Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #496 of 2,863
With so much power in the Asgard 3, how sensitive is the volume knob? I currently only have Grado 125i and At50s which are both easy to drive. I'm afraid the high power in this amp may be more than I ever need but I like the form factor better than the Magni 3 (along with the few reports that seem to say it sounds a bit better.)

I'm evaluating whether an amp is right for me now or if I should go for DT1990 first and see if my Mobo can drive them. Can't really justify buying both right now so it's chicken or the egg really. I don't know if an amp will really help my current cans but I know it will help the next set I intend to buy.

Sep 30, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #498 of 2,863
With so much power in the Asgard 3, how sensitive is the volume knob? I currently only have Grado 125i and At50s which are both easy to drive. I'm afraid the high power in this amp may be more than I ever need but I like the form factor better than the Magni 3 (along with the few reports that seem to say it sounds a bit better.)

I'm evaluating whether an amp is right for me now or if I should go for DT1990 first and see if my Mobo can drive them. Can't really justify buying both right now so it's chicken or the egg really. I don't know if an amp will really help my current cans but I know it will help the next set I intend to buy.

The volume pot on this thing is fantastic. There is a tiny bit of channel imbalance at extremely low volumes on high gain - basically low enough to be nearly inaudible, and if you use low gain it's not an issue at all. I use it on high gain with the volume at approx 7:30. Bottom of the knob is 7:00, so I'm barely about zero and it's fine.

Sep 30, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #499 of 2,863
So I'd been using the THX AAA 789 for the month since receiving it, thinking it would replace my Asgard 2 if I liked it. During this time the Asgard 3 was announced alongside the Bifrost 2 and I went to Schiitr to take a listen and really liked both a lot -- I went more to check out the BF2 than the Asgard 3 as the 789 made me a happy camper at the time.

Something was bugging me about the 789 after awhile though -- everything felt oddly 'flat' or somehow compressed or lacking dynamics. I initially thought it was a huge improvement over the Asgard 2, but then switching back to the A2 I found that while my issues with it remained (it's kinda shouty, not great as far as clarity) it actually trumped the 789 in slam and impact and overall timbre (mids sounded better overall). Somehow the bass seemed to reach deeper, too -- the 789 had a more defined midbass so far as bass drum hits went, but there was just something 'narrow' sounding about it. With both 789 and A2 on tap I was actually plugging into the A2 more than the 789: something seemed wrong with this picture.

Anyway, decided to take this cue to drop by Schiitr again and buy an A3 (I have a BF2 on backorder while they sort out their manufacturing issues); am listening now and it's really, really, really solid. It's a huge improvement over the A2 insofar as resolution and clarity -- it's really a phenomenally crisp-sounding amplifier -- without losing any of its really excellent timbre and musculature. It's heads and shoulders better than the 789 as far as musicality goes, but for reasons I find difficult to quantify with adjectives and descriptors. The more time I spent with it, the more the 789 seemed to sound 'square', or clipped or rounded-off. The dynamics of the music seemed somehow more compressed -- snares and cymbals and electric guitars didn't 'pop' out of the soundscape the way I was used to; you heard them fine, the detail was there, but they seemed seated within the soundscape, rather than ever being imbued with the energy to rise out of it in a normal way.

I do wish it were balanced, especially since the BF2 has balanced out now -- but maybe that's something for the Jotunheim 2 to tackle. I think if they bring this newfound sound signature (read: cleaner background and less shoutiness) to the Jotunheim line it could make for a really ****ing amazing amplifier. Schiit has really upped their game with these latest two releases and I think once more people hear these products with their own two ears they'll realize Schiit is far from obsolete in the audio game.
Excellent review! :metal:

I think you nailed what makes the Asgard 3 such a great sounding amp, especially when it's compared to some of the more 'technical' sounding amps out there.

It has every bit as much resolution as the THX-based amps have but it presents all that detail in a more organic and enjoyable way. Jason's new Continuity output stage is really something special! :ksc75smile:

And as far as balanced operation goes (for both input and output), I think it's pretty overrated. Sure, it has the ability to give you that last 1-2%, but it's nothing to lose sleep over IMHO. :sleeping:

Sep 30, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #500 of 2,863
Excellent review! :metal:

I think you nailed what makes the Asgard 3 such a great sounding amp, especially when it's compared to some of the more 'technical' sounding amps out there.

It has every bit as much resolution as the THX-based amps have but it presents all that detail in a more organic and enjoyable way. Jason's new Continuity output stage is really something special! :ksc75smile:

And as far as balanced operation goes (for both input and output), I think it's pretty overrated. Sure, it has the ability to give you that last 1-2%, but it's nothing to lose sleep over IMHO. :sleeping:

Re: Balanced, yeah, I'd say even if it were merely an XLR output ala the CTH that'd be great, just for convenience sake. Not a dealbreaker, especially when the amp sounds this great.

Also an update: The HD600 does not display any special synergy with the Asgard 3. It still sounds nice but it doesn't do anything special like it does with say an OTL... which is to be expected, I suppose.

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #501 of 2,863
I'm curious how the A3 sounds with inefficient planars? In particular, the HE-500 or even HE-6? I've heard the HE-6 does okay with the Jotunheim balanced, and the A3 power output is close.

Oct 1, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #502 of 2,863
I'm interested in getting an A3 with an rca card... bit it looks like the $20 cards have been pulled. Will the add on RCA cards come back?

I already have 3 DACS, so I've been saving up for one priced between a Modi 3 and a bifrost, but I still want it to be some good schiit (I can wait)

Oct 1, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #503 of 2,863
I'm interested in getting an A3 with an rca card... bit it looks like the $20 cards have been pulled. Will the add on RCA cards come back?

I already have 3 DACS, so I've been saving up for one priced between a Modi 3 and a bifrost, but I still want it to be some good schiit (I can wait)

A3 comes with RCA connects by default

Oct 2, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #504 of 2,863
A3 comes with RCA connects by default
He was referring to the Line level card that gives the A3 2 sets of inputs. It was only available for about a week.

Oct 2, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #508 of 2,863
Yep, if you go back in this thread there was mention of it not fitting very well.

that was me that mentioned it. indeed it has an extremely tight fit, someone def measured something wrong. really sucks I should have not had to pay 5% restocking fee imo but oh well

Oct 2, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #510 of 2,863
that was me that mentioned it. indeed it has an extremely tight fit, someone def measured something wrong. really sucks I should have not had to pay 5% restocking fee imo but oh well
The RCA card was originally designed for Ragnarok 2 (the base configuration without optional modules). I think they assumed that it should simply drop into the slot of other products and they made it available separately, but it didn't work out. As for your restocking fee, I feel they should have given you full refund including shipping because it was their mistake. Did you bring it up with them? They have demonstrated a good attitude about doing the right thing for customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back