and find out for yourself, all I can say it give it a try. Many have changed opinions after actually trying it. And if you don't find any difference, all good to you. Then you can spend more money on records instead.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #743 of 2,857
Someone said here that uses an EQ software with the Asgard for his Focal cans, can't remember the name of the software but when i checked it, it had an EQ and other virtualization stuff like Razer virtual surround, Creative CMSS and others.

Does anyone know it?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #744 of 2,857
That was me—the software is HeSuVi, an interface for Equalizer APO. If you’re on Windows 10, you could use it to get virtual surround from Netflix as well (think there’s a YouTube video about it.)

Virtual surround/HRTF should work well with games as well—especially older ones that used to support hardware HRTF.

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #745 of 2,857
That was me—the software is HeSuVi, an interface for Equalizer APO. If you’re on Windows 10, you could use it to get virtual surround from Netflix as well (think there’s a YouTube video about it.)

Virtual surround/HRTF should work well with games as well—especially older ones that used to support hardware HRTF.

Thank you! UwU

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #747 of 2,857
I don't know what a "burn-in och cable debate tread" is. I'm here to learn (and I keep an eye on Asgard 3 threads because I just bought one). Opinions don't enter into it when it's something which - were it to exist could be measured. It's a bit like homeopathy. It doesn't matter whether you're "against it" or have "other opinions". It just doesn't work. The science doesn't support it in terms of how it might work, and there's no data that shows that it's any better than a placebo either. Burn-in, directional cables etc - it's just not true. Or do you think your laptop gets faster and more accurate once you've used Microsoft Word for a few weeks? There's a lot of great info on this site, but there's also a lot of woo which is a shame as it makes it a lot harder to take people's opinions at face value.
Dogs are able to listen to audio frequencies you don't, does it mean the dog hearing is not true? Just because you don't believe something or you are not capable of experiencing it does't mean it's not true.
Engines need break in period to output it's full power. But they are another thing entirely, as does computers are to audio equipment. Comparing both is apples to oranges.
I don't hear differences in cables, or, not so far, at least. But I can't say others are telling lies, they may be better than me at hearing, as I'm better that others at tasting or smelling. We are not all made equal.

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #749 of 2,857
Can't speak for that headphone/software but I find that with the asgard 3 and the hd660s i benefit from a very slight boost to some of the higher frequencies. It's not as bright as the hd595 headphones I've had for over 10 years. I read a fair bit about the amp/dac and the headphones before I bought them and as you might imagine I read just about every flavour of nonsense; the amp is warm/clinical, the headphones are bright/dark/veiled. It seems there's a description for everyone! I did briefly try the headphones with different sources but in the end I bought them to use exclusively with the amp being driven from a raspberry pia via usb so I don't care how they sound elsewhere. I'm interested to know how other's are tweaking the sound of their hd660s/asgard 3 (how as in both "what are you doing with the eq" and "how are you applying the eq"). I'm listening via kodi, and the pulseaudio equalizer.
I have the same Headphones and the Asgard 3 with MB card, but I'm not using any EQ for now.

I would not bump the higher frequencies as I find them just perfect with these cans and the A3. My creative PC card is a bit brighter and it causes me fatigue after 20 or more minutes using it.

I'd like to try giving it a bit of more warmness if I don't lose much details for certain music genres, so I don't know if we can agree with the EQ thing as I seem to be more sensitive to higher frequencies.

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #750 of 2,857
EQ-wise, I'm using the AutoEQ preset for my cans to align them to the Harman Target Curve and I'm enjoying that a lot.

Appreciate not everyone's going to like the Harman Target Curve (although it seems to draw the appreciation of most), but it sounds very pleasant to me—more so than my cans do when not EQ'd. It's free of charge and easy to try, so I would certainly recommend it at least as a starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back