Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #526 of 2,863
I always heard HD6XX sounds better with the Darkvoice $199 OTL amp. those headphones were meant for OTL, but that is just opinion.
I heard the same, so I bought them 1 year ago a Little Dot MKii tube amp with Russian tubes. Sadly, i was not able to hear any difference ever with matched volume between the tube amp and directly connected to my soundblaster PC card.

Oct 3, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #527 of 2,863
Thinking of getting a A3 for my DT880Pro and ATH-M50x. Should I get the addon like the USB or Multibit? Any different between these two?

Oct 3, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #528 of 2,863
I wasn't sure if it was a myth or not, just seemed to be an overwhelming response of people on forums saying use OTL with HD650 and HD600, never heard it myself, but the community seemed to think it was best for a long time.

I really love my HD58X on a hybrid tube. HD58X is probably my all time favorite headphone... not sure why, it just does everything right to my ears, I like it more than HD650 and HD700.
I don't think it is a myth, just not a guaranteed outcome, for some there can be no doubt that tubes with those headphones do it for them. I personally did believe I heard the added warmth introduced by the "pleasing" harmonic distortion that tube architectures can introduce. I would say that you should, when you get a chance to own or even just audition try it out and see how you respond. I must admit to not having any experience with tube hybrid amps. I have read many impressions of course with some saying the hybrid didn't sound different than pure solid state, but others would counter it depends on the design and tubes and just how influential the tube section was allowed to be.

So please, don't take my response as anything but a single data point, and for the record I do believe that I did hear a difference with my OTL, and a difference that I liked, just not one that I preferred.

I often think about trying the HD 58x Jubilee, it sounds like money well spent from almost every impression that I have read. I can't recall a single person not as a minimum thinking the value was excellent.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #529 of 2,863
I have read many impressions of course with some saying the hybrid didn't sound different than pure solid state, but others would counter it depends on the design and tubes and just how influential the tube section was allowed to be.

It is probably different from amp to amp, but I can say that the Lyr3 certainly allows the tube to affect the sound. The difference between a Melz1578 and the reissue Tung-Sol 6SN7 is (to my ears at least) literally night and day.

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #530 of 2,863
Second post here. I came here to follow Asgard 3. Never had a headphone amp. Think I want a less colored SS, rather than tube. To hear more headphone than amp. I have a tube integrated amp for 2-channel. Although the Darkvoice 336SE is rumoured to be nice.

I have a Modi multibit and a couple SMSL Sanskrit 6th dacs available to pair with one. Think I would buy with second RCA card, if shows up again at reasonable cost. A second input flexability would be nice. Or $100, 4490 dac built in for simplicity. $200 multibit option seems a little steep, IMO. As much as base amp!

I also have 2 Lokis, which are fantastic!!! Fan of Schiit products.

I currently stream using a Chromecast Audio with fiberoptic cable. And Asgard 3 dacs not compatible, with only USB offered. Drawback of small form factor. Hard choices to be made. If Schiit offered umpteen options, chances are inventory etc costs would have to be passed on.

Using Asgard as a pre-amp has possibilities for me. I don't have powered speakers. So would require a small power amp to drive some Canton bookshelf speakers. For bedroom system. Not sure of compatability of output with power amps. A question for another thread. Don't want to hijack this one.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #531 of 2,863
+1 on a DAC card utilizing optical/toslink. I asked for one of those last year on the Schiit happened thread, got crickets. Glad I'm not the only one interested in one. Toslink is the most common mass consumer output around. It's on most everything a guy buys. Game console/tv/DVD/Blu-ray/HT Receiver, etc.

We aren't all PC and desk users. A lot of us use this schiit in our homes, and with various sources.

++1 on a DAC in a Bifrost sized chassis, I asked about this on the Schiit happened thread when Bifrost 2 released. I have an old gen 1 Bifrost. It looks and sounds great.

@Jason Stoddard, how expensive is the autonomy chassis compared to the Asgard chassis. I think a D/S DAC in the Bifrost chassis with the possibility of upgrades could be appealing. No biggie if it doesn't work.

Can you do a unison USB, discrete 4490 D/S DAC in a Asgard/Bifrost/Lyr form factor for less then 300? I think that would be really really cool. Bonus points if it has multiple out jacks, SE is fine by me.

Asgard 3 sounds pretty appealing, loving all of the comments.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #532 of 2,863
+1 on a DAC card utilizing optical/toslink. I asked for one of those last year on the Schiit happened thread, got crickets. Glad I'm not the only one interested in one. Toslink is the most common mass consumer output around. It's on most everything a guy buys. Game console/tv/DVD/Blu-ray/HT Receiver, etc.

I agree on the optical, at bare minimum. Also a Multi-bit HDMI based device would be awesome too. Add in bluetooth for late night tv listening with headphone, I would by that!!

Oct 4, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #533 of 2,863
Yeah I think Schiit has to start thinking outside the strict audiophile box, and start thinking about what kind of devices most people have. Optical is easily the most common output, and it doesn't require special drivers.

I would've thought it was obvious that having an add in optical card, and it be advertised would get some hits. I mean where someone is simply attaching an Asgard directly to a TV or a home receiver that has everything connected to it, it's easily the simplest solution.

Hell, I'd probably even jump to a Lyr 3 if the optical add in card existed.

I think the last time you guys had something like this and it didn't sell was likely because you guys didn't advertise it right. Which is odd since you guys do a FANTASTIC job on making people wanna but your schiit.

"Y'all want the simplicity of one device for multimedia that extends past simple audiophile playback? With our optical add in card, you can hook up your Asgard, Lyr, etc, to a TV, receiver, game console, hell, maybe even a toaster, and get fantastic, clean audio at up to 24-bit/192hz. No additional dac necessary. Schiit so simple, even your child can do it.

This effectively replaces a receiver and becomes a one device hub for your audio needs."

Something like that...

USB can't do that. Coaxial is more or less extinct. Analog inputs no longer exist on many TVs or consoles, and are at the mercy of their questionable onboard DACs.

I mean, test it out with the 4490. See if it sticks. Just do us a favor and ADVERTISE.

Oh, and make sure people know to turn off Dolby Digital/DTS/5.1 on their source, lol.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #534 of 2,863
I do think that the forthcoming Fulla 3, Hel, and the recently released Ragnarok show they already think outside the box.

Those seem like cool products for the community that has Schiits ear.

All we can do is speak up and hope Schiit thinks there is enough people in the other box to make it worth their while.

Myself and others are still hoping to see a revision in preout function on rag 2 (just give us a toggle switch or maybe make it a remote function, with a revised remote), but like they have said, not everyone will like all of their products all of the time. That's ok too.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #535 of 2,863
When using an iPod/iPhone/iPad with the Modi 3, you will need to use the included MicroUSB cable and 5W power-supply/charger, or you can any MicroUSB cable and 5W (or greater) power-supply/charger of your choice, and plug it into the Power Input MicroUSB port on the back of the Modi 3.

And if you want to charge your iPad while you use it, you will need -

Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F7KJDIM/
Lightning to USB cable - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDPQ1HZ/
USB 2.0 A-Male to Micro B Charger Cable - https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Male-Micro-Cable-Black/dp/B07232M876/
10W USB charger - https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-One-Port-USB-Wall-Charger/dp/B0773J79KC/

Thank you for promptly confirming what I thought I’d read.

I hope the inconvenience of the multiple cables and extra charger seem worth it after I hear the results.

But, I sure would pay an extra $100 for wireless input in Modi, just for the convenience. :)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #536 of 2,863
Yeah I think Schiit has to start thinking outside the strict audiophile box, and start thinking about what kind of devices most people have. Optical is easily the most common output, and it doesn't require special drivers.

I would've thought it was obvious that having an add in optical card, and it be advertised would get some hits. I mean where someone is simply attaching an Asgard directly to a TV or a home receiver that has everything connected to it, it's easily the simplest solution.

Hell, I'd probably even jump to a Lyr 3 if the optical add in card existed.

I think the last time you guys had something like this and it didn't sell was likely because you guys didn't advertise it right. Which is odd since you guys do a FANTASTIC job on making people wanna but your schiit.

"Y'all want the simplicity of one device for multimedia that extends past simple audiophile playback? With our optical add in card, you can hook up your Asgard, Lyr, etc, to a TV, receiver, game console, hell, maybe even a toaster, and get fantastic, clean audio at up to 24-bit/192hz. No additional dac necessary. Schiit so simple, even your child can do it.

This effectively replaces a receiver and becomes a one device hub for your audio needs."

Something like that...

USB can't do that. Coaxial is more or less extinct. Analog inputs no longer exist on many TVs or consoles, and are at the mercy of their questionable onboard DACs.

I mean, test it out with the 4490. See if it sticks. Just do us a favor and ADVERTISE.

Oh, and make sure people know to turn off Dolby Digital/DTS/5.1 on their source, lol.

I guess that's why they have the Bifrost with a remote controller. I really don't see myself (or many other people for the matter) moving from the couch to where the TV is just to change the volume on the pot.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #537 of 2,863
The Asgard 3 with the Universal Multibit Card is an Excellent, Mid Fi, One Box Solution. All the options recent posters are lamenting about are covered by other products in the line (they sell preamps). For the money I doubt you can do better and if you can I bet you don't get a five year warranty and its made in the USA. I works great as a preamp with my JBL 3 series powered monitors and it sounds great with my phones.

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #538 of 2,863
The Asgard 3 with the Universal Multibit Card is an Excellent, Mid Fi, One Box Solution. All the options recent posters are lamenting about are covered by other products in the line (they sell preamps). For the money I doubt you can do better and if you can I bet you don't get a five year warranty and its made in the USA. I works great as a preamp with my JBL 3 series powered monitors and it sounds great with my phones.

Made in USA doesn’t make a product better. Many of us are also not Americans, so this shouldn’t really count as a good thing in general. The warranty on the other hand is pretty nice.

Oct 5, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #539 of 2,863
Made in USA doesn’t make a product better. Many of us are also not Americans, so this shouldn’t really count as a good thing in general. The warranty on the other hand is pretty nice.

Where do you prefer your products to be manufactured?

Oct 5, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #540 of 2,863
I'm a US guy, and honestly I'm just happy when I can buy stuff that isn't made in China.

I like Schiit because of their personalities, and the fact that they make the stuff themselves. If they were based elsewhere, I'd still find them appealing. If they just sent the specs off to some overseas contract manufacturing company, and had them do All the production, I'd find them less appealing. The USA deal is just a cherry on top for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back