Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #571 of 2,862
Well you have 38 pages to read, have fun

Thank you for your constructive and not at all pointless and overtly condescending comment! I actually intended to respond to a specific member that posted a few posts ago but neglected to insert the quote. I’m sorry to have unduly notified you.

Let’s try this again.

I received my new Drop 6xx, Asgard 3, and Modi 3 4490.

I forgot to add RCA cable for A3 <-> M3 to my Schiit order. I have cheap ones at home, but don’t want to start listening if y’all think I should get decent interconnect first.

If you have strong opinion on RCA cable, please suggest one of these, or another you swear by.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DI89I04/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_27FNDb31WX7ST

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7SGD6E/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_q.FNDbWT8Q545

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016QVZF06/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_KaGNDbV4QFN16

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M8JW3RJ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BdGNDb4T512MZ

Interested in hearing what you think of the 6xx/Asgard/modi combination.

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #572 of 2,862
Thank you for your constructive and not at all pointless and overtly condescending comment! I actually intended to respond to a specific member that posted a few posts ago but neglected to insert the quote. I’m sorry to have unduly notified you.

Let’s try this again.

Interested in hearing what you think of the 6xx/Asgard/modi combination.

MiddestFi, I’m probably the least qualified on this thread to respond. I’ve had reasonably good home and car stereo components all my life, but never approaching audiophile headphones/amps. My long-time headphones, which I only used in rare situations, were Sony MDR-V6. Also, I can’t compare Asgard to other headphone amps, since I don’t yet have one.

I’ve listened to my new setup for ~8 hours over the last two days, including a bit of A/B testing. I have a lot more hours ahead to become a better critical listener and gain the vocabulary to describe my experience.

Here are my novice thoughts so far after comparing combinations:

MDR plugged straight into first-gen iPad Pro: wonder how I enjoyed much on these all this time. Harsh in mid-high range. Very little low end.

MDR plugged into Modi/Asgard: much improvement all around.

6xx plugged straight into iPad: OH MY GOD!! Clarity, definition, range.

6xx plugged into Modi/Asgard: Still need more listening time and material to describe any improvements I’m noticing.

Someone on this thread suggested I put $ into better cans vs. 6xx with DAC/amp, but I went with the majority opinion. I’m not sure yet if that was the right call for me at this juncture.

Oh, and as everyone else has said, 6xx has practically no sub bass, even with Asgard.

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #573 of 2,862
MiddestFi, I’m probably the least qualified on this thread to respond. I’ve had reasonably good home and car stereo components all my life, but never approaching audiophile headphones/amps. My long-time headphones, which I only used in rare situations, were Sony MDR-V6. Also, I can’t compare Asgard to other headphone amps, since I don’t yet have one.

I’ve listened to my new setup for ~8 hours over the last two days, including a bit of A/B testing. I have a lot more hours ahead to become a better critical listener and gain the vocabulary to describe my experience.

Here are my novice thoughts so far after comparing combinations:

MDR plugged straight into first-gen iPad Pro: wonder how I enjoyed much on these all this time. Harsh in mid-high range. Very little low end.

MDR plugged into Modi/Asgard: much improvement all around.

6xx plugged straight into iPad: OH MY GOD!! Clarity, definition, range.

6xx plugged into Modi/Asgard: Still need more listening time and material to describe any improvements I’m noticing.

Someone on this thread suggested I put $ into better cans vs. 6xx with DAC/amp, but I went with the majority opinion. I’m not sure yet if that was the right call for me at this juncture.

Oh, and as everyone else has said, 6xx has practically no sub bass, even with Asgard.

Thanks for your response! I’m also getting started with headphones (my hd6xx are in the mail currently) so we’re probably on the same level of knowledge and experience on this particular front which is fine with me! If something is a noticeable improvement then it’s a noticeable improvement. If you get a few minutes (and have the ability) listen to the Ára bátur by Sigur Ros. The last couple minutes get very big and very layered and I’m wondering how clearly the Asgard separates each of the instruments as they’re added.

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #574 of 2,862
Thanks for your response! I’m also getting started with headphones (my hd6xx are in the mail currently) so we’re probably on the same level of knowledge and experience on this particular front which is fine with me! If something is a noticeable improvement then it’s a noticeable improvement. If you get a few minutes (and have the ability) listen to the Ára bátur by Sigur Ros. The last couple minutes get very big and very layered and I’m wondering how clearly the Asgard separates each of the instruments as they’re added.

I’ll give that track a few listens.

I’m a huge Sigur Ros fan, and have already tried the recent Agaetis Byrjun anniversary remaster. My new setup reveals/exposes sounds I hadn’t heard all these years, but that also includes “warts and all” in the recording & mastering. That goes for a bunch of other tracks I thought I knew like the back of my hand.

Oct 12, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #575 of 2,862
I’ll give that track a few listens.

I’m a huge Sigur Ros fan, and have already tried the recent Agaetis Byrjun anniversary remaster. My new setup reveals/exposes sounds I hadn’t heard all these years, but that also includes “warts and all” in the recording & mastering. That goes for a bunch of other tracks I thought I knew like the back of my hand.

Oh, and by the way, one of the tracks I used to test sub bass is Sigur Ros - Fyrsta. On my Marantz receiver and Klipsch subwoofer, that sub bass washes over me and penetrates my flesh. It’s just not present on this headphone system.

Oct 12, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #576 of 2,862
Oh, and by the way, one of the tracks I used to test sub bass is Sigur Ros - Fyrsta. On my Marantz receiver and Klipsch subwoofer, that sub bass washes over me and penetrates my flesh. It’s just not present on this headphone system.

Sounds like I’m talking to the right person! I have a pair of beyerdynamic dt770s that have a hefty amount of sub bass but unfortunately that’s kind of all they have going for them haha. I got the hd6xx’s because I wanted something with a smoother more relaxed (not not sloppy) response while I shop around for something bombastic but still resolving sounding.

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #577 of 2,862
I’m interested in your thoughts on this rig. I just bought a pair of hd6xx and I have the modi3/Asgard 3 on my short list of amp/dacs I’m looking at.

I just received the Asgard 3 with the built-in 4490 DAC, and the HD660S headphones, connected to an Android phone or a Chromebook via a USB lead. I have nothing specific to compare them against as I came from just using Sennheiser HD595 or Sony WH CH700N headphones connected to an Android phone. But I can tell you that it's the best quality I've ever heard. I've been listening exclusively to FLAC files. It's utterly silent, even on high gain and full volume, other than source hiss, and of course you don't ever need it that loud on the 150 ohm headphones. Depending on the source you might be able to get away with low gain all the time. I can't hear any difference. There's something nice about how effortlessly and smoothly the volume increases on an analogue knob after so long using digital devices with discrete steps so it just feels better for that reason using low gain. I read a review of the headphones on a site which showed the frequency response so I've been playing around with the equaliser on the Android audio app I use (Rocket Player) to counteract that but I've need to listen to more music with and without that EQ before deciding to stick with it. I was prepared to spend more money on the headphones to be honest, but after reading/watching a bunch of reviews I couldn't see any benefit in spending the money. The HD800S were another £1000+ but are they £1000 better? (Plus they look horrible!). This hifi does a very good job of spatially locating the different instruments in a piece. It all sounds very natural to me. I'm not sure what else to say. Feel free to ask specific questions.

I will say that as a whole the amp doesn't get very hot and very little heat escapes the vent on top but the DAC module gets extremely hot and that heat is underneath the unit. As in almost too hot to touch hot. Might make sense to keep the unit on its side. Or drill some holes in the base and use it upside down? Perhaps I worry too much though. The (US) website does say the unit gets hot. I bought the amp from the UK distributor. Note that you get a 5 year warranty in the US on the Asgard 3, but only 3 years if you buy from the UK (apparently they'd have to put the price up if they wanted to offer 5 years here, according to an email).

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #578 of 2,862
Just sharing an experience:
When I moved to better headphones (other than my $50 Sony), I started to find some songs without sub-bass in my Momentum 2 Wireless, and some other songs had an insane amount of sub bass on those headphones.

I think worse headphones/speakers doesn't make the difference between sub-bass and mid bass, and puts all together in the same audible punchy bass.

Just my thoughts. Also, probably you have some EQ or something enabled in your iPad that are used to, and having that not present in the Asgard 3 makes you feel it doesn't sounds better than the iPad, because the iPad is not even close to drive 300ohm headphones properly.

When I had my first pair of decent headphones (ATH M50X) I could not stand without an EQ enabled because I felt they had no bass or warmth compared to my bae Sony headphones.

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #579 of 2,862
Just sharing an experience:
When I moved to better headphones (other than my $50 Sony), I started to find some songs without sub-bass in my Momentum 2 Wireless, and some other songs had an insane amount of sub bass on those headphones.

I think worse headphones/speakers doesn't make the difference between sub-bass and mid bass, and puts all together in the same audible punchy bass.

Just my thoughts. Also, probably you have some EQ or something enabled in your iPad that are used to, and having that not present in the Asgard 3 makes you feel it doesn't sounds better than the iPad, because the iPad is not even close to drive 300ohm headphones properly.

When I had my first pair of decent headphones (ATH M50X) I could not stand without an EQ enabled because I felt they had no bass or warmth compared to my bae Sony headphones.

I’m sure you’re right, and I’ll appreciate the Asgard more over time. I’m just wondering if I would have noticed a bigger improvement with $500 cans such as 660s into iPad over 6xx+Asgard+Modi.

I’m not regretting the 6xx because of sub bass. I’ve seen enough reviews and knew the trade offs. However, I’ve already heard tracks where the very bottom end is simply missing, and I’m not sure EQ would help. I’ll try.

I used to have some bass boost in Spotify app EQ for the MDR, but did turn it off for these comparisons. Soon I’ll try an EQ app on FLAC content from MacBook.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #581 of 2,862
OK, I have a Magni 3 and a Modi 2 Uber. The dac is now feeding my Asgard 3. I have a modded Fostex RP50 and the Senn. HD 6xx. On both headphones, more control of bass is evident. There is more "air" in the mids and high frequencies. The Senns are just wonderful, with the Asgard. The Magni is a nice amp and very good sounding. The Asgard 3 is just more "open" and the music magically appears. Really nice. One heck of a nice set up, Senns and the Asgard 3. Loads of detail and I doubt the amp seldom gets out of Class A, which into 320 ohms, is probably around 80-90 mw, for extremely loud levels.

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #584 of 2,862
Looks like the JDS is about 1/3 as powerful. What cans would you be (trying) to power with it?

For now it’ll be pushing a pit of hd6xx or dt770/80 but who knows what the future holds! Kind of looking at the hifiman sundara which are a lower impedance but also a lower sensitivity. I’m not suuuuuper concerned with absolute horsepower right now as much the quality of that horsepower.

Oct 12, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #585 of 2,862
I wonder if anyone out there has experience with this amp and the JDS Atom? Those are the two I’m torn between.
The comparable Schiit products to the Atom would be the Fulla and Magni (both $99, like the Atom). I haven't heard the Atom, but the Asgard 3 is unmistakably on a higher performance level from Fulla and Magni, as it should be at twice the price. The HD6XX would benefit from the extra power of the Asgard 3, and multiple posts (like this) have said it is a very good pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back