Schiit Asgard 2 vs Schiit Valhalla
Oct 21, 2018 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DaniRojo

Head-Fier
Ok, so I'm planning to buy a headphone amplifier to pair with my Onkyo Granbeat for night listening sessions. Headphones used would be Alessandro MS1 and German Maestro GMP 8.35 D but more frequently the latter one because of their closed back nature. Which one of those two Schiit amps will be a better pairing? I guess the Valhalla would be "warmer" and the Asgard would be "more clinical" due to their valve and SS nature respectively, but AFAIK the Asgard is well known for being quite warm for a SS amp and the Valhalla for being quite clean for a valve one. May you clear it up for me please?
Edit: another source would be my LG V30.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 10
Too many people think tube amps are always warm this is not true case in point Valhalla 2 one of the more solid state sounding tube amps I’ve heard and did own it a couple of years ago. I have not heard a Asgard so can’t say anything there but I know it is a powerful amp as most Schiit amps are. Why just these two amps as there are a lot more out there to choose from not a criticism just asking?

Oct 21, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Why only those two? Good answer... I guess it was a matter of simplifying choices I guess... This is a whole universe of options and I have to confess Schiit reputation and price/performance ratio pointed me in is direction. Anyway I accept all kind of suggestions since I think the very purpose of this forum is being open up to learn and not only trying to impose my criteria to everyone else...

Oct 21, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 10
I’m just not a big fan of some of the Schiit headphone amps. Some are ok and some not so much to me. I’m not a Schiit hater as I have a Yggdrasil,Mani,Freya and a Sys so they have gotten a good deal of money from me. I don’t know your headphones so can’t say. I own a pair of Grado RS-1’s and don’t know how close they are to the MS1’s. What is it you are looking for in a amp? Do you want warm or something more towards neutral?

Oct 21, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 10
I am a "guitar music" oriented listener, I mean everything blues/rock/metal between Robert Johnson and Slipknot. Most of my music is in FLAC 16/44 format and I'm not very technical or audiophile when it comes to describing sound, since I prefer using more "plain" terms. Instrument separation and fidelity to the original recording/production are the things that I appreciate in audio equipment so I'd say I have a preference for neutral sound. BTW good point about Schiit. I appreciate objective points of view.

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 10
Well I’m with you on that with guitar music as I play a little myself. Some Joe Bonamassa,Joe Satriani,Stevie Ray,Eric Johnson,Robert Fripp and the most underrated Frank Zappa as well as a lot others and I’m good.

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 10
Me too on a amateur musician and not sure I would be a audiophile either as I like what I like and some of it is pretty high end and sometimes can be happy with a low-Fi setup just depends on the mood.

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 10
Ok, so I'm planning to buy a headphone amplifier to pair with my Onkyo Granbeat for night listening sessions. Headphones used would be Alessandro MS1 and German Maestro GMP 8.35 D but more frequently the latter one because of their closed back nature. Which one of those two Schiit amps will be a better pairing? I guess the Valhalla would be "warmer" and the Asgard would be "more clinical" due to their valve and SS nature respectively, but AFAIK the Asgard is well known for being quite warm for a SS amp and the Valhalla for being quite clean for a valve one. May you clear it up for me please?
Edit: another source would be my LG V30.

Valhalla2's power delivery is reversed with peak power into 300ohms instead of 32/16ohms since it's an OTL amp. No problem for the Alessandro given its high sensiivity but check the GMP's.

That said, if you plan on getting other headphones in the future, that power delivery profile can be limiting, especially with the output impedance getting higher when it's set to high gain as even Sennheiser is slowly shifting to 150ohms from 300ohms.

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Valhalla2's power delivery is reversed with peak power into 300ohms instead of 32/16ohms since it's an OTL amp. No problem for the Alessandro given its high sensiivity but check the GMP's.

That said, if you plan on getting other headphones in the future, that power delivery profile can be limiting, especially with the output impedance getting higher when it's set to high gain as even Sennheiser is slowly shifting to 150ohms from 300ohms.
Good explanation, I didn't notice that. Appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back