Schiit Asgard 2 is real hot
Jun 4, 2015 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Cryozeal

New Head-Fier
As the title said, it's real HOT. I mean really hot....in term of temperature. Even the knob to adjust volume is sometimes too hot to the touch. Is this normal? or is there anything wrong with it. I've had it for only a few months.

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 14
I don't own an Asgard, but I'm pretty sure that it's a Class A amp and those tend to run pretty hot.  A lot of the heat probably escapes out of the top, too, so I wouldn't put too much stuff on it.  I doubt it would do much lasting damage, but better safe than sorry.

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 14
I heard that Schiit amps are usually hot so don't stack the amps. It makes the heat build up.

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 14
Mine gets quite warm but never too hot to touch, certainly not the volume knob.

from Schiit's website:

What does Class A really mean?
For us, Class A means Class A—that is, the output stage is running its maximum current all the time. This is a real Class A amp, biased by a current source. It can never go out of Class A. Protip: running a Class A amp hard into a difficult load actually causes it to run cooler. Please note this is not an invitation to destroy your hearing. This is just a bit of trivia. We probably should be telling you to practice safe listening, use a condom, sign this disclaimer before you turn up Asgard 2, don’t use the lawnmower as a hedge trimmer, coffee is hot, blah blah, but we don’t roll that way.
So, this thing runs damn hot, like Asgard?
If by “damn hot” you mean 40-45 degrees C, then yes.
And you’re not concerned with that?
Nope. The entire chassis is a heat sink, and we’re running the outputs well within their safe operating area, even derating for the operational temperature. Sorry, some engineerese crept in there.
But it still runs hot!
And technically, that’s still not a question. If you want an amp that runs cold, it’s best to look elsewhere.

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 14
My Asgard One runs so hot that you almost can't touch it. Totally normal. The knob is so hot you almost can not turn it.

Hot-hot-hot.
Enjoy!

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 14
Mine runs a bit hot, as expected. My volume knob may get warm but doesn't present any hot problems.

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 14
The output transitors are on the bottom right of the unit. Looking at the front. If you can stand it up volume knob on top. This will help with the cooling quite a bite. I also made a small fan just to add cooling. It's a pic fan very quite on the low setting.

Musicguy

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 14
Jun 6, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 14
If the ambient temp is high enough to begin with that you're using some kind of artificial cooling inside your room, like some kind of electric fan, then it can get hotter than what others get with it; just keep it in the path of that air and you won't need to worry about the long term at all.

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 14
  I also put Schiit Modi above it. Would it be alright in long term? Or would it turn to BBQ modi?

When I got Asgard 2 and Bifrost, Schiit recommended that I stack the Asgard 2 on top of the Bifrost (with the separating feet between them, of course), not the other way round. The Asgard 2 runs hot as you note, but the Bifrost below stays fairly cool. I'd be a bit wary of stacking anything on top of the Asgard 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back